help a newbe please

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TT350

help a newbe please

Post by TT350 » 24 July 14 10:58 pm

Hi all this is my first chat and very first time looking at caching , am I missing something ? I have been searching caches in my area York WA but can not find any map coordinates only descriptions and riddles , can someone point me in the right direction thanks

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: help a newbe please

Post by Goldenwattle » 25 July 14 12:40 am

I had a look at the map of the GC caches in York, Western Australia. (East of Perth, in case there is more than one York.) From your description you are talking about puzzle caches, but I can't see even one puzzle cache in the town of York. They are all normal caches and one multi. Please give us some examples of the caches you are referring to.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 25 July 14 9:08 am

You need to have an account at geocaching.com and be logged in with your user name & password to see co-ordinates. Otherwise you will be seeing a big picture with a small prompt to log in above the cache notes.
An account is free. There is the option of premium membership, which is paid, but not necessary for a beginner.

TT350

Post by TT350 » 25 July 14 10:20 am

Hi I have an account and am logged on , I can't find any map , I have a list of caches in York and click on one but no map comes up , I also click on find a cache near me and get a list but no map or corodinates ? :?:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 July 14 10:33 am

Are you doing this on the Geocaching Australia site for caches listed at Geocaching.com or are you doing this on the geocaching.com website?

TT350

Post by TT350 » 25 July 14 3:27 pm

I am doing it from the Geo Au site , do I need a log in for the other goe.com as well ? It propped me to joint Face book which I prefer not to do

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 July 14 4:02 pm

Aha. Yes, you will need an account over there too. Geocaching Australia has caches listed on the other site, but only for statistics purposes. To get access to the details of the cache you'll need to head to the original listing site.

TT350

Post by TT350 » 25 July 14 4:54 pm

Thanks to all I finally got it :D

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 26 July 14 8:49 am

Another thing that might help, is go to your GCA account page (in the tabs at the top of the CGA page there is one that says 'my'. Click on that and choose 'account'.

Scroll down until you find 'My closest caches (google maps)' and click on the link under that heading.

Provided you have entered your home co-ordinates in your settings for GCA it will open a map centred on where you live and show you all the cache types near by. Just give it a bit of time - sometimes you will see only a map - it needs to process the information to show caches on the map.

I use this all the time to plan which caches to look for, and if you scroll the map it will refresh and show you caches in the area you have moved the map to. Great for planning if you are going somewhere further from home.