Is this typical Aussie style?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
on4bam

Is this typical Aussie style?

Post by on4bam » 01 June 15 4:41 am

G'day all,

while looking for "worthy" caches I came accross a few "strange" listings. While listed as "Mystery" caches It looked like the container IS at the posted coordinates but it doesn't say so in the cache description. There are puzzles to be solved (code for opening the container, using water) before it's possible to get to the logbook.
I'm used to this sort of caches to be traditionals with a possible fieldpuzzle attibute. The only mysteries that are at the posted coordinates here are challenge caches where it clearly stated that "the cache is posted coordinates". All other mysteries need to be solved first.

Looks like I found one of these regional differences while caching (caching in Norway I got used to "micro's" not being what I was used too and a "small" might be micro sized :? )

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: Is this typical Aussie style?

Post by Dik: » 01 June 15 8:57 am

There was some discussion here a few years ago where the consensus was that a traditional cache should require no additional equipment or knowledge. A cache that required the finder to have 2 litres of water to access the cache was put up as this type. It was considered this should be a mystery. There was no field puzzle attribute in those days.
I have a cache were it is required to visit the posted coordinates listed as a mystery after complaints that one of my multis was a puzzle and should be a mystery. It took a long discussion with the reviewer to get the mystery status. In hindsight I think the reviewer was right and it should be a multi, but it can't be changed.

EuDes
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by EuDes » 01 June 15 11:33 am

on4bam wrote:... The only mysteries that are at the posted coordinates here are challenge caches where it clearly stated that "the cache is posted coordinates" ...
This is not always 100% true as some non-challenge mystery caches are at the posted coordinates but perhaps I'm saying too much. :-$ Whoops, probably strike my last comment. :-#

on4bam

Post by on4bam » 01 June 15 8:43 pm

EuDes wrote:
on4bam wrote:... The only mysteries that are at the posted coordinates here are challenge caches where it clearly stated that "the cache is posted coordinates" ...
This is not always 100% true as some non-challenge mystery caches are at the posted coordinates but perhaps I'm saying too much. :-$ Whoops, probably strike my last comment. :-#

Read "here" as here not where you are :D but yes... they sometimes they are

OK on the Mystery/trad. It would be a good idea to include "the cache is posted coordinates" on the mysteries that are really trads with puzzles. Good to know this is the way they get published "down under" as opposed to "up above" (or whatever you guys call N51°) :-"

I got 5000+ caches to review for selection by October, guess I'll have more questions as departure time get closer.

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 01 June 15 9:39 pm

EuDes wrote:
I found one in Dubai like that. After working out the puzzle, the co-ordinates were the same. (I don't usually bother with puzzle caches when travelling, but Dubai doesn't have many caches, so I solved this one to have another to find.)