8 x Eneloop batteries $19.99

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Re: 8 x Eneloop batteries $19.99

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 14 September 11 12:05 am

Richary wrote: Then again, while I have used rechargeables for many years, now with a pack of 30 AA alkalines at Bunnings for $10, it seems just as easy to use those in the GPS. Maybe the Eneloops could be justified in the pocket digital camera though. Not that I would need 8.
This is pretty much what i'm thinking. I use cheapo ones in the GPS and it works fine. I really could do with the shiny ones for the camera, i use it a whole lot more!

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 14 September 11 12:04 pm

Mine arrived today. less than 48 hours after I placed the order. I ordered 2 packs so I can pair the Glitter colors.

As for Alkaline batteries I now only use them on devices that only need the battery changed once a year or so like the Doorbell, TV remote, smoke detector. Disposal of them was the difficult thing for me since we don't have a recycling center nearby and I could not bring myself to add them to landfill.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 20 September 11 5:27 pm

I recveived my eneloop batteries within a couple of days, all ok.

Received my La Crosse charger to day. Noted that box had been opened & the bonus AAA batteries removed. Also as it is a USA product it has that country's electric plugs which are not compatible so will have to purchase adaptors - buyer beware. Hopefully when my shoes arrive they will come with laces & be the right size. I wont be joining the rush to supposedly save money by purchasing over the internet.

There is a lot to be said for seeing a product first hand, checking that everything is as advertised, being able to get it going straight away & being able to return it locally.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 20 September 11 6:14 pm

Tuena wrote:Received my La Crosse charger to day. Noted that box had been opened & the bonus AAA batteries removed. Also as it is a USA product it has that country's electric plugs which are not compatible so will have to purchase adaptors - buyer beware. Hopefully when my shoes arrive they will come with laces & be the right size. I wont be joining the rush to supposedly save money by purchasing over the internet.
Don't take what I am about to say the wrong way, I am not trying to be rude.

I would of not been expecting batteries if they where not listed in the listing. Seeing them listed as bonus on the package when they arrived I would of been disappointed for the few seconds it took me to realize they where not in the listing in the first place and then accepted that is the reason I got such a good deal.

Having been buying products from overseas on the internet for over 13 years I have never once expected an item from overseas to be magically fitted with our unique Australia plugs. I always assume them to be fitted with the plug from the region they area from, Same as I would never expect to purchase a DVD from a USA store and expect it to be region coded to Australia, you get the point.

I am in the process of importing a car, if I imported a USA made car from the USA should I expect it to be converted to right hand drive when it arrives ?

There are downfalls in purchasing items from overseas, but the savings to be had can be huge, and in this case you able to purchase a product you can not even buy in an Australia store (AFAIK). You can walk in Jaycar or Dicksmith and touch and feel all there batteries chargers and walk about the door playing 3 times the price for a charger not even 1/2 as good as the BC-700. You could buy 2 BC-700 chargers from overseas and still be ahead even if one never arrived.

</end_rant>
Last edited by covert on 20 September 11 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 20 September 11 7:50 pm

covert wrote:...You can walk in Jaycar ...
...and walk out with a digital radio that only works in the UK!
Thankfully they gave me a refund on that one... :-"

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 20 September 11 11:05 pm

I wasn't being rude either - just my observations.

oakydog
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by oakydog » 21 September 11 11:27 am

If you are buying electrical items from USA beware they use a different voltage to Australia. Its more involved than just changing the plug.
Best speak to an electrician as you may need an inverter 

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 21 September 11 2:12 pm

oakydog wrote:If you are buying electrical items from USA beware they use a different voltage to Australia. Its more involved than just changing the plug.
Best speak to an electrician as you may need an inverter 
Lets hope the electrician knows what they are talking about and recommend you an step down transformer and not an inverter.

Thankfully manufactures are aware of global markets and know most electronic items are powered now by a switch mode PSU and not a old style transformer. Most switch mode PSU's are designed with a very wide range of operating voltage ranging from 110 to 240 volts and wider. You will be hard pressed to find an new consumer electronic device with a 110V only PSU, and most the time that will be a human error.

There are exceptions like High end Audio equipment, Brushed motors other conductor/induction devices and the like. But if you are buying things like that you should know what to expect.

P.S. Doesn't go changing plugs if you are not qualified. Please use an adapter.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 September 11 5:08 pm

The other thing is that America uses 60Hz AC power where as we (and everyone else i think) uses 50Hz AC power so any clocks imported from America will run slow and some electric motors will also run slow... (even with a transformer)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 21 September 11 5:34 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:The other thing is that America uses 60Hz AC power where as we (and everyone else i think) uses 50Hz AC power so any clocks imported from America will run slow and some electric motors will also run slow... (even with a transformer)
Here is a very detailed map of mains voltages and frequencies around the world.
Weltkarte_der_Netzspannungen_und_Netzfrequenzen

Majority of the world do use 60Hz, but not everyone.

Clocks (and VCR's etc) running of mains frequency to keep time are very rare now. Most mains connected clocks now are powered by DC voltage power supplies and keep time with a crystal oscillator. I believe this is mostly for design reasons to keep the high voltage outside of the clock, in turn making approval a lot easier in regions that have stringent rules like double insulation (AU). Needing only to have the external power supply approved for high voltage for the region, and most times these power supplies are used across an array of products between many manufactures simply with a different label on it.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 September 11 6:28 pm

covert wrote:Majority of the world do use 60Hz, but not everyone.
How is that the majority? Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa and some of South America all use 50Hz That leaves only North and Central America with 60Hz

12V or 5V AC (or even the rectified version) which comes out of a transformer would work fine for timing so I don't think safety is the problem there. If you think about it all new TV's, DVD players, ect use the digital TV signals to keep time, for wall clocks it is more convenient to put a AA battery in them the plug them in (although I saw an interesting one once that had a GPS receiver in it to keep time!). The only other things that plug in and have a clock are bedside clock radios and sound stereo systems and with the advent of digital radio its only a matter of time before these use the radio signals to keep time. :D

Sorry to go off topic here... :D

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 21 September 11 6:47 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
covert wrote:Majority of the world do use 60Hz, but not everyone.
How is that the majority? Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa and some of South America all use 50Hz That leaves only North and Central America with 60Hz
I am being generous.
Laighside Legends wrote: 12V or 5V AC (or even the rectified version) which comes out of a transformer would work fine for timing so I don't think safety is the problem there. If you think about it all new TV's, DVD players, ect use the digital TV signals to keep time, for wall clocks it is more convenient to put a AA battery in them the plug them in (although I saw an interesting one once that had a GPS receiver in it to keep time!). The only other things that plug in and have a clock are bedside clock radios and sound stereo systems and with the advent of digital radio its only a matter of time before these use the radio signals to keep time. :D
Transformers are rare now.

Digital STB's with clocks that sync with the digital signal are a very cool idea and a accurate clock most people do not even now they have in there house.

Some mobiles phones will sync there time of the network, and PC's can sync there time over the network. There are many cool ways to get accurate time besides the old 50/60Hz method.

Check out this project by another Aussie. Customer software on a PSP acting as a clock and using the GPS for exact time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pNOfaCBJY
Laighside Legends wrote:Sorry to go off topic here... :D
There is no steam left in the old topic :) This new one has been interesting.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 September 11 7:14 pm

Nerd fight :mrgreen:

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 21 September 11 7:43 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Nerd fight :mrgreen:
jelious ! Go back to your nerd game and find some geocache's :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 September 11 11:41 pm

I have a US Sony radio - especially good for long distance FM listening due to it's selectivity. But yes it runs very hot on our 50 Hz mains as opposed to the 60 Hz it is designed for in it's transformer. I run it without the case at the moment on hot summer days when the long distance is happening.