Locationless Geocache etiquette

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
spatialriq
5500 or more caches found

Locationless Geocache etiquette

Post by spatialriq » 19 March 14 3:22 pm

What's the etiquette regarding locationless geocaches that you own with regard to 'finding' them yourself? :-k

This is one of mine http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga5438 ... just wondering if I can log it?

Not fussed either way, just interested in the general consensus.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Re: Locationless Geocache etiquette

Post by the Monkey King » 19 March 14 5:22 pm

I enjoy coming up with locationless caches, but I never log them as a find despite it is very tempting.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 19 March 14 5:53 pm

I have only published a few locationless and I wondered the same at one point in time. After seeing other CO's claiming their own I came up with this reasoning to make me happy to log one of my own as a found.

To publish a GCA or GC cache the rules are the rules and the GZ is at one spot and you know where that is as you put it there. Locationless. I must have seen something to make me think about publishing a locationless that I thought others would find interesting. Other than the original location that prompted the publishing I would have had to have been travelling the country and came upon other examples of my locationless and at the time of publishing this, I was not aware that this or these others existed. I would not go over board on my own and claim heaps but one or two I would be happy with. In regards to your example if it was mine and I found three or more FTF's in one day especially my last lot as I found 7 in one day after driving for 10hours in total and covering about 500Kms from home and that is not a return distance either. These had been published for at least three weeks without a claim. I live in a rural area and have to drive a minimum of 200k to begin caching these days so I have less caches in my immediate than a cacher who resides in a populated area/city.
Individual choice. My thoughts only and not going to enter into a debate over this.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 March 14 7:04 pm

The only rule on locationless cache would be one on the cache page. As there's no rule on the cache page, knock yourself out and log it.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 19 March 14 7:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. So that's basically 2 yes, and 1 no ... but not including those 1300 votes that were lost during the last federal election in WA :lol:

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Logging Your Own Locationless Caches

Post by pjmpjm » 19 March 14 11:49 pm

spatialriq wrote:What's the etiquette regarding locationless geocaches that you own with regard to 'finding' them yourself? :-k This is one of mine http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga5438 ... just wondering if I can log it? Not fussed either way, just interested in the general consensus.
A good question . . . oft discussed. :)

I think caughtatwork's answer is definitive . . .

BananaSource

Post by BananaSource » 20 March 14 1:43 am

Personally, I'd treat them like any other cache type and wouldn't log my own.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 20 March 14 7:49 pm

Yeah log them. Just don't go and claim FTF.

If it's your special interest and you'd like to find more of XYZ then why not encourage others to find them and then use it as a handy way to record where the XYZs are.

It's only a game folks. Play it how you like but play nice.