Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should I delete the offending log

Poll ended at 08 February 12 10:14 am

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 74

wileyclan
2150 or more geocaches found
2150 or more geocaches found

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by wileyclan » 01 February 12 5:08 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
wileyclan wrote:
If he finds anymore of your caches and puts a similar thing into his online log I would delete those. If he doesn't post a similar story online, I would check the logbook of the cache he claimed a find on (but I am a suspicious person :-k ) and then delete or keep as appropriate.
Looks like the cacher in question has logged other caches with "Took nothing, left nothing, did not sign log" (i was not stalking, at all)

I am also a slightly suspicious person..

I understand that he/they have logged the same thing on more than one cache page. What I am saying is to see if he/they do it in the future now that it has politely been brought to their attention that they do need to actually sign the log.

Off to stalk now to find out who the cacher is, and also because I like reading about caches in other states and dreaming of finding them one day......

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 01 February 12 5:18 pm

wileyclan wrote:I wouldn't delete the log that you sent him the email about as you have now made him aware of the requirements. If he finds anymore of your caches and puts a similar thing into his online log I would delete those.

Maybe he has learnt the rules because you did take the time to explain them to him, and wrote back to your whilst embarrased and on the defensive. Not everyone takes the time to calm down before writing emails/texts (guilty as charged your honour :oops: ) and we all know that it is hard to convey emotion via letters on a screen
Yes, this a seems a good approach to me. I'd certainly WANT to delete his log immediately. :evil: But being exceedingly controlled and letting it stand but deleting the next log he does in this manner for one of your caches seems appropriate. Especially if you email him and advise that you require the logbook to be signed and if he doesn't in future, you will remove his log. (I like "remove", it's kind of softer than delete)

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 February 12 5:27 pm

I say delete!! (It is your responsibility as a cache owner to do so.)

Maybe this person has so few finds because all of his other logs have been deleted also.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 01 February 12 6:32 pm

I also say Delete. iIwill accept not signing the log in the case of a movable when the finder actually moves it. I have found some movables where there is no log book provided. There is proof that the cache was found as it was relocated.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 01 February 12 7:07 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:I say delete!! (It is your responsibility as a cache owner to do so.)

Maybe this person has so few finds because all of his other logs have been deleted also.
That is a very good point ! Having read the email and also having the same cacher write a similar log on the same day for one of my caches, I am inclined to delete his found log from my cache.
However, he also seemed like a total pratt so I'm hoping he doesn't start vandalising caches.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 7:09 pm

Agent Basil wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:I say delete!! (It is your responsibility as a cache owner to do so.)

That is a very good point ! Having read the email and also having the same cacher write a similar log on the same day for one of my caches, I am inclined to delete his found log from my cache.
However, he also seemed like a total pratt so I'm hoping he doesn't start vandalising caches.
Yes. My worry too. Your cache is more vulnerable to a quick return to vandalise than mine.

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 01 February 12 8:21 pm

He now has 11 finds !

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 8:24 pm

I just went back and looked at all 11 finds here is one log:
Found it. Not quite where I expected it to be. Great, if scary view from where it was.
Yeah, it needs a lid and a new log book.
I nearly fell off my chair!

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 01 February 12 8:55 pm

I have had similar dramas with another newb and just deleted his log after a rude response also. See it here - http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 0&start=30

team waldron

Post by team waldron » 03 February 12 8:31 am

So there'd be no problem if it wasn't mentioned in the log?

Do you have more important things to worry about?

I had two logs in two days at the same cache saying they didn't sign it, I deleted the email and went onto something more important.

How does anyone know that anyone has ever found a cache? Is there a database of handwriting to compare the physical log to? And what about cachers whose only record in a cache is a stamp? Were they there or did soemone else bring their stamp? And what about when I'm caching with someone else and I write their name in the book? Were they there?

There's more important things to worry about.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 03 February 12 10:24 am

team waldron wrote:So there'd be no problem if it wasn't mentioned in the log?

Do you have more important things to worry about?

I had two logs in two days at the same cache saying they didn't sign it, I deleted the email and went onto something more important.

How does anyone know that anyone has ever found a cache? Is there a database of handwriting to compare the physical log to? And what about cachers whose only record in a cache is a stamp? Were they there or did soemone else bring their stamp? And what about when I'm caching with someone else and I write their name in the book? Were they there?

There's more important things to worry about.
So you're spending time reading this board and telling people that your opinion on their concerns is the only one they have to worry about? Don't you have more important things to do?

team waldron

Post by team waldron » 03 February 12 10:29 am

Perhaps I should have worded it

"Aren't there more important things to worry about?"

No offence to any posters was intended.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 03 February 12 1:23 pm

What was the indignant reply to your email? Did he think he didn't need to sign the log? Or that he could do as he liked? Or that it was none of your business?

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Re: Why Bother to Geocache?

Post by calumphing_four » 03 February 12 1:24 pm

pjmpjm wrote:Why would you refuse to sign a cache log? On philosophical or religious grounds? :?
Because it's the Spawn of Satan, and it's really really hard to write your name and date into a 5x5mm box (although I usually end up usings about 4 boxes to sign those darn logs). :)
Cheers 8)

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 03 February 12 6:06 pm

blossom* wrote:What was the indignant reply to your email? Did he think he didn't need to sign the log? Or that he could do as he liked? Or that it was none of your business?
Along the lines of "Who do you think you are to contact a complete stranger and require proof?" I explained that I am the cache owner and without me there wouldn't be any caches to find and that we are a community. He also threatened to refer me to the police.