Daily email 'changed' caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Daily email 'changed' caches

Post by Yurt » 11 March 15 8:38 am

For a few weeks the daily email seems to sporadically have a list of "Changed caches" where the change is listed as, for example:

Name: #10 Jerrabomberra pathways -> #10 Jerrabomberra pathways

Now I can't actually see a change there so I guess it's something else going through the system. This particular series keeps showing up but there's a whole string of caches today with the same 'change'.

caughtatwork

Re: Daily email 'changed' caches

Post by caughtatwork » 11 March 15 8:49 am

It seems to be trailing spaces. Some files come through with a trailing space and others don't. So each time it changes, you can't see the change, but there's a change.

When I get a moment, I'll see if I can strip the leading / trailing spaces before doing an update.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 11 March 15 10:51 am

My Qld list had some it it as well this morning.

I did do imports on both states last night but cannot pin down anything that I did that would add a space. My thinking is that my import is actually removing a space which has been added some other way.

If my import was a problem it would have been showing a lot more caches than it did.

Next time I see any on the Qld email I will dig into it a bit further.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 13 March 15 8:04 am

Another string of these caches again today. The Jerrabomberra Pathways seem to appear regularly.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 March 15 9:05 pm

I'm sorry Yurt, I uploaded all the recently founds NSW & ACT caches last night. I have checked and my export settings from GSAK definitely don't have a leading or trailing space in the export field. I notice a few name changes in the output that I get from GCA Import, that I can't see the change in the text. I can't speak for anyone else who may be uploading these things, or if the GSAK output differs from a direct GPX import of the cache file from Groundspeak. But still I contributed close to 2000 logs to the database last night. So I hope I am doing the right thing. :?:

Maybe when the new server comes online the faeries will be able to resume their work and I won't need to assist keeping things up to date by uploading logs? Unless there are just too many caches in Oz now for the faeries to keep up with. Maybe the Petaybee* need to ask someone in each state to assist with regular uploads.

*Obscure Anne McCaffrey Scifi reference

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 March 15 9:15 pm

Richary wrote:Maybe when the new server comes online the faeries will be able to resume their work and I won't need to assist keeping things up to date by uploading logs?
Nope, that problem is not server related. We don't have a solution to magically get logs, sadly.

We are now 100% reliant on the community to update their logs etc.
It is all appreciated, but please, don't make it become a chore... if you can do it, great, if not, don't sweat it :-)

You never know, one day we might be allowed to use the GC API to access logs off their site.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (That'll never happen , we explicitly can't have access due to our domain name, amongst several other things)

Richary

Post by Richary » 13 March 15 9:41 pm

It's not a chore, the only bad part of it is that it takes so long to upload and process each file. The new server at your end will fix that part of it and make things a lot quicker I expect. Plus I need a newer PC here to process things at my end quicker to get rid of old logs etc before the upload.

But I can also understand that you don't want/need multiple people doing the same thing, especially if spaces or some slight difference in the export is going to lead to the name change issue that is happening on a regular basis. After all if I am uploading every cache log in NSW/ACT for the last 10 days once a week usually on a Thursday night, do we need someone else doing the same on another day? If someone else wants to take ownership for NSW I will stop doing it (and just upload my found logs as they happen). Perhaps that's the way to go, ask one person in each state to do the uploads and others not to. Just a thought.

Mine will stop for a couple of weeks during the Qld mega, though when I get back happy to update them even for the 2 weeks between uploads. I make sure that anything archived gets a refresh on GSAK so the archived logs can come through and be seen on the GCA site.

crew 153

Post by crew 153 » 13 March 15 10:51 pm

Like Richary I don't find it a chore. Also hoping that the new server will shorten the load times a bit.

Currently I am updating all states and NZ at least once a week wit PQs that are set for changes in the last 7 days. I then import them into GSAK with a macro that checks for >=5 new logs and then get the most recent 200 logs on the resultant filter of caches. A GPX generated from that filter is then imported.

I find that the problem is when cachers have double logged their finds and I still have both logs in my GSAK and import them both into GCA. I have not found an easy way to get rid of them from GSAK.

I will be cruising for 6 weeks from the end of April and probably wont be able to update much until I get back. I will try to at least download the PQs so that I can import them all later.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 March 15 1:21 pm

I've released a change to trim both left and right, so hopefully once the caches all come in and end up updated, this will hopefully no longer switch back and forth.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 25 March 15 10:09 am

Here it is again today with three others and the rest were in yesterday's email.
Changed Caches:
=========================================================
#10 Jerrabomberra pathways by justjessie (Jerrabomberra) 252.87km South West
GCA: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc48805
Other: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=gc48805
Google Map: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc48805.gmap
Changes:
- Name: #10 Jerrabomberra pathways -> #10 Jerrabomberra pathways

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 March 15 11:36 am

Yurt wrote:Here it is again today with three others and the rest were in yesterday's email.
Changed Caches:
=========================================================
#10 Jerrabomberra pathways by justjessie (Jerrabomberra) 252.87km South West
GCA: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc48805
Other: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=gc48805
Google Map: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc48805.gmap
Changes:
- Name: #10 Jerrabomberra pathways -> #10 Jerrabomberra pathways
Yep, it's gone from a trailing space to no trailing space. This is expected as the tidy up continues with older cache records being updated to the no trailing space value.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 26 March 15 8:40 am

As we no longer get large daily updates, this will keep occurring as cache updates trickle in. It may go on for some time.

Are these update notifications of GC caches of any use to anyone nowadays, especially given the more unreliable nature of the feeds now?

The Morris
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by The Morris » 26 March 15 6:46 pm

I like to see the new caches each day but can live without the changes to caches part. I get the GC notifications in my area anyway and there is way too many outside of that to care about anymore.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 26 March 15 7:08 pm

I really never look at the updates, only the new caches are of interest to me.

Thanks for all your hard work. =D>

Richary

Post by Richary » 27 March 15 9:16 pm

Just wondering if it would be easy for the admins to do a bulk change and strip all leading and trailing spaces from the database as they are now being ignored from the updates, perhaps somehow isolated from the "changed caches" notifications?