How long is too long ??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Lockyer

How long is too long ??

Post by Lockyer » 09 July 12 9:04 am

Being a newbie, I'm not sure what to do.....
While out caching on the weekend I found a geo coin and decided to help move it on. Now it was logged in the caches log book and had been moved 8 days earlier, but they haven't yet 1/ logged the find of the cache and placement of the coin on GC 2/ logged on the coin's page that they have retrieve it and then placed it into this cache.

I have logged my find and the removal of the coin on the caches pages but not the coin's page yet as they may be travelling or back packers who haven't got internet atm, so how long should I wait before logging it on the coins page ??

Cheers

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Re: How long is too long ??

Post by Team Pathfinder » 09 July 12 3:41 pm

This might sound long winded but when this happens to us and it does quite a bit as we are travelling around Oz at the moment I do the following.

1. Check out the person who left the traveller and see where and when they are logging caches. If they haven't logged on for a few days I put the traveller to one side and wait another week to see if they turn up as a week seems around the time it takes to get to internet access IMHO :)

2. If they haven't logged the traveller after a week I will go to their profile and send them a note asking that they drop the traveller off.

3. If after a few more days I don't have a reply I will grab the traveller from where-ever and make a note on its page of what I have done.

All these times are pretty flexible with us but I do like to keep on top otherwise it is too easy to stick the traveller into a draw and forget it.

Hope this helps

Sue.

EuDes
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by EuDes » 09 July 12 5:28 pm

If you have the physical coin in your hot little hands, my suggestion is:

1) grab it from wherever/whoever has it.
2) pass it through the cache you found it in with a "Write note" and "Visited" so that it gets the kms and the record that it was there.
3) drop it into a cache of your pleasing.

It is far more important that the physical and electronic entities of a traveller stay together than anything else I can think of :shock:!

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 09 July 12 9:33 pm

EuDes wrote:If you have the physical coin in your hot little hands, my suggestion is:

2) pass it through the cache you found it in with a "Write note" and "Visited" so that it gets the kms and the record that it was there.

It is far more important that the physical and electronic entities of a traveller stay together than anything else I can think of :shock:!
I agree wholeheartedly with EuDes. The end result will be the same: (a) the TB gets the same kms on it as if the previous cacher had officially dropped it off in the cache, (b) the previous cacher still has the "find" against the TB, and (c) you get to move it on more quickly. Everyone wins!

Lockyer

Post by Lockyer » 10 July 12 11:10 am

Team Pathfinder wrote:This might sound long winded but when this happens to us and it does quite a bit as we are travelling around Oz at the moment I do the following.

1. Check out the person who left the traveller and see where and when they are logging caches. If they haven't logged on for a few days I put the traveller to one side and wait another week to see if they turn up as a week seems around the time it takes to get to internet access IMHO :)

2. If they haven't logged the traveller after a week I will go to their profile and send them a note asking that they drop the traveller off.

3. If after a few more days I don't have a reply I will grab the traveller from where-ever and make a note on its page of what I have done.

All these times are pretty flexible with us but I do like to keep on top otherwise it is too easy to stick the traveller into a draw and forget it.

Hope this helps

Sue.
Thanks for the advise Sue but I don't have any details of the person/s who moved the coin other then go back to the log book at the cache. All I know is (now) 9 days ago someone left the coin in the cache that I found/retrieved it from.

Lockyer

Post by Lockyer » 10 July 12 11:19 am

pwags wrote:
EuDes wrote:If you have the physical coin in your hot little hands, my suggestion is:

I agree wholeheartedly with EuDes. The end result will be the same: (a) the TB gets the same kms on it as if the previous cacher had officially dropped it off in the cache, (b) the previous cacher still has the "find" against the TB, and (c) you get to move it on more quickly. Everyone wins!
Thanks Guy's I think this will be the easier way as I plan to move it on tomorrow, cheers

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 10 July 12 5:22 pm

I don't move, discover (etcetera) trackables (with the exception of our goedog). However, my partner, Chip often moves them along. Due to work, uni, work, life in general, work and other excuses she often won't get a chance to log her cache finds for some weeks after she has made them. She always grumbles about people's impatience when people 'take' a trackable off of her before she has actually done her logging.

I can, however, see both sides of the story. Her delayed logging often infuriates me, sometimes she can get six months behind! I actually keep a list of the caches that she hasn't logged. Luckily one of us is organised :wink: