N00b With an iPad and Some Questions

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: N00b With an iPad and Some Questions

Post by Laighside Legends » 28 June 12 11:33 pm

Amadeus wrote: So what % of caches are premium? I'm not looking at subscribing to GC yet but I'm curious how many more would be revealed. Also do the contents of premium caches tend to be dfferent in some ways compared to regular caches?
Alright before everyone else tells you how great PMs are this is my view on it...
I'm not a PM (there's a few technicalities to that but thats another topic) and I have no intention of ever becoming one. I use c:geo for android and a bit of GSAK and it all works fine with a basic membership. (I don't know what the situation with iPads is)
The only thing that's a bit of a pain is PM only caches. I don't know whats its like in Sydney but here in Adelaide about 5% of caches are PM only. But by no means does this stop you from finding them - you just have to manually enter the PM only ones into the GPS instead of downloading them directly with GPX files.
Most cachers don't usually hide PM only caches.
There are about 5 cachers in Adelaide that have majority of their hides as PM only. These few cachers seem to think that their caches are the greatest ones out there and they usually dislike puzzle caches and/or GCA. Are they any better than the regular caches? I've found some excellent PM only ones and some excellent non-PM only ones so I'm not decided either way...

This is confusing me a bit just typing it... :D Just to clarify:
caches = the hidden boxes
cachers = the people that play this game

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 29 June 12 9:34 am

Amadeus wrote:Thanks again for replies.

So what % of caches are premium? I'm not looking at subscribing to GC yet but I'm curious how many more would be revealed. Also do the contents of premium caches tend to be dfferent in some ways compared to regular caches?

We are currently geocaching our way around Oz for the second time so I can tell you that from state to state the percentage of Premium caches varies from vitually none here in NT to noticed quite a few in parts of Qld and NSW - I probably wouldn't worry about a paid membership for the number available BUT....

I would definately have a paid membership for the other features which make downloading PQ's so easy - especially as there are so many geocaches out there these days.

darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 29 June 12 8:08 pm

have you tried 'Igeoknife'?
it handles your gpx pocket queries and opens them from your email.
you can use it for navigating and logs too!
it is quite good for caching with the ipad.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 29 June 12 8:52 pm

Team Pathfinder wrote: I would definately have a paid membership for the other features which make downloading PQ's so easy - especially as there are so many geocaches out there these days.
This.

There are many reasons people hide PM-only caches and personally, I wouldn't bother myself. But the PQ thing, notifications, caches along a route are worth the membership to me.

Amadeus

Post by Amadeus » 01 July 12 11:34 am

One limitation I am discovering with the iPad is its very difficult to read it in the bright sunshine. Is there some kind of filter or screen you can get for it?

It's also a tad awkward to use as a hand-held device when you are trudging around the bush. On the plus side, the bigger screen and display is a plus.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 01 July 12 12:53 pm

Regarding seeing the screen in bright sunlight - we have 2 ipads, my original Ipad 1 has the standard screen cover oon it and my Ipad 2 has a non-glare. I have noticed a distinct difference in my ability to see the screen properly between the two and would not go with a non-glare screen again as it makes everything look slightly blurry and is harder to see in the bright sunlight even with the settings on maximum.

cheers

Sue

Amadeus

Post by Amadeus » 01 July 12 1:31 pm

Hi Sue, I have an iPad I. What is the non glare screen called and where did you get it?

Thanks.