seasonal themed caches?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

seasonal themed caches?

Post by the Monkey King » 17 December 13 6:38 pm

I have an idea for a themed cache, but not sure it I can place it according to the guidelines:

GCA = "The cache is not temporary, but rather is expected to be in place for three months or longer."

and

GC = "(caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published."

Having seen the "Wyndham Lights" http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCHB ... 5a2cab0510 Cache which only appears for x weeks each Christmas I was wondering if the fact the cache is active every year if this is what makes it long term, and thus acceptable.

The idea I have for this cache is not a once off event, but it won't appear for three months at a time... instead it would appear eight times a year for two weeks, and for more than one year (each year once it has been placed is the intention).

is this totally against the guide lines, and thus can't be created, or could I plan the cache as I am thinking?

caughtatwork

Re: seasonal themed caches?

Post by caughtatwork » 17 December 13 6:55 pm

GCA is a guideline only. You want to do what you want, knock yourself out. We check temporarily disabled caches after they had been TD'd for >90 days, so your cache may end up archived ... but at GCA you can just a log an Unarchived log against it and have it resurrected (as such).

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: seasonal themed caches?

Post by gmj3191 » 18 December 13 12:16 am

the Monkey King wrote: Having seen the "Wyndham Lights" http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCHB ... 5a2cab0510 Cache which only appears for x weeks each Christmas I was wondering if the fact the cache is active every year if this is what makes it long term, and thus acceptable.

The idea I have for this cache is not a once off event, but it won't appear for three months at a time... instead it would appear eight times a year for two weeks, and for more than one year (each year once it has been placed is the intention).

is this totally against the guide lines, and thus can't be created, or could I plan the cache as I am thinking?
Personally I would prefer caches like Wyndham Lights to be renewed every year, only because something in my vitals does not agree with logging more than find on the same cache.
I don't have the same feeling about GCA caches as I don't count them in my stats, so anything goes.
Casualty Ward is a good example of a multi logger, unfortunately, but c'est la vie!