Caching in our Schools

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should Teacher be Allowed to get Students place Caches That will only live for a few months

YES let Teachers to get Students to place Caches that will not get Maintained.
27%
NO not let Teachers to get Students to place Caches that will not get Maintained.
54%
Report in to the Reviewer.
20%

Total votes: 41

The Empire
3000 or more caches found

Re: Caching in our Schools

Post by The Empire » 25 July 11 2:17 pm

CraigRat wrote:It is possible to teach geocaching without using a public listing site.
=D> +1

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 25 July 11 7:10 pm

I agree with CraigRat. The best way to teach geocaching in a school environment is to have their own listing site.

But nobody can make them do that. And in fact there's nothing anyone can do about the current process either as long as any site rules are followed for whichewver site(s) they use

Earthbound Chief
8500 or more caches found

Post by Earthbound Chief » 25 July 11 11:56 pm

This is an interesting thread.
I think I have found all of these caches that have been placed during "outdoor activity season at the school" over the last two years, one of them, Yacht Squadron became my nemesis for nearly 6 months (although we did have a 4 month ban on attempting it again during that time)
While the majority of the hides have been fairly simplistic, all have been in interesting areas with very well researched history. In fact, their lessons could be extended to include putting all their historical learnings onto the cache page listing as well as in the cache hides (I'd like to learn how to do that). I think the majority of these caches would be the equal to most first time cache hides for many of us. My first ones are, modestly, pretty ordinary. But what the cache hide lacks, we try to make up in the interest in the area. And we are trying to get better.
I have found the teacher to be willing to communicate when I had troubles in finding yacht squadron and was able to educate him on a few things as well.
I think if we accept that our children are being encouraged to get out there, look at their surroundings and communities and see what used to be there and what is there now, that shows them that you can use technology and enjoy the outside world at the same time and if we can accept that we can all do better, that we can all learn something from one another no matter how old, then everything will be OK.
Encourage them, after all, lemmy is going to need some company in the future :D

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 26 July 11 8:29 am

Earthbound Chief wrote:Encourage them, after all, lemmy is going to need some company in the future :D
Where are you going Chief? :-" :-" :-" What about Nano? I am sure he is a good caching companion :lol: :lol: :lol:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 26 July 11 10:50 am

Earthbound Chief wrote:This is an interesting thread.
I think I have found all of these caches that have been placed during "outdoor activity season at the school" over the last two years, one of them, Yacht Squadron became my nemesis for nearly 6 months (although we did have a 4 month ban on attempting it again during that time)
While the majority of the hides have been fairly simplistic, all have been in interesting areas with very well researched history. In fact, their lessons could be extended to include putting all their historical learnings onto the cache page listing as well as in the cache hides (I'd like to learn how to do that). I think the majority of these caches would be the equal to most first time cache hides for many of us. My first ones are, modestly, pretty ordinary. But what the cache hide lacks, we try to make up in the interest in the area. And we are trying to get better.
I have found the teacher to be willing to communicate when I had troubles in finding yacht squadron and was able to educate him on a few things as well.
I think if we accept that our children are being encouraged to get out there, look at their surroundings and communities and see what used to be there and what is there now, that shows them that you can use technology and enjoy the outside world at the same time and if we can accept that we can all do better, that we can all learn something from one another no matter how old, then everything will be OK.
Well said Chief. A little tolerance goes a long way.

Earthbound Chief

Post by Earthbound Chief » 26 July 11 10:01 pm

[-( Lemmy, the Chief is going nowhere, and as for Nano, he's already trying to figure out some hides to stump us all.
Be Warned

Be Scared

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 27 July 11 1:05 pm

Rigger64 wrote:What is your oppinion of Teachers getting students to place caches then pretty much letting them become GeoRubbish.
The same as any other cacher not maintaining their caches. If I find one, I put a needs maintenance log on it or a needs archived if it had been going on for a while.
Rigger64 wrote:This is the story:

<snip>

Would this be considered "Holiday"Caching?????
As already explained to you via email on 23/7,it probably doesn't constitute a holiday cache. Unfortunately we get a number of people that hide a cache and then stop caching, that is why I look at the unavailable caches every month or so. We have to publish each cache on it's merit at the time of publication.

As you come across issues feel free to put a NA log on the cache. Reviewers get a list of them every day and go through them as they come up. I tend to give them a few days for the owner to action before jumping on them unless there is an urgent need for action.
Black Bunny wrote:I would hate to see a "draconian" approach taken to new members placing hides (you must have found X caches before placing one) as this is supposed to be a fun & family friendly activity.
I used to think differently but I have seen some great caches come through the queue that are from 0 find cachers. I recently published a cache that was the persons 10th cache hide, no finds and the logs that are coming through are really nice and supportive. I think more and more often people are finding caches and not logging them online. They just don't see the need.
Black Bunny wrote:It would be better if a local cacher became involved with the particular school and offered some guidance and support to the teacher and students who are involved.
Great idea. Community education is a great idea. As kids get more and more tech savey we will see more and more school students involved in the activity. I know of areas such as the Gong that have worked with their student cachers as they pop up to try and educate them about these issues. Adelaide have had issues as well and have tried an education approach. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The result can be the same with older cachers but it is worth a try.
gmj3191 wrote:Give me a list of the caches you have concerns with Mark, and I'll follow up with him.
Or post a Needs Maintenance log or Needs Archived Log on the cache if there is a legitimate maintenance concern. That will warn other cachers as well and the reviewers will pick it up.
Earthbound Chief wrote:While the majority of the hides have been fairly simplistic, all have been in interesting areas with very well researched history. In fact, their lessons could be extended to include putting all their historical learnings onto the cache page listing as well as in the cache hides (I'd like to learn how to do that). I think the majority of these caches would be the equal to most first time cache hides for many of us. My first ones are, modestly, pretty ordinary. But what the cache hide lacks, we try to make up in the interest in the area. And we are trying to get better.
Very well put

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 27 July 11 2:41 pm

:| :| My two cents worth. It is good for teachers to teach students in an interesting fashion. Geocaching in a closed environment like a school is one way of teaching different aspects of certain topics. A couple of things that come to mind is maths and interpretation skills. I feel like some others that this metod of teaching or leisure activity should be on a eligible participant level only. e.g teachers and students. Once a hide is listed in an open forum like gc.com or gca the whole wider community becomes aware of the hide and temptation is there to go and find it. Problem being that most school grounds environments in this day and age are closed to the general public, including geocachers, and you are only allowed on the grounds if invited. Invited in some circumstances means a person must present them selves to the school administration office in most circumstances before they roam the grounds or visit class rooms. School watch and CCTV and Police and private security firms are used by most schools now for studen, teacher and property protection. Get caught on school property without a valid reason and one may find themselves facing a charge of tresspass. Even the use of some school ovals on weekends is frowned upon ulness invited on the grounds by the administration staff. Police are vigilant to people tresspassing on school property and also be aware of protective shcool neighbours and neighbourhood watch. The increasing trend for break and enters, wilfull damage and destruction virtually put the modern day school property out of bound for the genetal public and I say again teachers please do not publish these hides on the open forums.

The above is my personal opinion and debate will not be entered into if you disagree with my opinion. :| :|

Earthbound Chief

Post by Earthbound Chief » 27 July 11 8:54 pm

I think it is important to note that of the caches and cachers in question, to my knowledge, none have been placed on, in or around school grounds. They have all been placed at local historical points of interest, that the students have researched, or an area that they are interested in.
They would breach the guidelines if they were placed in a school

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 27 July 11 9:19 pm

Earthbound Chief wrote:I think it is important to note that of the caches and cachers in question, to my knowledge, none have been placed on, in or around school grounds. They have all been placed at local historical points of interest, that the students have researched, or an area that they are interested in.
They would breach the guidelines if they were placed in a school
Yes, I think people have misunderstood this as well.

The caches are nowhere near schools and as the Chief said, they are all in historical locations around this area. That is an upside to this situation most are talking about, the cache locations (and the surrounding area) are well researched with history inside the caches, fully researched and well written.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 28 July 11 8:32 am

I for one aparently got this one wrong. If the caches are not on school property and the rules are followed and the hiders are members of GCA or GC or any other such organisation then why not list them for the wider cacher communty if the rules are followed and these hides are maintained. If they are not listed but used as a closed tool as a teaching guide then why do we want to know about them unless they impact on other listed hides.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 14 August 11 1:03 am

Well i have been in contact with the teacher in Question & he seams quite resnable about the idea of adopting some/most of the caches that the students place so if your intrested in adopting one or some of the caches here is a link to the page i have set: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... w=viewpoll.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 August 11 1:10 pm

Theres another way to do it. Using travel bugs, as Larry Cooper did for the South Butler school in Pennsylvania. We are the married couple mentioned in the article. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyn ... 24495.html

And here is the blog for the trip
http://docs.google.com/edit?id=ddwpn66d_0d6fqs5gs

And Larrys blog about the project.
http://clockdoc52.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... south.html

blackadders
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by blackadders » 21 August 11 12:43 pm

This may sound negative but its my 2 bobs worth anyway. I have no concerns if schools use geocaching as a Game within the school, however these caches should not be included and or published in the main Geo sites as a public cache. A record of the location can be kept by the teacher and or school for its use only and moderators should be aware of this and refuse to include them in the records. Unforunately I feel this should also apply to scout groups. Please dont get me wrong, there is nothing worse that searching for a cache that has been muggled because there has been no real thought put in to its camo or position. One example is a cache that was placed by a scout group placed in a 2 litre clear container under a bush where it stuck out like a sore thumb. Upon finding and noticing from metres away we were unable to better hide the stash near the given coords.

On another note that may or not be relevant in this area of the forum, I refer to the number of caches placed by genuine members. without naming any of course, there should be a limit to the number of hides allowed and I say this as not all of the hides can be checked for maintenance and or existence when there are so many and more to the point so far away from the owners residence. EG one that is presumed to have gone missing is owned by a member in another state. There have been many who have searched for this particular one with no luck.

Earthbound Chief

Post by Earthbound Chief » 21 August 11 11:18 pm

As I have intimated before, I don't think there should be any influence over who should and who should not be able to place caches.

Imagine if there was a policy that could determine who was able to FIND caches. Are you in school, are you a scout? Yes, well sorry, can't find a cache. We won't let you.

Sounds a bit silly really, doesn't it?

As a community we should be happy to educate and to share our knowledge and passion for our game / sport. If someone doesn't do it just quite right, lets give them a helping hand. In private.

Bring them all on and I welcome it. Teach our youth to get outside and go for a walk. Oh, and use and exercise those befuddled brain cells as well. The more geocachers, whatever the creed, school or scouting preference, the better.
Let us welcome them all.