New Trans continent Cache series

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

New Trans continent Cache series

Post by gmj3191 » 17 January 14 1:47 pm

Although I have been given the move along now, others may be interested in this.
I just copied and pasted the Facebook commentary which hasn't come out all that well.
=================================== From the SE Qld Caching Facebook Group
Jane Harrison
The Australia Wide Geocache Group had reached a shortlist of 3 options for a theme of the first series.

The goal of the group is to network cachers everywhere to be part of a series, either run by the group, or privately by cachers, so they we can have series that stretch the continent. There will be bonus mystery caches for people who find a percentage of them.

Please come and join and have your vote and share your ideas
Like · · 18 hours ago near Forest Lake

Geoff Jamieson Sounds like the GCA Bourke and Wills series which was done a few years ago. I'll add one of the series below.
19 hours ago · Edited · Like · 1

Geoff Jamieson http://geocaching.com.au/cache/GA2321

GA2321 - B&W (V) Princes Bridge by Geocaching Australia - Geocaching Australia - Free and Open...
geocaching.com.au
The home of Aussie Geocaching, with cache listings, forums, newsletters and leaderboard.
19 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview

Wendy Sutcliffe Thanks for that link Geoff, I hadn't thought to look for GCA caches in Melbourne.
16 hours ago · Like

Wendy Sutcliffe The camel icons are cute.
16 hours ago · Like

Geoff Jamieson That series goes right up the centre of the continent
16 hours ago · Like · 2

Jane Harrison Perhaps there is a misunderstanding, Geoff. The goal is for many cachers all over Australia without interstate connections to be part of a larger series. To collaborate together.
There may already be a series dedicated to another explorer, but it's not the exact idea we're thinking off. But thankyou for highlighting another great series
15 hours ago · Like

Geoff Jamieson Just saying, that series seems exactly what you want to do so looking at how it was done might be useful. Also, the GCA forum gives you a means of contacting cachers across the country. The new series doesnt have to be GCA, could be Gc. Com.
5 hours ago · Like

Jane Harrison Actually no, Geoff. The series that you're mentioning isn't at all what is being discussed. The only similarity is that it has an explorer in the name.
The GCA forum isn't for everyone. Some people prefer the one stop shop of Facebook much easier to navigate and network.

There's some fantastic and creative ideas being discussed for following series and I can't wait for it all to unfold.
about an hour ago · Edited · Like

Geoff Jamieson Well I'll bow out. Just thought you'd be interested in a previous series that spanned the continent and a way to quickly contact cachers in other states to join your facebook group.
4 minutes ago · Like

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: New Trans continent Cache series

Post by CraigRat » 17 January 14 7:46 pm

Don't forget the I've Cached Everywhere Man (ICEM) series, also GCA, also national, also individuals contributing to a bigger thing.
http://geocaching.com.au/tags/view/all/icem/au/

(Mentioning GCA in some of these FB groups can be dangerous don't ya know :lol: :lol: )

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: New Trans continent Cache series

Post by Richary » 17 January 14 11:57 pm

The GCA forum isn't for everyone. Some people prefer the one stop shop of Facebook much easier to navigate and network.
I realise many people use fb to connect to local cachers (as I do). But for an Australia wide thing it's useless. How many fb groups do I want to part of to cover everywhere from here to Perth, include Melbourne or Tasmania where I go occasionally. Or Queensland if work takes me north.

I much prefer this forum to fb posts, and am only a member of one group on fb that sort of covers the area near me. And a couple in Adelaide where friends are from when I lived there.

But then I am old school having been online since pre-internet days with newsgroups and so on.