Memorial site - accessing TB locations through GC API ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
iamapom

Memorial site - accessing TB locations through GC API ?

Post by iamapom » 08 September 12 3:14 pm

My mate Kev at mygeogear.com took an order today for a large number of custom travel tags from a lady in the UK who is setting up a memorial website for her geocacher son who passed away. I don't know any more details about the sad story here, but it looks like he was pretty young.
Anyway, I believe on the memorial site, she'd like to show an automatic list, and potentiality a map of current TB locations. Assuming we had access the Groundspeak API (shouldn't be any issue in these circumstances) - does anyone technical out there know if it's possible to access TB location information through the API - I presume through web services ?

iamapom

Re: Memorial site - accessing TB locations through GC API ?

Post by iamapom » 09 September 12 1:39 pm

Her son was 14 apparently. :(

danozz
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by danozz » 09 September 12 3:31 pm

Spent half an hour earlier today trying to get access to the API, couldn't get past step 1 :P Couldn't get an auth token.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 09 September 12 4:31 pm

danozz wrote:Spent half an hour earlier today trying to get access to the API, couldn't get past step 1 :P Couldn't get an auth token.
You need to contact Groundspeak for the API and Auth Token, hence the small amount of Live enabled apps

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 09 September 12 4:33 pm

iamapom wrote:My mate Kev at mygeogear.com took an order today for a large number of custom travel tags from a lady in the UK who is setting up a memorial website for her geocacher son who passed away. I don't know any more details about the sad story here, but it looks like he was pretty young.
Anyway, I believe on the memorial site, she'd like to show an automatic list, and potentiality a map of current TB locations. Assuming we had access the Groundspeak API (shouldn't be any issue in these circumstances) - does anyone technical out there know if it's possible to access TB location information through the API - I presume through web services ?
Oh and this website can plot them on a map so you should be able to
http://ffmann.de/index.php/tb-scanner

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 12 September 12 11:23 am

iamapom wrote:does anyone technical out there know if it's possible to access TB location information through the API - I presume through web services ?

The API has a function to read a track-able travel list. You would either need to read the list on a regular basis for each TB or else use the watch list feature and have a fresh read for a single TB trigger on the arrival of the watch list email for that TB.

iamapom

Post by iamapom » 15 September 12 11:22 pm

Just what I was after. Thanks.