unlisted trig stations

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
madivad

unlisted trig stations

Post by madivad » 03 December 13 11:41 pm

Today I had an errand to run some 40km from home, within the range of a query that showed me a trig point at the destination.

So I visited the said station and took my photo. Looked around and there were a few more TS and a couple of caches from a third party site. I did those as well.

I went on to do some more geocaching, mostly caches that are listed elsewhere, but as I did so, I came across a couple of trig stations (identical to the ones I'd found earlier—incidentally which I'd never seen before because I'm new to this), so I grabbed a happy snap of my GPS and the TS, only to find that when I got home, the TS was not listed here.

I'm guessing that getting the TS listed is a work in progress?

What I have noticed though is that the ones I first visited are way north of me, and there are trig stations around me, but the ones I found today in-between aren't on the site.

I'm happy to provide coords or details if anyone wants, but if it's a case of only some are listed, then so-be-it. Or what I expect to be the case, that this is an evolving list and it/they will eventually be added. Can I add them myself? I only have the stamp number on the TS which (as I've seen) won't marry up with a general/generic serial number.

comments?

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

How to List a New Trig Station

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 12:35 am

madivad wrote:Today I had an errand to run some 40km from home, within the range of a query that showed me a trig point at the destination.

So I visited the said station and took my photo. Looked around and there were a few more TS and a couple of caches from a third party site. I did those as well.

I went on to do some more geocaching, mostly caches that are listed elsewhere, but as I did so, I came across a couple of trig stations (identical to the ones I'd found earlier—incidentally which I'd never seen before because I'm new to this), so I grabbed a happy snap of my GPS and the TS, only to find that when I got home, the TS was not listed here.

I'm guessing that getting the TS listed is a work in progress?

What I have noticed though is that the ones I first visited are way north of me, and there are trig stations around me, but the ones I found today in-between aren't on the site.

I'm happy to provide coords or details if anyone wants, but if it's a case of only some are listed, then so-be-it. Or what I expect to be the case, that this is an evolving list and it/they will eventually be added. Can I add them myself? I only have the stamp number on the TS which (as I've seen) won't marry up with a general/generic serial number.

comments?
Hi madivad . . . yes, you are right in that the trigs at GCA are a work in progress. We have added a great many sites to the overall listings during the past 2-3 years, but there are still a great many more to add. And yes, you can add them yourself, by creating a new GCA hide. Have a look at the GCA cache-creation process and ask again if you need assistance. The best and easiest way is to copy the format of trigs that are already online, and just adjust the coords and the description.

rogerw3 may well chime in here with some further advice.

madivad

Re: unlisted trig stations

Post by madivad » 04 December 13 12:45 am

Thanks pjmpjm, that's good to know. All I am concerned about there is that I don't know some/half of the information such as the actual trig station serial number (other than what's stamped on it—but that doesn't usually tally up with the "master list" (my term)). I don't want to put together a half baked entry, ie official name, actual coords (gps often varies), elevation (oregon 600 is crap for elevation), last inspection date etc....

Is there somewhere I can go to find out this information?

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 04 December 13 5:13 am

If you're in NSW, you can use the Six Maps site (http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/).

In the upper left corner, there is a button labelled 'Map Contents'. Click on this & you get to select 'Map Layers' options. Click on 'survey marks' to select.

Zoom in on your area of the map (there's also a search function you can use). Trigs are labelled with TS and a number, and have a red triangle symbol (survey markers are labelled SS and have a circle symbol, permanent markers PM, with a square symbol). Labels don't show if you are zoomed out too far.

You can get the official trig number (the TS number) and the official trig name. And if you select the coordinates tool from the top toolbar, and click on the red triangle, you will get a set of coordinates. They're in the wrong format, but it's easy to convert.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 04 December 13 8:47 am

As suggested by Toriaz the SIX site is the bees knees.

Additional to the above. If a TP has been inspected it will usually have a letter designation after the number i.e. TS0000D. The "D" indicates it has been destroyed, an example of which can be seen here: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp6118. And an "F" indicates it has been found intact: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp1586.

On the SIX site there is a legend for each item on the "Map Contents" menu. As you move your mouse over each menu item a little arrow appears on the right. Click on the arrow to see the legend for this item.

Enjoy hunting TPs,
Michael.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 04 December 13 5:32 pm

I hadn't seen the SIX site before but had a look, made brief notes about general location of SSMs in Gerringong & Gerroa & away I went. Found 13 in Gerringong out of 21 but only 1 in Gerroa. Plenty more on offer but too hot. Very few had those yellow markers on posts etc & others were missing with only the hole left or simply not there. Didn't worry about PMs. There were two trigs on SIX, one in each location but nothing left at the sites. I converted the co-ordinates for the TS only using GE which is a trick RogerW3 mentioned awhile back. I'll spend sometime converting the co-ords & adding them to GSAK. You can pick & choose which ones to look for with one on Gerringong Railway Station platform & another on a path leading to the Surf Club my favourites today.

Great site so thanks Toriaz for the site & GammaPiSigma for the tips.

Just checked & neither TS shows has having been destroyed but certainly nothing left apart from some white painted rocks at Gerringong - great views at both locations.

pjmpjm

Trigs and Survey Markers and the SIX Map

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 6:22 pm

Tuena wrote:I hadn't seen the SIX site before but had a look, made brief notes about general location of SSMs in Gerringong & Gerroa & away I went. Found 13 in Gerringong out of 21 but only 1 in Gerroa. Plenty more on offer but too hot. Very few had those yellow markers on posts etc & others were missing with only the hole left or simply not there. Didn't worry about PMs. There were two trigs on SIX, one in each location but nothing left at the sites. I converted the co-ordinates for the TS only using GE which is a trick RogerW3 mentioned awhile back. I'll spend sometime converting the co-ords & adding them to GSAK. You can pick & choose which ones to look for with one on Gerringong Railway Station platform & another on a path leading to the Surf Club my favourites today.

Great site so thanks Toriaz for the site & GammaPiSigma for the tips.

Just checked & neither TS shows has having been destroyed but certainly nothing left apart from some white painted rocks at Gerringong - great views at both locations.
Likewise, Tuena, I used the SIX map and plotted the approximate coords for three annoying survey markers located quite near my house, that I'd never been able to find over the course of the past three years, and set out on foot to try for two of them today. No yellow pole marks for any of them, so I'd been searching blindly in the past, knowing only their very approximate positions. This time I had some satisfaction about one, as I easily reached the roadside bushes of GZ. However, I failed to turn up the PM hatch and quit after more than half an hour, after becoming very scratched and sweaty. The other coords led me down over an embankment, near cliffs across Sublime Point Road. I got within 30 metres of the supposed GZ and then decided that I needed better shoes and a 'back up' companion, just in case. Soon I'll try for my third nemesis marker, near an old irrigation site, only 250 metres from my house, which has foiled me on several occasions in past years. At least now I'll have some decent coords to work with.

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 04 December 13 6:59 pm

Another tip.

I've taken screen captures of the six maps, saved them as jpg files and loaded them onto my phone for later reference. If looking for SSMs in urban areas it saves having to work out the co-ords for each one.

Michael.

pjmpjm

Keeping Survey Marker Maps on iPhone

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 13 8:17 pm

GammaPiSigma wrote:Another tip. I've taken screen captures of the six maps, saved them as jpg files and loaded them onto my phone for later reference. If looking for SSMs in urban areas it saves having to work out the co-ords for each one. Michael.
Very good idea.

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 15 September 15 6:07 pm

I just discovered the Survey Marks layer on SIX maps and that's going to make SM finds much easier (I'd been walking around blindly before). This screen capture suggestion is just what I needed to make the data usable in the field.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 15 12:26 am

Is there a list for Victoria?
Visited one this week which doesn't seem to be listed on GCA.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 15 12:42 am

Tried to create a new Trig Point site but the GCA performance is so poor I gave up - will try another day.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 19 September 15 9:25 am

My fault, sorry!

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 15 4:34 pm

CraigRat wrote:My fault, sorry!
No worries, these things happen.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 December 15 9:02 pm

I was looking at six.maps today and spotted a trig over the road from work. It's marked with an R in the name, I think it was TS4180RSAINT LEONARDS.

Now there is definitely nothing on top of that building that is a traditional trig, but a distinctive round structure that looks like an aircraft control tower with some antennas on top. Does anyone know what the R is, and how to determine what the actual trig is? I notice the TV towers nearby are also listed with the R at the beginning of the name so I am guessing it has something to do with it being an existing structure. I don't know if the trig point is the top of the building or something on top of it - if I know I can create the listing (and of course find it).