[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Geocaching Australia - View topic - Garmin Chirp
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 November 17 6:30 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Garmin Chirp 
Author Message
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved
User avatar

Joined: 10 November 07 11:36 pm
Posts: 450
Location: Seaford
GCA Found: 111
GCA Hidden: 18
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
lemmykc wrote:
I am the owner of 'Geometry with the Beach Birdies', and I personally think this is not fair. You see, I originally put the cache down as a Puzzle cache, but theUMP thought that it should be a multi. The first time he asked me, I kept it as a Puzzle. Then he asked me again and I agreed to change it because I wanted to get it published. I did do the right thing, however I had to change to the wrong thing. I realise that no one is having an attack, however I still think that it is unfair that I did the right thing. And on the other topic, I have no idea wether the rule has changed.


Ok so is this by the Rules & Reg's A Multi or A Puzzle/unknown?????????
As far as im conserned it should be a puzzle as it requires the use of a UV light to solve a pluzzle to even get the coords then the use of a CHIRP GPSr to find GZ.
So in my thinking it requires the use of special equipment so the rating should also be higer than it is.

Just my 2 cents worth (less Tax & GST)


22 April 11 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650
GCA Found: 149
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
Rigger64 wrote:
lemmykc wrote:
I am the owner of 'Geometry with the Beach Birdies', and I personally think this is not fair. You see, I originally put the cache down as a Puzzle cache, but theUMP thought that it should be a multi. The first time he asked me, I kept it as a Puzzle. Then he asked me again and I agreed to change it because I wanted to get it published. I did do the right thing, however I had to change to the wrong thing. I realise that no one is having an attack, however I still think that it is unfair that I did the right thing. And on the other topic, I have no idea wether the rule has changed.


Ok so is this by the Rules & Reg's A Multi or A Puzzle/unknown?????????
As far as im conserned it should be a puzzle as it requires the use of a UV light to solve a pluzzle to even get the coords then the use of a CHIRP GPSr to find GZ.
So in my thinking it requires the use of special equipment so the rating should also be higer than it is.

Just my 2 cents worth (less Tax & GST)


I think it's a "Mystery". I can't see the value in calling anything "Unknown"
It's definitely not a multi going by the guidelines.


22 April 11 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Posts: 1735
Location: Sydney, NSW
GCA Found: 1196
GCA Hidden: 73
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
Mystery / Unknown is also refered to as "Catch-all". In other words, any physical cache that does not fit the criteria of a trad or multi is thereby a "?" Cache ;) ...oh except Letterboxes which seem only to exist for historical purposes and dont follow the rules.


22 April 11 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Posts: 591
Location: Melbourne, VIC
GCA Found: 13
GCA Hidden: 1
Post Re: Garmin Chirp


23 April 11 11:59 am
Profile E-mail WWW
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650
GCA Found: 149
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
I'm not overly fussed about the rating, but I think if you need anything other than a generic GPS then it should be a "?", with the Attributes telling you it needs a UV torch or a Beacon detector of some kind, or whatever special equipment.

That way, if you're out ploughing through an area, and you see a "?" type, then you know it might not be a candidate for a "walk up and search" find.
This is consistent with the rule for Chirp multis which Groundspeak have (had?).

Absolutely need Chirp detector then type = "?"
Don't absolutely need Chirp detector then type = "M" i.e there is an alternative method for finding.


23 April 11 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved
User avatar

Joined: 10 November 07 11:36 pm
Posts: 450
Location: Seaford
GCA Found: 111
GCA Hidden: 18
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp


23 April 11 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
User avatar

Joined: 03 April 03 12:28 am
Posts: 2573
Location: Kalamunda, WA
GCA Found: 18
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
I think there's a reasonable expectation that I can find and log a Trad without any special gear, and without needing to read the description.

For a multi or a mystery, though, I expect to need read the description! Otherwise, for a multi, I won't know what I have to do at the listed coords (find a container? Count something? Read a number off a sign? Look for a wi-fi SSID?)

So, if it turns out that I need a UV torch to complete the multi, that's OK, I've read the description and know about it and won't attempt it until I get one. (Of course, I have one in my caching bag just in case. Don't you?)

I disagree that Mystery / Puzzle / Unknown type should be used for anything that's a little bit hard or unusual. Should camouflaged Trads be included? Multis with some maths involved?


23 April 11 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650
GCA Found: 149
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
Papa Bear_Left wrote:
I think there's a reasonable expectation that I can find and log a Trad without any special gear, and without needing to read the description.
Fair enough.

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
For a multi or a mystery, though, I expect to need read the description! Otherwise, for a multi, I won't know what I have to do at the listed coords (find a container? Count something? Read a number off a sign? Look for a wi-fi SSID?)
Yes, but you expect to be able to go to WP1 then read the description, and be able to complete it. This is typical of a paperless caching expedition. Before paperless caching, what you say was true.

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
So, if it turns out that I need a UV torch to complete the multi, that's OK, I've read the description and know about it and won't attempt it until I get one.
If you arrive at WP 1 of a multi and get half way through the description and find you need something special, then that's where you might find you've wasted your time. If was classified as a M/P/U then you would have been a bit more wary.

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
I disagree that Mystery / Puzzle / Unknown type should be used for anything that's a little bit hard or unusual. Should camouflaged Trads be included? Multis with some maths involved?
Agreed, but needing some non standard equipment such as UV light, IR light, Beacon detecting equipment etc is a bit more than unusual - it renders the cache pretty much impossible unless you are specially equipped.

But all this aside, the guideline currently says, as most of us understand, that if there is no alternative method to find a Chirp cache, then it should be a/an M/P/U which seems to mean "Unknown" (I'm sure there used to be Mystery or Puzzle types as well, but I'm probably wrong about that)


23 April 11 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 26 November 10 12:21 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Victoria
GCA Found: 138
GCA Hidden: 6
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
Chirp at DSE $19.98 + $5.95 delivery http://dicksmith.com.au/product/D9152/garmin-chirp


24 June 11 11:25 am
Profile E-mail
Online
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Joined: 05 October 10 10:20 pm
Posts: 997
Location: Yorke Peninsula, South Australia
GCA Found: 241
GCA Hidden: 29
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
s_mc500 wrote:
Chirp at DSE $19.98 + $5.95 delivery http://dicksmith.com.au/product/D9152/garmin-chirp

Why is it in the "Golf Navigation" section? Do they think you're meant to put them in golf balls to help find them? :shock:


24 June 11 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over
User avatar

Joined: 06 July 09 10:06 pm
Posts: 85
Location: Windsor Gardens, SA
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 1
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
I bought 5 chirps from the US when they first came out. Had plans to use them but hadn't got around to it. A few months back I got them out of the cupboard to have a squiz when I noticed one was different. Turns out one of them was a Garmin Footpod thingo which is used to communicate the GPS position to a Garmin Heartrate monitor watch thing. Was very annoyed I hadn't noticed it sooner as it was far too late to contact the company in the US and organize a replacement.

So I went online had noticed the RRP of the Footpod was $120. So I sold it on eBay for $80 which effectively means I got the four for about $30.

Now that's a bargain.

Still plan on using them, one day I suppose.


24 June 11 4:43 pm
Profile
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Posts: 1735
Location: Sydney, NSW
GCA Found: 1196
GCA Hidden: 73
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
And it seems the UK reviewers arnt quite as on the ball as the Aussie ones ;) Went to find a Traditional Listed cache the other day and the GPS was leading me into a building... odd. Clue made no sense too... then I noticed the cache was named "A little bird told me..." and checked the attributes... yep, even though there is no mention in the cache description the beacon icon is there and it clearly cant be found at the listed co-ords >:( Should be a puzzle.


27 June 11 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650
GCA Found: 149
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
Zalgariath wrote:
And it seems the UK reviewers arnt quite as on the ball as the Aussie ones ;) Went to find a Traditional Listed cache the other day and the GPS was leading me into a building... odd. Clue made no sense too... then I noticed the cache was named "A little bird told me..." and checked the attributes... yep, even though there is no mention in the cache description the beacon icon is there and it clearly cant be found at the listed co-ords >:( Should be a puzzle.

Quite a controversial cache http://coord.info/GC2JP93


27 June 11 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 July 09 12:18 am
Posts: 506
Location: Box Hill
GCA Found: 49
GCA Hidden: 4
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
gmj3191 wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:
And it seems the UK reviewers arnt quite as on the ball as the Aussie ones ;) Went to find a Traditional Listed cache the other day and the GPS was leading me into a building... odd. Clue made no sense too... then I noticed the cache was named "A little bird told me..." and checked the attributes... yep, even though there is no mention in the cache description the beacon icon is there and it clearly cant be found at the listed co-ords >:( Should be a puzzle.

Quite a controversial cache http://coord.info/GC2JP93


Do I read/assume correctly that people are trying to open the chirp, thinking it's the cache? If so, that's hilarious.....

"TFTC. Took microchip and two resistors. Left marble and snoopy paperclip. Needs new logbook."


27 June 11 2:47 pm
Profile
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Posts: 1735
Location: Sydney, NSW
GCA Found: 1196
GCA Hidden: 73
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Garmin Chirp
I think so! I dont think 90% of seekers are aware this is a Chirp Cache... unless you know what the Beacon Attribute means there is no way otherwise of realising at the listed co-ords you wont find anything. It seems one hunter did find the Chirp... but couldnt open it hahaha


28 June 11 1:43 am
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Laighside Legends and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.