OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Oz Mega Committee
Location: Committee for OZ MEGA geocaching mega events around Australia.We are a non profit incorporated assoc

OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS

Post by Oz Mega Committee » 22 June 14 9:05 pm

The Oz Mega Committee , Director of Tourism NT,Mark Crummy, Minister for Tourism Central Australia ,Matt Conlan ,Mayor of Alice Springs ,Damien Ryan and the local Alice Springs caching group are very proud to announce that the OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS Geocaching Mega Event is set for Easter , 2017.

MEDIA RELEASE

The Centre set to cash in on Geocaching
Matt Conlan 
Minister for Central Australia, Minister for Tourism
22 June 2014
Alice Springs has been chosen as the site for an international GPS treasure hunt event which will attract up to 1,500 people from around the world.
Minister for Tourism Matt Conlan said he was excited to announce the Geocaching Mega Event will be held at Easter in 2017.
“This will be a fantastic event that will bring more tourists to the Centre while also providing invaluable international exposure for our region,” he said.
Geocaching is a worldwide phenomenon where participants use GPS technology on smart phones and apps to locate caches of various items at different locations on a type of treasure hunt.
Mr Conlan said that there were more than six million geocachers worldwide and 62,000 of those are in Australia.
“Tourism organisations around the world are encouraging geocaching to attract visitors and increase engagement with destinations and attractions,’’ he said.
“Not only does a treasure hunt encourage visitation, it also enriches a visitor experience and extends the length of stay.
“Alice Springs is quickly becoming a hot spot for geocaching and in addition to the announcement of the Mega Event to be held in 2017 was recently the site of the 2,000,000th worldwide ‘Geocache’.
“All up there are 240 geocaches placed in Alice Springs and surrounds and about 1500 in the NT. The Territory has some extremely active geocachers – but in this slightly secretive sport, there are three teams in Alice Springs – known as 2 lost souls, Griffs90 and Redcentredazza – that are particularly prominent.
“Geocachers are known to love the outdoors – which means walking, trekking, 4WDing, camping, caravanning and fishing all help in the pursuit of tracking and finding the Geocaches.
“Many of the people coming to Alice Springs for this event will spend a lot of time travelling around the NT, and seeing a side of the Territory that few people appreciate. These people will become the perfect ambassadors for telling the world about their unique Territory experience – which is often the best kind of advertising.’’
Oz Mega Event Organising Committee member Greg Shaw said a group from the organising committee went to Alice Springs last week to inspect facilities.
“The home base will be at Blatherskite Park – which is a brilliant site and the facilities are excellent,’’ Mr Shaw said.
“On top of that, the scenery is spectacular around Central Australia, which is perfect to appreciate and explore for people involved in this sport. This sport is growing at a rapid rate and we know those who come to the NT from will have an unforgettable experience.’’
Mayor Damien Ryan said: “With its specular natural landscapes and top class tourism facilities, Alice Springs is the perfect host for the Geocaching Mega Event. We look forward to welcoming participants in 2017 to our iconic outback town.”

THE SITE:BLATHERSKITE PARK…… http://blatherskitepark.com.au/
All the details of the 55 acre venue site can been seen here..
Over 200 powered sites will be available, unlimited flat camping spots, plenty of mens and ladies toilets and shower facilities plus security fencing all around. It’s only 2 km’s from the centre of town, has 5 bar mobile reception, on ground caretakers, and stunning views of the mountains seemingly within hands reach. Prices for registration and camping will be similar to our previous similar OZ MEGA events.$2,000 will go into a special fund with Geostuff.com.au for the local “Caching in Alice “ group to use in the 6 months prior to set up plenty of small and medium sizes caches highlighting many spots.This will also compliment their own plans of a large distribution of caches in all directions.There will be a full Fireworks Spectacular using the colourful mountains as as scenic backdrop conducted by Team Crackers http://www.southerncrossfireworks.com.au/home.htm

SPONSORS:

We welcome on board our Diamond Sponsor in the Alice Springs Council who will play a huge part in the event.
We congratulate http://geostuff.com.au as a $5,000 cash Diamond Sponsor who will handle all the merchandise and be onsite with a triple stall within one of the many large buildings.

We are very proud to announce the Major Sponsor for the event is Tourism NT http://www.travelnt.com/ & http://www.tourismnt.com.au/. Major Sponsorship is a minimum $10,000 cash package and Tourism NT will also be using their resources for overseas advertising.

We are proud to release tonight the official OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS FACEBOOK PAGE…. https://www.facebook.com/pages/OZ-MEGA- ... e=bookmark

If you have not been to Alice Springs before ,please have a look at this video presentation of some of the caches and highlights of the venue , Alice Springs and other must see spots:
OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS YOUTUBE

Don’t forget to support the local “Caching out in Alice “ facebook group.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/511350785605060/

Grahame Cookie
5000 or more caches found

Re: OZ MEGA ALICE SPRINGS

Post by Grahame Cookie » 23 July 14 11:30 am

Hi, from NSW (tho I do have Challenge cache in Darwin)
Only after I had placed the Well Travelled cache in Darwin did I get to realise the vast distances that don't have any geocaches in the Northern Territory. I am assuming that largely it is because of the Groundspeak rule where a) you need to live within 100 miles (160 kilometers) of the cache you propose, or b) have someone who does live with 80 kilometers who is prepared to maintain it if necessary. All fair enough.
I have however noticed that there are a LOT of trig stations (500+) in the Geocaching Australia database in the Northern Territory, most of which have not been visited, and am wondering if someone in the North End could investigate the possibility of being allowed to have the permission to attache a cache to the trig stations. It may be necessary to have the appropriate caches listed in GCA, but it may also increase awareness in the community, and hopefully get some interest not just in Darwin and Alice Springs but other areas of the NT.
We have a Geocaching NSW 'body' that speaks up for our local cachers and represents us to the National Parks, etc, and I don't know if you have something similar, but if not, it may be something to think about.
Cheers, Grahame Cookie
gwcooke@y7mail.com 0416 067 863, and yes, I would LOVE to come to your Mega

2Lost-Souls
Twitter: @Amanda467

Post by 2Lost-Souls » 24 July 14 10:16 am

Hi Grahame,

I'll attempt to answer your questions - I live in Alice Springs and my partner is the Regional Chief Ranger for the West District of the NT Parks & Wildlife Commission. He's also working on a geocaching policy for NT Parks right now. Our input has ensured that this is policy will be a geocaching-friendly one.

1. Geocaching on NT parks. NT Parks TOTALLY supports geocaching. There is (and will not be) any kind of NSW-style hoops to jump through to place caches on parks. You simply need to place the cache in a place that is: a) NOT dangerous to the public (i.e. the side of a cliff at Kings Canyon - one cache was placed here many years ago); b) is not in a sensitive environment where cacher trails will create erosion. Given the low volume of cachers in most NT Parks, this second issue is not a 'biggy'. When placing a cache on NT Parks, it would be common courtesy to email the head ranger and let them know where it is and what it looks like.

2. The first matter you raised regarding the placing caches at trigs is far more problematic. I should give you a background on myself so you know I'm talking from an informed place and not through my hat. I was the Director of Research at the NT Aboriginal Sacred Sites Authority - I worked there for many years. It was my job to understand land tenures and access under various pieces of legislation. 53% of the NT is Aboriginal land, and pastoral leases/holdings occupy most of the rest. If you think placing a cache in a NSW National Park is difficult, then gaining permission to place one on Aboriginal land is like an assault on Mt Everest back in 1923... The white lawyer-run Land Councils who 'administer' Aboriginal land are not pro-access to anyone other than Aboriginal people - even if many Aboriginal people would be largely indifferent to geocaching! Pastoralists can also be a tricky lot - again, the majority are not open to people accessing their land unless there's a public road running through their place. Whilst I'm not saying that they wouldn't allow access to a trig point for someone who wanted to climb/walk to it, I'm saying that it would be a labour-intensive process and most of us have jobs...

3. HOWEVER, given that there is very strong NT Government (NTG) support for Geocaching, one possibility for trig access on pastoral leases may be to ask the NTG to assist with advice or even access/introductions. We would probably need some kind of written letter from GCA as we NT cachers don't have an official body. As control of Aboriginal Land is not by the NT but the Commonwealth Government (the NT Aboriginal Land Rights Act is a Commonwealth Act), well... I imagine that would be like chasing rabbits down holes at this point in time.

4. Placing caches in the NT. In Central Australia (note that we are NOT called 'the Top End' or the 'north end' here), please get in touch with local caching teams, either here or through the Caching Out in Alice Facebook page. We are happy to maintain other people's caches.

Hope this helps - sorry it's not all good news, apart from the national parks front.

Amanda

Grahame Cookie

Post by Grahame Cookie » 24 July 14 10:33 am

Thanks very much for the reply Amanda (2-Lost Souls)
I saw Calypso62 had 'a mention' on your video, and as I am putting a trig based proposal to Geocaching NSW at their next AGM (he is on the board) I will ask if anyone knows what they consider the best type of container is for such environments of extremes. I believe the sistema type would not last long in the intense cold and hot.
It seems in NSW we have map overlays that show National Parks, (making it easier to work out who to contact), and I will ask if there is something similar for other restrictions in the Northern Territory.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 July 14 6:19 pm

2Lost-Souls wrote:3. HOWEVER, given that there is very strong NT Government (NTG) support for Geocaching, one possibility for trig access on pastoral leases may be to ask the NTG to assist with advice or even access/introductions. We would probably need some kind of written letter from GCA
Just FYI: GCA isn't an official or representative body or organisation in any manner.