Which way do you put a log book back--

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Which way do you put a log book back--

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 02 May 14 11:08 pm

into an eclipse tin.

Our recent 4 week trip to Oz Mega gave us a find total of around 430 caches. A lot of caches these days are eclipse tins- not the best but they seems to be gaining popularity. In addition, a log book with a staple at one end is a popular addition, along with a pencil.

No doubt, some of you have had the same problem I had, getting a stuck log book out of the tin. If you replace the log book staple first, the opening end spreads, making the book darn difficult to get out. If, instead, you replace it by squeezing the opening end of the log book, and put that end into the tin first, it makes getting the log book out- staple end first- much easier for the next cacher.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Bundy

WazzaAndWenches

Re: Which way do you put a log book back--

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 03 May 14 12:04 am

replace it by squeezing the opening end of the log book, and put that end into the tin first, it makes getting the log book out- staple end first- much easier for the next cacher.
Absolutely. And while we're at it, how about finding the cacher/cachers who insist in then jamming a heap of worthless oversized swaps into the tin preventing the lid from closing properly and threatening to dump them (the cacher) in the bag at the next CITO event.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 03 May 14 6:47 am

And how about rolling up the log and putting it into the LID of a bison tube before screwing it back on!!

jinkyandjohn

Post by jinkyandjohn » 11 May 14 10:56 am

Ah man, don't get me started! I'm for the CITO solution!

Cheers
John
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:into an eclipse tin.
No doubt, some of you have had the same problem I had, getting a stuck log book out of the tin. If you replace the log book staple first, the opening end spreads, making the book darn difficult to get out. If, instead, you replace it by squeezing the opening end of the log book, and put that end into the tin first, it makes getting the log book out- staple end first- much easier for the next cacher.

jinkyandjohn

Post by jinkyandjohn » 11 May 14 10:58 am

Actually this is one of those "obvious in hindsight things." I know it was only after watching another cacher replacing the log, that I thought "of course." But then maybe I'm slow, or had more non-caching experience with Eclipse style containers.

Cheers
John
ian-and-penny wrote:And how about rolling up the log and putting it into the LID of a bison tube before screwing it back on!!

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 18 May 14 11:56 pm

Aghhhh!, I hate mint tins for this very reason, the rolled edge often makes it almost impossible to get the logs out. Sorry rinsemesocks :wink:

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 19 May 14 8:49 am

I have to admit that one of my hides is a mint tin, but my log book is inside a zip lock bag and is only a single sheet for a printed log, so it is easy to get in and out. :griffin

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 19 May 14 8:56 am

Ahh, yes, but then the zip lock bag- very often about 4 times the size required- becomes caught under the lip and tears, or the pencil, included with the logbook in the oversized baggie (another pet hate of mine) pokes a hole in the bag.

Don't get me wrong, I have some Eclipse tin caches.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 19 May 14 10:06 am

I fold the logbook neatly expelling any air from the bag & push it back in gently.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 19 May 14 12:27 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Ahh, yes, but then the zip lock bag- very often about 4 times the size required- becomes caught under the lip and tears, or the pencil, included with the logbook in the oversized baggie (another pet hate of mine) pokes a hole in the bag.
Not mine - I make sure they are fit in and don't get caught etc.

I figure if I am going to hide a cache I want it to last, and thus make a bit more of an effort.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 19 May 14 2:02 pm

Yes I wish people would secure a supply of micro ziplock bags for these caches. The sandwich size is useless in a mint tin as when you fold the seal over it comes open and allows moisture in.

Officeworks has the micro zip lock bags - not the tiniest ones but the right size for the mint tin type cache.
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi ... lable-bags
They even have some smaller ones which seem to be available online only.