Leaving cash good or bad ??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Lockyer

Leaving cash good or bad ??

Post by Lockyer » 29 July 12 9:37 am

Over the last couple of weeks, I am seeing more cache's with $$ left in them, in some it is 5 or 10 cents but one out west had a few $$ in it. imho I think this shouldn't happen, as it will incourage some into looking for cache's to retrieve the $$$, ie like the people who take the cash tin's beside flower stalls, and they will possibly just take the whole cache.

I have an idea of what to do with the $$ found in a cache, donate it at the next servo down the road into whatever tin they have on there counter.

Thoughts.....cheers

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: Leaving cash good or bad ??

Post by Dik: » 29 July 12 10:40 am

Personally I see no point in leaving "legal tender" in caches.

Interesting "collectors" money is a different matter.
I did a cache in Tassie that was dedicated to foreign coins.
I have placed a cache with around $10 of copper coins 1c & 2c that gets good reviews.
I think the most money I have ever left as an individual swap was one US$ back when the exchange rate was about 60c and the typical value of swaps was $2.

But just leaving $AU seems pointless.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 July 12 6:28 pm

Like giving a loved one money for a birthday present, it does seem like the easy, no-thought option.

I guess there's a justification if there's a swap in a cache that you really, really want but aren't carrying any swag of your own...

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 29 July 12 6:32 pm

Sometimes I might leave some for FTF but usually it's in the form of a scratchie.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 29 July 12 6:51 pm

Bad Bad Bad!

Imagine if it became common and known - caches would never be safe from muggles!

If I find any money I take it, then double it and donate it to charity. Over $50 over the years.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 29 July 12 8:00 pm

Alansee wrote:Bad Bad Bad!

Imagine if it became common and known - caches would never be safe from muggles!
I agree. I always take any money I find in a cache for the same reason. Either leave a swap or leave nothing but your signature I think

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 29 July 12 8:29 pm

blossom* wrote:

I agree. I always take any money I find in a cache for the same reason. Either leave a swap or leave nothing but your signature I think
You could leave a trackable too. :)

But yeah, current legal Australian tender is a no-no. Small denomination foreign or collectable, yes, but nothing worth much more than a few cents.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 30 July 12 12:02 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Like giving a loved one money for a birthday present, it does seem like the easy, no-thought option.

I guess there's a justification if there's a swap in a cache that you really, really want but aren't carrying any swag of your own...
I have seen this a few times in my own caches, though I put this as just as frustrating as people who can't use both sides of a log. Especially when you put $15-$20 worth of swaps to return to your cache after a month and find under a dollar of mixed silver. (Reading further down some cachers will then take that money and donate it leaving my cache with nothing, is that theft?)

If you like the swag that much go and buy something to swap of equal value...

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 30 July 12 12:07 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:I guess there's a justification if there's a swap in a cache that you really, really want but aren't carrying any swag of your own...
I've done it for that reason a few times (though can only actually remember 1 and that time I wasn't expecting to find loot). Of course, it's quite rare I actually find a cache big enough to allow for swaps in the first place, and so it's even rarer that I find something that catches my eye. I really should get around to buying some future-cache-loot.

Lockyer

Post by Lockyer » 30 July 12 8:38 am

If I find any money I take it, then double it and donate it to charity. Over $50 over the years.
Well in one of these cache's there was enough to buy a large coffee from a coffee shop...! My wife and I went out one Sunday going around to local markets and craft shops and bought a heap of small figurine's and nic nac's, we leave them in the car so if we see something we would like to swap we can.
Think from now on will remove the money and leave a swap and donate the $$ to a local charity.

Cheers

The Silver Snitch
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by The Silver Snitch » 26 September 12 12:50 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Like giving a loved one money for a birthday present, it does seem like the easy, no-thought option.

Sometimes ....you might have a child with you....sometimes you didn't plan on caching.....but your child said...
"let's do a cache"
....You note your bag of swaps has for whatever reason not been put back in the car, (probably because when you cache alone, you only sign the log)..THEN child spies something they are desperate to have!!! What do you do? Child is only an elf. Desperate search of pockets finds a 20c/50c piece...a fair swap! (Can't convince child to have it instead.....because this is THE SMURF they DON'T HAVE!!) Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Next scenario.....child opens cache...10c inside. "WOW!!! So glad we walked to this one Mummy!!!!!"

............................Sometimes it is ok....as long as it isn't a habit!

AND while I don't clear out money....I have been known to totally restock a cache when not too far back to the car and my bag of swaps.

BUT when I find cigarette lighters in caches, especially in bushland...I ALWAYS TAKE THEM AND deposit in the nearest BIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-k

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 26 September 12 12:20 pm

Someone's log on one of my caches said that they had left $5. I thought that was overly generous of them and so after work I went to check the cache to see if it was true. Indeed it was, and so I collected the $5.

I then went through the rest of the cacher's logs to see where else I could collect $5 from. Mine was the only cache. It was not a fantastic cache, not sure why it deserved such generosity, but I silently thanked the cacher when they bought half of my lunch the next day.

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 29 September 12 5:30 am

Hoojar wrote:Someone's log on one of my caches said that they had left $5.
This happened to my old "Convict Bathe" cache in Newcastle. I swapped it for 100 5 cent coins Araldite'd together... Yes, I was mad.

equinox

Post by equinox » 08 October 12 1:00 am

I have left cash a few times.

I left AU$100 in one of my (and now only) caches doing maintenance, though it was Australia's oldest unfound for a few years.

Next month someone came along and grabbed it (though I think they had planned the find before I left the cash). I wish them well, good on them.

They left $50 of their own currency, which as far as I know is still there.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 08 October 12 10:36 pm

I used to see it quite often years ago, like back in the beginning when I went out caching with Dad before I started my own account... I usually took it thinking what a bonus it was, I still don't really see a problem with it but I think urban ones should not do it but instead the bush ones should.