Let's Talk Angels!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Let's Talk Angels!

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 2:50 pm

Here's a new thread for the actual 'angel race' and its ramifications!

There are now 109 Weeping Angels on the official ladder, by 46 members.

:weepingangel :weepingangel :weepingangel

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Let's Talk Angels!

Post by Yurt » 04 December 13 3:20 pm

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 04 December 13 4:12 pm

As per previous races not that many in Qld. I count 4 at the moment and I own three of them. But I do it for the enjoyment hoping others will get involved.

pjmpjm

Re: Let's Talk Angels! -- Front Runner Angel

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 6:27 pm

Now 110 Weeping Angels on the Ladder from 47 players . . . looks like this is going to be the approximate size of 'the field' this year.

shazonaquest's 'Eastern Angel' is going to be very hard to beat!

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 December 13 8:09 pm

I've got some that I might be able to place tomorrow (though the very local finders to me have already found them) so I would prefer to get a bit further south or southeast for a couple of the other players if I get a chance. Alternatively though I am off to Coffs Harbour on the north coast on Friday for a few days. Nobody appears to be playing up there (as there aren't any) but I am happy to take some up there to hide but only if anybody is planning on a Sydney-Brisbane style drive in the next week or so.

pjmpjm

Re: Let's Talk Angels! -- Coffs Harbour

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 8:15 pm

Richary wrote:I've got some that I might be able to place tomorrow (though the very local finders to me have already found them) so I would prefer to get a bit further south or southeast for a couple of the other players if I get a chance. Alternatively though I am off to Coffs Harbour on the north coast on Friday for a few days. Nobody appears to be playing up there (as there aren't any) but I am happy to take some up there to hide but only if anybody is planning on a Sydney-Brisbane style drive in the next week or so.
Agree that it might be best to avoid leaving angels at Coffs Harbour unless it's certain that somebody is going to travel up there . . . :weepingangel

iluvtrekking

Post by iluvtrekking » 05 December 13 1:15 am

:weepingangel
I may have missed something here but, please could someone explain the point of this year's game.

Is there a goal? If so what is it? Is there a prize? If so, what for? Or, is it just a case of find 'em and keep 'em moving?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 December 13 7:39 am

iluvtrekking wrote::weepingangel
I may have missed something here but, please could someone explain the point of this year's game.

Is there a goal? If so what is it? Is there a prize? If so, what for? Or, is it just a case of find 'em and keep 'em moving?
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 95#p208495

There's some links there to the game and it's objectives.

It's never too late to start!!!

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 05 December 13 8:00 am

Do join us, iluvtrekking! You can enter a movable cache if you like, but you can play anyway, with or without one. You go out and find a Weeping Angel cache, pick it up and move it to another suitable hiding spot, logging both moves, usually. Then you find another one. Easy!

You win if your cache moves the furthest before Jan 31, or has the most moves, etc. There are lots of categories, so look at Craigrat's link.

Sometimes Caught@work gives out prizes in the form of pathtags, but prizes are not big and usually are worked out as we go along. The game is not for the prizes, but mostly for the fun!

The overall goal is to have fun! Or, if you want to get technical, there's a graph on cachinggames.com that shows how far we have (collectively) moved Angels towards the moon.

It's fun! Try it! Go out and find one near you, and see how you like it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 05 December 13 8:55 am

It's also a good way to seek out possible hiding spots for future (non-moving) caches. Mind you we tend to use 'depots' around here as if you have several angels and not much time it's easier to just drop them in one of about five spots the locals all know. That way you already have the coords and don't have to spend time averaging good coords.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 05 December 13 6:11 pm

iluvtrekking wrote::weepingangel

Is there a point? Of course not; that's the whole point!! I've just returned from a work trip and I can tell you that there's no greater satisfaction than replying to the usual "..got anything planned tonight.." with "yep, angel hunting" (actually frog hunting was pretty good!). After the expected misinterpretation you explain that you are going to walk across Perth to collect a small toy angel from under a witches hat on the Perth foreshore. The looks of utter bemusement couldn't be purchased with diamonds!
Find them, move them, find them again and all the while don't blink. Smile, but don't blink!

iluvtrekking

Post by iluvtrekking » 05 December 13 8:18 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. I do have 3 Angels out there already but not many people playing the game here in Western Australia so we will be hard pressed to get three different people moving the caches in order to keep things going. I thought if there was something specific thing to aim for, other than distance of course, it could encourage the three of us to keep them moving and maybe encourage others to join in.
Cheers

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 05 December 13 9:34 pm

The Bingo race from last year was the first time it had a goal outside of finding and moving them. Gnomes and Frogs just wandered around the country.

Much thanks to Nutwood for bringing a visiting angel to WA and leaving your own behind.

I think we will get a critical mass in WA. I feel a few people are lurking. Hopefully just delaying their angel. It was a tough theme but an interesting one.

Richary

Post by Richary » 05 December 13 11:28 pm

Yes pjmpjm, I decided not to leave any up north as nobody is playing the game there. Rex/Baktrak tried to drop me a couple tonight over the road but he saw me outside and I told him I couldn't do anything with them as I would be away for the next week.

I dropped the ones I had at Lindfield which seems to be a nice park that could do with a cache or 2, and isn't National Park so I might use that for a permanent cache hide next year.

pjmpjm

Re: Let's Talk Angels! -- Angel is Top GCA Cache

Post by pjmpjm » 06 December 13 12:45 pm

Richary wrote:Yes pjmpjm, I decided not to leave any up north as nobody is playing the game there. Rex/Baktrak tried to drop me a couple tonight over the road but he saw me outside and I told him I couldn't do anything with them as I would be away for the next week. I dropped the ones I had at Lindfield which seems to be a nice park that could do with a cache or 2, and isn't National Park so I might use that for a permanent cache hide next year.
Richary, your 'Richary's Weeping Angel' is now the top GCA cache for December, so far, with 8 finds . . .