So where/how do you draw the line re safety?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Re: So where/how do you draw the line re safety?

Post by biggles1024 » 18 May 16 8:44 pm

G'day Furrhan,
Furrhan wrote:So, as a new geocacher, the story in the OP post in this thread got me thinking. He mentioned that he found some needles while he was searching.
Gloves are often dictated in suburban caching due to the possible presence of both broken glass and needles. I wear leather "Riggers" gloves. They are around $10.00 per pair and can be purchased from suppliers of industrial workwear and safety equipment. Hardware stores might have them but they tend to stock brand name gloves in about 40 different varieties :roll: and charge like wounded bulls for them.
Furrhan wrote: How many of you wear gloves or use a pole or stick to poke under things to protect your hands while searching? What other supplies might be needed to do this safely?
"Poke it with a stick" is a maxim that applies to many geocaches throughout the world. Dangerous (to humans) wildlife may be avoided by doing so, likewise moving glass or rusty cans out of your way. Prodding with a stick into say a pile of mulch or sweeping a stick horizontally and listening for the tell-tale sound of either hollow plastic or tin (ammo can) can also be an effective way of locating a cache. When prodding, please do so carefully. We don't want to puncture the lid of a previously sound container.
As others have suggested, a mirror on a telescopic rod can also be useful. Such mirrors can be found at metal working suppliers for example https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Searc ... ion+Mirror I bought mine in a small kit along with a telescopic magnetic pickup for around $12.00 on sale.
Furrhan wrote: Obviously I'll carry my little first-aid kit and a water bottle and for longer hikes I'll take food. I have sturdy boots and shoes I can wear too. Anything else I should know in this regard? Bear in mind that I have done plenty of hiking in my time (Cradle Mountain, Mt. Roland, Mt. Farrell, Wentworth Falls/Valley of the Waters, Wineglass Bay, Magnetic Island to name a few places I've been) so I'm familiar with the Great Outdoors; I just don't know much about the specifics of geocaching yet.
Given your experience I suggest that you think of caching in the bush as a hike but one with a particular goal. Wear the same clothes and footwear and carry the same gear that you normally take on a hike which will be dependent on the duration, time of year and prevailing weather and then add to that, a few bits and pieces that you'll need for geocaching. You'll probably find that you already carry most, if not all of what you'll need for caching.

Here in Victoria, bush caches tend to be difficult to get to, but easy to find. The CO's have in mind that it is truly about the journey and so that part is made challenging but then if you've proven yourself and made it to GZ, your reward comes in the form of an easy to find geocache. \:D/ \:D/

Cheers,

Mark.

lucky1955
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by lucky1955 » 19 May 16 9:08 am

G'day Furrhan,

I have made a full recovery from my stroke, short story: 5 day coma part of 10 days on life support, a month quadriplegic then learnt to walk again. That was 16 years ago I was 44 at the time. Want more info check this link http://www.tbihome.org/members/peter/

Where do you thing my nickname comes from......

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 19 May 16 11:01 am

Furrhan wrote:So what kinds of gloves do you guys wear then? Gardening gloves or thick rubber gloves or disposable when it's just the yuk factor or what?
Happy Chappies wrote:To better the mirror idea, occasionally you'll see sales on simple inspection cameras.
You mean like those on the flexible cables with the screen in your hand? That would be cool. I bet they'd be expensive though...
They're not ridiculous. $200 retail (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations)

You occasionally see them on those groupon or oo.com.au sales. There's also even cheaper ones that plug into your phone - but no idea how good those are.

Must admit that a torch and a mirror is probably plenty good enough though :D

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 19 May 16 11:12 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:
Furrhan wrote:So what kinds of gloves do you guys wear then? Gardening gloves or thick rubber gloves or disposable when it's just the yuk factor or what?
Happy Chappies wrote:They're not ridiculous. $200 retail (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations)
There is the $80 7 meter usb recordable one too. Much cheaper but you need a computer or the like to see anything. I love how it has the hook, magnet and mirror options to add to it. And being SCA brand, I might just be able to get it half price! \:D/

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 31 May 16 1:17 pm

Here's a link that landed in my inbox today: USB camera for your (android) phone for $19....

Cheap way to trial one out in your caching kit.. Just ordered one myself actually!

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 31 May 16 5:46 pm

Neat! I love their description:
"Satisfy your curiosity and find out what your ear canals and nostrils really look like..." Haha

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 01 June 16 5:54 am

I've got one of these and it works great.
I haven't had a chance to use it while caching yet but there's at least one that I've dnf'd that I think it'll be useful for.
Only problem is it doesn't work on my new phone on USB-C.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 21 June 16 9:11 am

Happy Chappies wrote:Here's a link that landed in my inbox today: USB camera for your (android) phone for $19....

Cheap way to trial one out in your caching kit.. Just ordered one myself actually!
Well, mine arrived today...

Word of warning: Check your phone can handle OTG USB before purchasing! I only just discovered such a thing existed and surprised to find my regular phone (Moto E) doesn't handle it. Works on the Samsung tablet though so guess that'll be the weapon of choice for peeking and probing activities.

Otherwise works ok. Resolution is a bit meh, and holding it still for a clear view is the challenge, but looking forward to getting it out in the field sometime.

Furrhan
Twitter: FurrhanB

Post by Furrhan » 12 August 16 12:19 am

lucky1955 wrote:I have made a full recovery from my stroke,
Glad to hear it, Mark!
biggles1024 wrote:G'day Furrhan,
Some good advice in your post! Thanks for that biggles/Mark!
biggles1024 wrote:Gloves are often dictated in suburban caching due to the possible presence of both broken glass and needles. I wear leather "Riggers" gloves. They are around $10.00 per pair and can be purchased from suppliers of industrial workwear and safety equipment. Hardware stores might have them but they tend to stock brand name gloves in about 40 different varieties :roll: and charge like wounded bulls for them.
I've made myself a bit of a kit. I have a couple of pairs of disposable gloves, a thick and sturdy pair of heavy-duty rubber gloves (the big, black ones you can get from Woolies/Coles/etc.), and a round mirror with a light attached on a telescopic pole. Haven't got a hiking pole yet but I daresay I can get by without one. Hiking poles can be crazily expensive, it looks like! I've also got two pairs of tweezers/forceps, one longer and one short, and I have a pad, pencil and first aid kit. Add that to my GPS and phone and I think I'm well set! Anything else you can think of that I might need?

Don't think I'll shell out for a camera attachment though. I am on a budget after all.

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 12 August 16 8:34 am

Hello Furrhan

Walking poles on ebay at $20 for two pairs. Not as robust as the expensive varieties but just as handy. We've had ours for several years.