A very personal decision

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

A very personal decision

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 23 May 14 11:26 am

Ok, soapbox time...

[soapbox]

Australia's biggest ever kidney swap was performed in Melbourne yesterday. Six very ill people were given a new chance at life through the incredible generosity of others. Channel 7 news

It's a fact of life. We're all going to cark it one day. Maybe some of us can give a parting gift to others as we're heading off to other places (insert your own religious/non-religious beliefs here)...
Have you ever thought about registering as an organ donor?
It's easy.
It's free.
It's an incredible gift to others. =D>
Check out the Medicare Organ Donor Register for more info and please MAKE SURE YOUR LOVED ONES KNOW YOUR WISHES.

[/soapbox]

Waz - a kidney recipient.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: A very personal decision

Post by ian-and-penny » 23 May 14 3:18 pm

We are both registered as organ donors. We have informed our relatives etc of our wishes, but it still peeves us off that the current legislation still allows our immediate family to override our wishes should they choose to.

The donor register should be an "opt out" not an "opt in" register, and nobody should be able to countermand the wishes of the deceased donor whatever their reason.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 23 May 14 7:19 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote: MAKE SURE YOUR LOVED ONES KNOW YOUR WISHES.
This is the key part (and the problem with opt out systems). When you die it is your family who decides whether or not to donate and if you haven't told everyone who might be there at the end about your strong wishes then they can just say "Well s/he never told me about that" and say no.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 23 May 14 7:53 pm

Sorry, and I can sympathise with your thoughts, but if you can't give a GPS location for your kidneys, is this appropriate on this site?

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 23 May 14 8:22 pm

nutwood wrote:Sorry, and I can sympathise with your thoughts, but if you can't give a GPS location for your kidneys, is this appropriate on this site?
That is why it is called "General chit chat" No one is forcing you to read it.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 23 May 14 9:43 pm

noikmeister wrote:
nutwood wrote:Sorry, and I can sympathise with your thoughts, but if you can't give a GPS location for your kidneys, is this appropriate on this site?
That is why it is called "General chit chat" No one is forcing you to read it.
Fair comment. I withdraw!

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 23 May 14 10:51 pm

nutwood wrote:...but if you can't give a GPS location for your kidneys...
Sorry, kidney cache is currently unavailable.

ian-and-penny wrote:The donor register should be an "opt out" not an "opt in" register
There was some talk in WA government and medical circles in 2012 about the organ donor register in Wales becoming an opt-out register. Not sure if this has gained any further momentum yet in Australia yet.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 01 June 14 12:27 am

I have been on the organ donors register for many years and Ian knows of and respect my wish, Ian on the other hand is total opposite of me and doesn't wish to donate. What I find sad is that when I die chances are extremely high that my organs will go with me and not because someone has gone against my wish but because I don't live in a place that is capable of taking organs. :( My understanding is only those who die in a major hospital in a city are able to donate.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 01 June 14 5:15 pm

The other consideration apart from being on the registry, and informing your next of kin of your wishes, is that it is no longer counted if you just nominate on your drivers licence. You now need to actually register with the organ donor registry, as they don't recognise the statement on your licence any more.

Erik

Post by Erik » 03 June 14 2:43 am

Hello,

I also thought about registering a couple of times but was never sure if I should really do it.
I have to admit that I am afraid of having a big operation. I have so far never been to hospital for a serious occasion. Only little injuries so far. I would love to help others but on the other hand can't get rid of my fear.
Maybe I will considder it again and change my mind.
Anyway - All the best for all of you

:)

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 June 14 10:34 am

To make it easier to consider donating an organ just think of someone really close to you and imagine life without them should they need and. to receive an organ, think how you would feel if some anominous person had donated. It helps put it all into perspective.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 June 14 11:39 pm

Erik wrote:Hello,

I also thought about registering a couple of times but was never sure if I should really do it.
I have to admit that I am afraid of having a big operation. I have so far never been to hospital for a serious occasion. Only little injuries so far. I would love to help others but on the other hand can't get rid of my fear.
Maybe I will considder it again and change my mind.
Anyway - All the best for all of you

:)
I wouldn't want to have a big operation either, and would go into it with some trepidation.

But if they are looking at taking some of your organs to help other people, you are already past the point of no return. They aren't going to be asking you while you are conscious if they can put you under to harvest something. You will be probably brain dead with no hope of resuscitation before they even think about taking things. Then they need to ask the family if they give consent as well, if they don't then it doesn't happen.

Personally I think if anything from my body can help someone after I die, then they are welcome to it. It's not going to be of any use to me. And if I get buried with a couple of bits missing then I am not going to be around to care.

The Big Kids

Post by The Big Kids » 15 November 14 8:42 pm

Hmmmmm... It is a very personal decision. Saying that, our son would not be alive today if a family had not chosen to pass on their sons kidney when he died in a tragic accident. It's.an extremely humble experience which we are still so very grateful for. It's given our son a future as an adult... Something he (or us) never thought he would have. I understand the fear of a big operation & I would never presume to tell someone they should or should not donate. If however you do decide to donate, know that you will not be changing just one life... You'll be changing families forever. On the flip side, no-one I've ever met in our position has ever held a grudge for those 'missed' organs. We understand how precious life is & how difficult this decision is. Hope this helps.