A sim for Italy

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

A sim for Italy

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 27 August 12 10:29 pm

Geodaughter is off to Italy in 3 weeks for a year 9 school trip. 17 days soaking up the culture and checking out teenage male bums :D

She had asked (demanded) access to contact us via mobile phone. I assume I'll need to organise a sim card for an Italian carrier. Has anyone got any suggestions on what and where to buy one.

She's using a HTC prepaid with a Telstra sim at the moment.

Thanks
Waz.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: A sim for Italy

Post by Richary » 27 August 12 10:37 pm

Firstly she needs to contact Telstra and make sure the phone is unlocked and can take a foreign SIM.

I can't comment about Italy but while the Telstra SIM is in place she definitely needs to turn off data roaming just in case, though Anna's phone is a Vodafone prepaid and wouldn't connect in New Zealand so with prepaid it may not work overseas. In New Zealand I found it easy to just get hold of a prepaid local SIM at the phone shop at Auckland airport, though that was more for data usage. The lonelyplanet website might have some more hints, especially the Thorn Tree section where you can ask questions.

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 27 August 12 11:51 pm

On a recent trip to Canada I was recommended to get TravelSim. I looked into it and it seemed very good. You purchase the TravelSim card and place it in your own phone. I decided in the end not to take a phone as I was on an organised tour so I don't have any first hand knowledge of its use. It appears to be a cost effective alternative to international roaming which can be very pricey. Google the name and you'll get their website.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 28 August 12 12:37 am

Skype is the best way if she can get good speed Internet ,
Google chat can work too.
If she can only get free slow speed wifi heytell is the best to use between mobile phones

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 28 August 12 12:44 am

Oops I forgot to mention sign up with Netphone or similar and make really cheap calls anywhere around the world.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 28 August 12 11:51 am

Personally, I'd tell her she's on a school trip and will have no need for a phone!!

Back on topic, yes, the Telstra shop will need to unlock the phone, this might cost you money.
Any local SIM should work, but I'm not sure you will be able to organise that before she goes....

Team Conquest
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Team Conquest » 28 August 12 8:09 pm

Calypso62 wrote:On a recent trip to Canada I was recommended to get TravelSim. I looked into it and it seemed very good. You purchase the TravelSim card and place it in your own phone. I decided in the end not to take a phone as I was on an organised tour so I don't have any first hand knowledge of its use. It appears to be a cost effective alternative to international roaming which can be very pricey. Google the name and you'll get their website.
+1 from me, travel sim is a pretty good deal, much better than international roaming with Telstra.

iamapom

Post by iamapom » 28 August 12 8:17 pm

I have bought overseas SIM cards from eBay before a long trip - I have searched ebay.com.au and there are Italian SIMs available. Usually pre-activated and easy to buy more credit for.
I use a Samsung Duos dual SIM Android phone while overseas (<$200 to buy outright), putting my Telstra SIM in slot 1 (with a MicroSIM converter as I have an iPhone), and the "local" Sim in slot 2. I turn data off on Telstra. I use the local SIM for just data - Facebook, Email and the Android caching app.
Or she may be able to buy a Vodafone Italy pre-paid SIM when she arrives, possibly in the airport. That's cheaper, but will probably need help to activate.

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 03 September 12 7:58 pm

We are also looking at options for our coming trip to NZ and our prepaid Telstra phone is locked. they were prepared to unlock it for $29 but it has to be done here before leaving the Country :wink:

bmak

Post by bmak » 03 September 12 11:01 pm

The cheapest option if staying in one country is to get a local sim while there.

I just came back from Europe and found the best option that was hassle free to be travelsim.

Calls were cheap enough to use regularly and data wasn't too bad either but i did spend a fair bit.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 September 12 5:30 pm

If she only wants it to call you, hotel or free wifi and Viber work well and she can send photos home for free.
No sim needed at all for that. Works in iPhone, Android or Blackberry.