246 caches found in 24 hours by a team of 3

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: 246 caches found in 24 hours by a team of 3

Post by traineediplomat » 03 January 14 9:11 am

My PB is a clean 100 on the Wagga Power Trail. Now that I've done that, I'll never do it again... okay I say "never" ...but who knows :mrgreen:

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 03 January 14 3:29 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Brother Colin wrote:So what is the record for 'Most finds in a single day' in Australia? the world? now.
Not sure if this is still up to date:
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Caching_record
That seems well out of date now. MV did 428 last October, in SA I think.

Rabbitto

Re:

Post by Rabbitto » 20 February 14 3:13 pm

Rabbitto wrote:We found 153 caches in one hour last weekend. We opened them all up and they were all empty. We are no longer welcome in K-mart.
Made myself laugh from 10 years ago.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 22 February 14 11:01 am

I've been reliably informed that people attempting these records find all the caches in a 24 hour period (EG: 9am to 9am) and log them all as if they were found on the same calendar day and that this is "accepted" as being a legit record.

I was thinking of trying to crack the ACT record which currently stands at 120, but then realised that I couldn't ethically (in my own value system) claim it unless I did it midnight to midnight and that was going to be more than I could bear so I gave away the plan.

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 01 March 14 11:34 pm

Last October I managed to find 100 caches in the ACT in one day on a four day solo caching visit. I started at 5am and finished around 7.30pm. I rode a mountain bike and found the "50 Places You Must See' series, the 'AFL' series, then I walked the 'NRL' series, and drove around the Weston area to finish off the 100.

I didn't do any cycle training for it and suffered, hence why I walked the 'NRL' series :) Surely someone has found more than 120 in one day in the ACT?

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 03 January 16 11:41 am

Holy thread revival Batman...but I didn't want to start a new thread for what is just me having a whinge. (Remember this when you reply - it's just one bloke having a whinge on the internet, not an international trade negotiation, or Syria.) This is the closest subject matter match I could find, because it's about caching for numbers, and the last post was about the ACT.

I don't cache much during the year - it's more a Christmas holidays thing, or when I travel (though I managed to avoid finding any in Japan recently :cry:). As a result I'm generally oblivious to quick changes in the hobby, or in my local caching landscape. I just log into the map once in a while and go 'wait, where did that come from?' I'm like a caching Ent - old (in hobby terms), but very slow.

I missed the power trail thing. Not worried, because I'm not interested in numbers. I'm interested in finding new places, and getting a new / unexpected insight into places I might have already been - in short, geography, whether that's historical, cultural, geological, aesthetic, whatever. The first trail I saw wound its way along a few suburban bike paths, were named after painters for no reason I can see, other than that there are a lot of them or they were somebody's pet interest. I had zero interest in walking behind people's houses looking for film canisters named after artists in a suburb that is possibly as far from the artistic centre of the universe as you can get, unless you're talking about spraying tags on people's fences (not bagging it, I live here too). But that was cool, because I could ignore it, and it wasn't anywhere special or important.

But now we've got two very important bits of the ACT completely covered by power trails. (Yes, I know they've been there for a while - I'm slow, remember?) 'That's OK,' I thought, 'perhaps this Stromlo power trail will help me to learn about astronomy (or firefighting, or forestry) and this National Arboretum trail about botany, what with these being iconic sites of Territory and national significance for each.' No, they're about AFL teams and the Royal Australian Navy. Which was odd, I thought, given that we're nowhere near Melbourne or an AFL field or the AIS or the Defence precinct or the War Memorial or Jervis Bay. And this made me sad. Those trees were my friends, as it were.

I get that this game is about numbers for some people - maybe even a lot of people, or possibly most people. It's a broad church, and it's not up to me to say what you should like. But should we try to be thematically consistent before we decide to, say, cover 15km^2 of a place set aside for a very specific purpose with 101 caches that have nothing to do with that place or purpose? Or say 'you know, this is a site of particular importance to our picture of the universe / a devastating fire that killed local people and nearly razed a national capital, so let's make it all about how much I love people kicking a ball 600km away in St Kilda'? Numbers people still get their numbers, all cachers visiting the site get a richer understanding of the area, everybody wins. It's not like there was a shortage of tree names to choose from, or botanists, or astronomers, or things floating about in space, or firefighting appliances, or pine- / forestry-related stuff...

It's not 'caching'. It's 'geocaching'. The 'geo' is important, and it isn't automatic because we happen to hide a lunch box on the surface of the planet. If we can't connect the two we're just playing Munzees.

See you next year :wink:

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 03 January 16 8:50 pm

tolmh wrote:Holy thread revival Batman...
It's not 'caching'. It's 'geocaching'. The 'geo' is important, and it isn't automatic because we happen to hide a lunch box on the surface of the planet. If we can't connect the two we're just playing Munzees.
Agreed. It seems that the smilie has become far more important than the geocache end the destination is more important than the journey.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 11 January 16 12:14 pm

I'd be happy if people just wouldn't hide caches behind people's houses or, even worse, in front of their houses, unless they are the CO and it's noted in the description.

I've finally started using the 'ignore' function for such caches. Not worth having the police called on me, or anyone. Even playground caches are better as you can pick a time for these.

As for power trails, as we day, each to their own, but when geocaching feels like a job, not a hobby, that's probably when you should give up. I've used them to boost the numbers to reach a milestone but they do feel a bit like working on a production line.

Record finds in a day still 32.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 12 January 16 9:10 am

In spirit I definitely agree. It should be more than just clicking over a number and paying no attention to the location and the journey to get there... But as others continue to say, different things drive different cachers. While there are plenty of randomly located (or worse, poorly placed) caches with irrelevant or no description/theme other than "there wasn't one already here", there are also many finders who have clearly never even bothered to read the cache description even when it is very detailed and contains some brilliant information about why this cache is here and what else there is to notice about the environment... And in the end, even with zero interest in 'geo', they are still out there, interacting with the environment in some way. That's not a bad thing. Well... provided they're not bashing a geotrail or terrorising a mothers' playgroup at the local swings.

And while I don't wet my pants at the idea of a powertrail, I will admit that doing the Woodlands 100 in a day is quite a cherished memory. Sure, the individual hides all felt a bit uneventful after a while, but there was a bigger experience that formed some great memories on the day. Running around the park while my caching colleague smugly cycled, hearing the jets take off, seeing bits of Melbourne I'd never seen, bumping into gold prospectors and thinking "Weirdos", before looking at our pot-kettle-black selves. Stuff we wouldn't have had without the powertrail.

I agree with Yurt also though about not being afraid to use the 'ignore' function. I still can't bring myself to do it (weird...), but I am increasingly choosing to be discretionary in my caching. With caches so common now, you can afford to be, and time is too precious to do too much caching choring.