New caches placed with a phone

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
malstew

New caches placed with a phone

Post by malstew » 01 July 11 12:36 am

We have a new cacher close to home, who has now placed multiple caches.
All with a GPS in the mobile phone. I have a relative that finds caches very well this way. My question relates to placing them this way?

I am asking because the co-ords are always 6 -10m out.
You know for sure it wont be at GZ
We have been finding them (but) it is starting to wear a bit thin.
Note other cachers are mentioning this in the logs.

Really dont want to hurt anyones feelings and definately understand how the written word can be misunderstood...New cacher who I welcome to our wonderful game.

Feeling pretty awkward writing this, but what would you do? :oops:

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Re: New caches placed with a phone

Post by Philipp » 01 July 11 12:44 am

Take the real coordinates and log it as a "Need Maintenance" >> that's the reason for this log-type.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 July 11 8:12 am

Hmmm, look how far we've come.

In the old days GPSR's only used to be accurate to 10 metres, so it was common to have to search a 20 metre radius (your 10 metres plus the placers 10 metres).

But then I suppose the prize was worth the hunt. Generally it was a large,well stocked container, not a 200ml Sistema or an eclipse tin with a scrap of paper inside.

If you feel you have to, take a reading and put an additional co-ordinate in with your log - GC.com has the facilities to do so.
Logging a "Needs Maintenance" is way over the top.

malstew

Post by malstew » 01 July 11 10:23 am

Thanks I think adding a co-ord to log makes sense.
Cacher has placed 20 in 3 months and I love that they are not far from home.

totalube
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 01 July 11 3:07 pm

You can also send them a message stating that a phone GPSr is not accurate enough for hiding a cache.

malstew

Post by malstew » 01 July 11 6:04 pm

That is my question is it?

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 July 11 7:56 pm

totalube wrote:You can also send them a message stating that a phone GPSr is not accurate enough for hiding a cache.
But it *May* be accurate enough!!

My experience at using an iPhone was absolute crap, but a cacher in my area placed a few with an iPhone that were within metres of where my Garmin said it should be.

I don't think anyone should expect to walk up to where their GPS says it should be and find it exactly there. 10 metres is NOT an unreasonable radius to search for a cache.

A few logs with corrected coordinates may sort them out, but a message telling them that their cache/hide/location/coordinates/GPS etc are crap will more than likely put them off Geocaching all together.

Probably a quiet chat at an event will produce far better results.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 01 July 11 9:55 pm

Both the Iphone and Android have averaging Apps. In a coverage area with no obstacles overhead they are going to be as accurate as needs be as long as the placer knows what they are doing. All GPSr's suffer near cliffs/walls/dense tree cover. Anything within 10m is perfectly fine with me... if its a nasty micro or nano though a good hint can help target the correct area if it isnt obvious or it is hay-stacked.

malstew

Post by malstew » 01 July 11 9:58 pm

Again making great sense, do not want this subject to gather momentum as our new caching member may get put off.

There are plenty of other cachers placing pretty average caches looking at back fences etc. At least this one is placing them at locations worth a visit.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 July 11 11:08 pm

As far as the phone goes, it probably relates to the type of phone and how good it's GPS is. While I haven't hidden any using it, I have found quite a lot using the iPhone 4 without any problems. Comparing it to the Garmin Vista they are generally within a few metres at GZ, just as probably a Garmin and Magellan would be.

Going back to the earlier mentions of GPS accuracy, I always took older coordinates with more of a grain of salt than newer hides. Back in the early days a lot of affordable units were single channel which meant they took ages to get a semi accurate lock. I think we still have one of those floating around the office somewhere.

Some cachers over here mention it was placed with a phone, and ask for more accurate coordinates if people find it to be a bit out.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 03 July 11 8:05 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:
totalube wrote:You can also send them a message stating that a phone GPSr is not accurate enough for hiding a cache.

My experience at using an iPhone was absolute crap, but a cacher in my area placed a few with an iPhone that were within metres of where my Garmin said it should be.

I don't think anyone should expect to walk up to where their GPS says it should be and find it exactly there. 10 metres is NOT an unreasonable radius to search for a cache.

A few logs with corrected coordinates may sort them out, but a message telling them that their cache/hide/location/coordinates/GPS etc are crap will more than likely put them off Geocaching all together.

Gotta pretty much agree with this post..

thechops
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: 101geosales

Post by thechops » 10 July 11 5:33 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:

Where do you draw the line? I completely agree that within 10m is good enough, but we looked for one yesterday that ended up being about 40m out. I logged a 'needs maintenance' log on it, thinking I was doing the right thing, as a few others had already commented, but nothing had been done. I'm now wondering if I've done the wrong thing?

totalube

Post by totalube » 10 July 11 6:58 pm

[quote="thechops"][quote="ian-and-penny"][quote="totalube"]You can also send them a message stating that a phone GPSr is not accurate enough for hiding a cache.[/quote]

Probably a quiet chat at an event will produce far better results.[/quote]

Where do you draw the line? I completely agree that within 10m is good enough, but we looked for one yesterday that ended up being about 40m out. I logged a 'needs maintenance' log on it, thinking I was doing the right thing, as a few others had already commented, but nothing had been done. I'm now wondering if I've done the wrong thing?[/quote]

Just post the coordinates you got, or if a multi or a puzzle an offset

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 13 July 11 4:08 pm

I am fairly sure that there are one or two new geocachers arount that are using a brick, a ouija board and a small plastic frog duct taped to a long stick to determine their co-ordinates.