HELP!!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
SS Chitral

HELP!!

Post by SS Chitral » 13 July 12 10:25 pm

Complete Newbie really hoping to engage my 10 year old in this, but have now been out to Muggle this!, Augustus Rest and Humble something or other and although mobile phone GPS always says I'm within1-3 metres I never can see anything! We'd really like our first find, then maybe we'll know 'how' to look.

Just a little help? Pllleease?

caughtatwork

Re: HELP!!

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 12 10:38 pm

Muggle This is very tricky and not necessarily a good cache for a beginner. You need some practice looking for "not a box under a bush".

I haven't found the other two.

All three of these are micros. Try looking up a traditional regular with a difficulty of 1 or 1.5 and have another go. Get your geocaching "eye" in and then try for micros. They can be very tricky even if you're standing right next to them.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 14 July 12 9:43 am

caughtatwork wrote:Muggle This is very tricky and not necessarily a good cache for a beginner. You need some practice looking for "not a box under a bush".
Muggle This was my early nemesis cache, it too me several visits to locate it - I agreed with caughtatwork, not a good beginner's cache to start the caching ball rolling...
caughtatwork wrote:I haven't found the other two.

All three of these are micros. Try looking up a traditional regular with a difficulty of 1 or 1.5 and have another go. Get your geocaching "eye" in and then try for micros. They can be very tricky even if you're standing right next to them.
Augustus Rest would be suitable, but its a very muggle-prone area so you need to practice stealthiness! The hide is obscured from three sides which can help, and you can take a weight-off as you surreptitiously seek your cache-quarry.
Spoiler: show
(Psst as I recall, you should be looking for a magnetic key-holder)
Humble - hmm I'm guessing you mean "Be It Ever So Humble #4 - Invergowrie" which is a multi? Starting coordinates at the mansion take you to a historic information plaque or similar, from there you gather the required data, plug it into the formulae and get GZ location. The hide is an example of excellent camouflage, GZ has some tree cover so GPSs can be problematic, so you need to switch from gadget to cacher-instinct mode and look and think about where it could be hidden. The cache "container" could be described as small, the true cache hidden inside one end (as per the description).
Spoiler: show
Tree

Street side

Hollow

It's in a stick in the hollow

:-$

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 14 July 12 10:19 am

A few to consider in the general area of Hawthorn:

Jolly Roger's Treasure http://coord.info/GC394TY
The Carbon Footprint http://coord.info/GC2WW56
The Lost Crusaders http://coord.info/GCZ962
Camberwell Sunday Market (a micro though and do not do on a Sunday!) http://coord.info/GC2VFX5
Frog Scout (was well hidden though) http://coord.info/GC3MRP6

I tried to find some GCA candidates but they're a bit thin on the ground around here... :-\
There are a couple of good sized Moveables I dropped off at Wattle Park recently though which appear to be still there. I'm not sure if moveables are suitable for beginners though?

Being urban areas, the caches tend to be small (or nano/micro), and to survive in somewhat tricky hiding places (although not always - unfortunately the few I had in mind as being easy seem not to have been found of late...). Park areas generally are easier, the larger the better, and even those skinny ones along freeways can yield some good caches.

For larger, easy game you may want to travel our to greener surroundings, or at least towards the edge of the concrete jungle. As caughtatwork says, go for larger ones - small or bigger. Don't be put off by multis - many are very quick to work out, look for ones that start at an information board or similar then go straight to GZ after one set of calculations (the fewer the better).

Last edited by quiet1_au on 14 July 12 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 July 12 10:39 am

/mod hat on
Moved to a more appropriate area
/mod hat off

SS Chitral

Post by SS Chitral » 14 July 12 11:53 am

Thanks for the help/hints guys. \:D/

And mods... where did you move this thread to? I don't want to miss out on any help. :-k

Also Tramway rest... would that suit beginners?

Can't wait to get properly started and find first cache!

Have a good weekend!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 July 12 12:09 pm

SS Chitral wrote:And mods... where did you move this thread to? I don't want to miss out on any help. :-k
General Chit-Chat

It's not really a problem related to the Geocaching Australia website per-se.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 14 July 12 12:45 pm

SS Chitral
Yes Tramway rest is a good one, you do need to be ok with the stealth requirements. Sometimes urban caching can be a matter of timing and willingness to hunt in a location that seems very exposed.
Mary MacKillop - Hawthorn East would also be good
as would the others suggested by quiet1_au

Peter

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 14 July 12 1:02 pm

SS Chitral wrote:Thanks for the help/hints guys. \:D/

And mods... where did you move this thread to? I don't want to miss out on any help. :-k

Also Tramway rest... would that suit beginners?

Can't wait to get properly started and find first cache!

Have a good weekend!

Tramway took me a little while to spot, its biggest problems are all due to the location - muggles, canopy, etc. I did it in the evening when it was darker and less muggles around. You have to time your visit carefully, and be STEALTHY- which you should anyway. :-)

I haven't tried Mary McKillop yet, only a quick drive past to scope out what might be in store for me at GZ.

SS Chitral

Post by SS Chitral » 14 July 12 8:19 pm

Thanks guys!!! Have a big day planned tomorrow. :frog