Are iPhones bad news for GCA?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Are iPhones bad news for GCA?

Post by Tyreless » 06 January 14 6:34 am

nutwood wrote:The thing is, I'm using an Android phone. The question is, how do you fare if you've got an iPhone? Does GeoSphere treat all caches alike?
Geosphere treats them the same in most ways. There are some differences when it comes to posting field notes and it treats movables as mystery/puzzle caches. Generally speaking, though, the GC and GCA caches are handled in the same way.

Geoff aka Tyreless

MrHyde
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by MrHyde » 11 January 14 12:47 pm

I noticed today that the new update of c:geo added support for extremcaching.com; so I decided to have a closer look at what that meant and I discovered that c:geo does have support for a number of other sites including opencaching.com. That means I no longer need the separate opencaching app.

I'm thinking that if approached, the developers of c:geo may be able to also implement support for GCA API; thereby providing a single app for all caching sites (atleast the ones I would like to use).

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 02 February 14 8:55 pm

Yes !! Yess !! and Yessss!! :P
They are popularising, or as the Americans say, popularizing geocaching to hoardes of idiots who have never stepped foot outside of their comfort zone and think that this must be a good idea :lol:

Get a personal trainer people, or an exercise bike and leave them under the bed after using them for a couple of weeks !!
Stop wrecking geocaches and letting your kids rehide them with the stupid zip-lock plastic bag trapped under the seal and letting in water :shock:

Take a deep breath "If" 8-[

OK!! More geocachers are good news, revenue wise for Groundspeak, but the overall effect is a diluting of the original intentions of geocaching !! :shock:

A quality hide in a quality location !! :D

Now we have uncountable newbies hiding uncountable rubbish caches with mobile phone coords all over our cities.
Thank heavens they haven't gotten out of the cities :D

You can still find a good old entertaining cache out in the country (usually) =D>

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 03 February 14 9:24 am

There's nothing wrong with finding using a phone.

Hiding with a phone is another matter though. ](*,)

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 07 February 14 10:30 pm

I'm always using a phone to find caches, depending on the phone it is usually more then sufficent. If I'm out bush however I'll only have the phone for the cache description etc. I have one of the old yellow Etrex's so it doesn't store info.
As for bad news for GCA, probably not. The increase GC.com traffic will mostly be by those who do it for a week or so and then give up and so would never look at gca anyway. The only downside would be the increase in rubbish urban caches, giving a new person to many cache choices so the ones that do stick around may not be inclined to look elsewhere.
There are some people who do find GCA first. One of my GCA caches recently had someones very first cache find