Three states in a day

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
jeza
500 or more caches logged

Three states in a day

Post by jeza » 01 July 12 7:57 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this and perhaps others have done better, either in number of states or caches per a state. But we were driving from Melbourne to Flinders Ranges, camping in Mildura overnight and decided to swing by Broken Hill to check it. This presented me with an opportunity I'd never thought to pursue; cache in three states in one day. First of all, we started out in Mildura pretty late; my group were never all that quick at packing up their tents and the car was so heavily loaded (four people on a week long camping trip) it took a while to load it. Then we had to stop for a while at the supermarket.

So the first cache we did was Mr M remmbers Practice in Merbein, just before 11am. We then stopped on the NSW side of the Murray to admire the awesome bridge (didn't attempt the cache here on the Vic side), which took a bit of time because we had to bush bash down to the bank (The Vic side would surely have been easier!). Finally when we got to Broken Hill we decided to check out the views at the Broken Earth Complex before opting for a cheaper meal down in the town. After a final supermarket stop (we forgot a few things) and refuelling, I finally got a chance to find another cache, first act (GC1PHN4) at just after 4:30pm. This presented us with another potential problem, driving west through the outback with the sun setting. Though fortunately the road actually heads more south-west so we weren't directly facing the sun. By the time we reached Manna Hill, our cache for SA (GC36DWD) it was already dark. But that was kinda cool because the airstrip was all lit up with pretty colours. It was then a very long drive via Peterborough to our campsite near Wilpena.

So yeah, while I only did one cache in each state, we did cover about 750km of ground in the same day. :)

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Re: Three states in a day

Post by lemmykc » 01 July 12 8:24 pm

About 60 odd people have done the same thing.... in less than an hour I believe.....

State of Mind GCQ24Y by Richary.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 01 July 12 9:25 pm

Including an air leg from WA to SA and a drive leg from SA to Hay via the north west tip of Victoria my state count for 1 day is 4. (Highlight of the trip was a FTF on a Zytheryn puzzle cache in SA.)

Coming back from the recent Mega I did 3 states in 24hrs as the SA caches were after midnight.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 July 12 10:46 am

lemmykc wrote:About 60 odd people have done the same thing.... in less than an hour I believe.....

State of Mind GCQ24Y by Richary.
And at least one DNF.... :oops:

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 02 July 12 9:54 pm

While driving to the Mega Event at Easter, we cached in 4 states in one day - Qld, ACT, NSW and Vic \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

jeza

Post by jeza » 02 July 12 11:47 pm

lemmykc wrote:About 60 odd people have done the same thing.... in less than an hour I believe.....
Perhaps, though I don't think Victoria to South Australia via Broken Hill is achievable in less than an hour. :)

jeza

Post by jeza » 02 July 12 11:51 pm

andiamo wrote:While driving to the Mega Event at Easter, we cached in 4 states in one day - Qld, ACT, NSW and Vic \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Now that's a decent effort. =D>

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 03 July 12 3:54 pm

You could complete this cache in one day. It would need a lot of frequent flier points. http://coord.info/GCXNY1 5 states and one territory.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 07 July 12 12:35 am

Freddo wrote:You could complete this cache in one day. It would need a lot of frequent flier points. http://coord.info/GCXNY1 5 states and one territory.
Except at the moment, I think the clues for Melbourne are missing..... at least I couldn't find them last week

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 08 July 12 8:56 pm

FF clues in MEL have moved 50m south. Who says wooden statues can't move. Someone must have blinked. Cache page has been updated with new MEL coords.

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 08 July 12 9:30 pm

I did four states in a day in the US, but they're a lot smaller there. :)