Can 2 geocachers each log the same find together?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
RedGreenRabbit

Can 2 geocachers each log the same find together?

Post by RedGreenRabbit » 12 June 12 10:29 am

I've been geocaching for a couple of weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. I used to do a lot of Orienteering and so searching for caches brings back lots of memories of searching for those orange and white flags (except I'm now getting the feeling that the caches are harder to find even when you're standing right next to them :cry: )

Anyhow, here's my question. If you're searching for a cache with another geocacher (I've got my daughter and my brother's family hooked already), when it's found is it OK for both to log the find? If it's a cooperative search then I think that should be OK, but maybe there's an etiquette about this that says only one can claim it at that time.

Frank.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Can 2 geocachers each log the same find together?

Post by CraigRat » 12 June 12 10:34 am

Perfectly fine.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 12 June 12 10:35 am

You all claim the find. I used to find it and just move away and say "I found it" and then wait for everyone else to find it too. But I found I was the only one doing it and now it is just the first person to find it "finds it" for the party.

But keep in mind that you can cache however you like and that if you want to do it that way it is up to you.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 12 June 12 11:46 am

It's really up to you. If it feels all right to you for everyone present to log a find, then it's fine! I think a lot of people do it that way.

Wendy

RedGreenRabbit

Post by RedGreenRabbit » 12 June 12 11:52 am

Thanks for your quick replies

Frank

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 12 June 12 2:21 pm

Searching as a team is usually faster and fun. Of course both (all) finders need to sign the log.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 12 June 12 8:43 pm

I often cache with our teenage daughter, and it's usually always a team effort when we make the find. We both sign the log and both log the find on our individual GC accounts. Although, she's one of these 'found TFTC' types (much as I encourage her to write something more substantial!!) so I kinda think that my longer entry straight after hers will hopefully make up for her... lack of words, and reflect the team effort. :P :roll:

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 12 June 12 8:49 pm

Then there's the meaningless "found with 2ndDude" which means even less when 2ndDude's log is "found with FirstDude". I feel so happy for them!! =D>

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 12 June 12 9:10 pm

Yurt wrote:Then there's the meaningless "found with 2ndDude" which means even less when 2ndDude's log is "found with FirstDude". I feel so happy for them!! =D>
Where is the like button? :D

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 12 June 12 9:37 pm

Exactly. I mean really, between the two, three, four, etc of them, surely one can come up with a log that says something about their adventure. I think that was about the second thing I learned from this forum... the first was how to log on. lol You teach us newbies well..!! :D

Starruby

Post by Starruby » 13 June 12 9:16 pm

In the competitive pursuit of FTFs, the members around my area, should they run into each other near GZ and end up searching together, tend to share the FTF honours, regardless of who actually spotted the cache first. Makes sense really, since searching as a group allowed the area to be more thoroughly inspected in sections, and the fun of the find is shared by all. We tend to hang about yakking too, unless there are more FTFs to be had - then the race might be on again ...

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 13 June 12 9:54 pm

Try looking for caches during a Mega Event. 2 caches spring to mind at Albury Wodonga, one on Tin Can Hill, where about 20 of us all went for one together, The race to find the cache was brutal- not really. I was lucky enough to lay hands on it first out of that group, in the glovebox of the wrecked car.

The second was under a bridge over the HUme reserviour. A steady stream of cachers walked along the side of the road, and climbed down under the bridge, to be met by one of the overseas visiting cachers- one of the Czech guys I think it was, holding the log book for everyone to sign. He had been there some rediculous amount of time, something like 15 or 20 minutes, waiting for a break in the queue so he could replace it where he found it.

As for the OPs question, its perfectly OK to both sign the log when both are looking for the cache.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 14 June 12 1:14 pm

Yurt wrote:Then there's the meaningless "found with 2ndDude" which means even less when 2ndDude's log is "found with FirstDude". I feel so happy for them!! =D>

And then it is repeated as a cut and paste for all finds on the day/trip. No respect for the cache owners I am afraid.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 June 12 7:43 pm

Really it has to be OK, as the only alternative if you bump into another cacher during the hunt is for someone to walk away.

Also in the early days where finding a good number (20 or so in a day) often meant a bit of a drive, a couple of us often used to team up for day - to save petrol and provide company on the road.

There are also some bush caches that involve a fair bushwalk into terrain you probably shouldn't venture solo, or at least without an EPIRB or satphone.

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 14 June 12 11:54 pm

Plus, it is a game, meant for fun, and to enjoy. Who really wants to be too serious about rules. And of course, it is not about the numbers.....