GPS in China

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

GPS in China

Post by lemmykc » 11 June 12 11:20 am

OK, this post should probably go into 'International Geocaching' however I fear that that part of the forum is not viewed enough and it will be more likely to be answered in here.

So, I am going to China at the end of this year as part of a school trip. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that having a GPS in China can lead to 4 years jail. OK, maybe not that extreme... but he said that its not the greatest idea to have one in China.

However, I see that there are caches in China so somebody must have used a GPS, right?

Can anybody clarify this whole issue?

Thanks!

iamapom

Re: GPS in China

Post by iamapom » 11 June 12 12:01 pm

4 years in prison. You'll still be out in time for Uni, and you'll be able to speak fluent Mandarin ! Awesome.

http://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-for-a- ... e-in-China

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 June 12 1:02 pm

I wouldn't trust anyone from the internet. Well meaning links to sites may be inaccurate.

Your best bet is to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and ask the question specifically.

When you're in a foreign country, saying "my mate said it was OK" is a hell of lot different to appealing to the Australian Embassy in China based on advise from DFAT.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 11 June 12 5:09 pm

Zhaomin says that is a load of Bollocks... and she should know, being Chinese and living there for more than 20 years ;)

GPS units are widely available over the counter, all the phones have them. The only problem using GPS in China you will find is if you have a smart phone and rely on Google maps... well, dont. Due to the ongoing spat between Google and the Chinese Censors the maps are purposefully 200m or so out. Satellite map is fine, and of course a compass will work, just not the street map.

If you need any help with the Chinese caches let us know. Zhao & I have one locally maintained in Beijing ;)

2 things to note. A LOT of parks in China (where the caches are) have entry fees... only 50c or so usually. Also, a lot of caches are inside, just off the street... but a lot have english translations. Lots of Virtuals too!

Have fuN!