Visiting Auckland? Try this

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
kennythe1st

Visiting Auckland? Try this

Post by kennythe1st » 07 April 11 2:15 pm

Just experienced my most scenic caching trip to date. In Auckland for a week and headed to Long Bay Regional Park on North Shore as I was told it was a lovely spot and it has more than a few caches. Chose to do some of the coastal walk so kicked off with GC2450F at the northern end of the groomed park. Then for two more caches, onto the coastal track for sweeping views of jade and teal sea in the bays below framed by pohutukawa and other gnarly coastal trees and bushes. Finished with GC1M950 half way along the coastal track and returned past a couple of lovely little beaches, one with a couple of skinny dippers frolicing as warned :) in the park leaflet.

I'll be back in a few months with A+ to do the whole walk and pick up the rest of the caches. Hills are Bendigo style, not Grampians. Easy access by car or bus from central Auckland. For a slightly tougher walk/cache of similar time, do the Okura Bush walk immediately north of Long Bay. See Te Araroa (The Long Pathway) track notes http://www.teararoa.org.nz/auckland/oku ... bay-route/ for info on the interesting option of crossing the separating inlet on foot (or swimming I guess).

4 stars =D> except at Christmas when the pohutukawas flower - then it is 5 stars \:D/ as they are NZ's blazing christmas tree.

Kenny