Canberra with a caravan

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
DisSister
3000 or more caches found

Canberra with a caravan

Post by DisSister » 23 February 14 10:35 am

Not strictly caching related but we're heading to Camberra for a few days on our way home from Melbourne in the week after Easter.

Looking at the available caravan parks and reading reviews has left me underwhelmed.
Is anyone able to offer any guidance?
Have considered Cotter Campground but worried about availability at that time of year.
We're going to do the tourist thing as the kids have never been to Canberra so we'd prefer to stay within about 15-20mins drive of the centre.

And while we're talking Canberra, can we get some quick, easy but good family cache suggestions please? Educational / historical multis are a possibility too. The geokids are between 13 and 8.
The rest of the family are sadly not addicted but I can't possibly pass through without grabbing at least a handful.

Thanks

dingbat12
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: Canberra with a caravan

Post by dingbat12 » 24 February 14 8:13 am

As a caravanner I agree I would be underwhelmed by the local parks from people's comments but it appears that EPIC (show grounds) is a popular choice. Others I would probably consider are the one on Black Mountain in Oconnor and the Queanbeyan Riverside one. I don't think the Cotter campground is currently open. The parks out on the Federal Highway at Sutton are too far away for my choice and often full of school kids on bus tours.

As for caches, I think you would find that there are plenty around the normal attractions in central Canberra like the War Memorial, Parliament House and the other significant national buildings in the area together with the lake foreshores that would satisfy your criteria of history and education as well as speedy finds.

Edit - according to the TAMS (local government) website the cotter campground is open

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 06 March 14 8:18 pm

We have used the EPIC centre a few times, it is really good value compared to caravan parks. :D

DisSister

Post by DisSister » 06 March 14 8:39 pm

Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately EPIC is not available in that week.
Will check out the other suggestions.

I agree caching at attractions will be our best option. Thanks for suggesting it.