Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
theUMP

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by theUMP » 19 October 10 1:45 pm

Given that they're not going to be allowed as the only logging method (i.e. you still need an actual cache with a logbook), a whole new cache type doesn't seem justified on gc.com

(Don't really see why they're not just a type of virtual here on GCA... Unless it's part of the courting of Garmin's favour! 8) )

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 19 October 10 1:48 pm

I think the attribute approach is good given that they are open to non CHIRP equipped cachers.
It also covers the case where a CHIRP might be used to provide a clue for another cache.

Here's the first GC. com CHIRP equipped cache

http://coord.info/GC2FYWA

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 19 October 10 1:56 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Here's the first GC. com CHIRP equipped cache

http://coord.info/GC2FYWA
... and they guy didn't even write which beacon he uses / that you need a certain garmin device :| Good example how you shouldn't set-up your Chirp-cache.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 19 October 10 2:03 pm

Maybe Phillip you should put one together and show us lessor's how it done :idea:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 10 2:20 pm

theUMP wrote:Given that they're not going to be allowed as the only logging method (i.e. you still need an actual cache with a logbook), a whole new cache type doesn't seem justified on gc.com

(Don't really see why they're not just a type of virtual here on GCA... Unless it's part of the courting of Garmin's favour! 8) )
They could have a logbook in a container at the end and the devices as a multi-cache waypoints along the way. They could have a codeword which comes up on your GPS that you use to confirm the find. They could be used a a part of a mystery cache. They could be used in so many different ways we chose to offer a new cache type so the community could experiment with what works and what doesn't.

I see the GC perspective of not using them as the actual cache, but I also see them being used in fantastic other ways as well. After all a multi-cache and a traditional cache are just boxes under a bush with a different method of finding them, so as the same (or similar) could be said for the beacon devices why not just make a multi-cache a traditional cache with a "muli waypoint" attribute.

I suppose at the very least, if it's tagged as a Beacon cache and you know you don't have the necessary equipment you can simply exclude all caches of that type from your GPS rather than rely on an attribute that may or may not get set and may depend on the beacon type being used.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 19 October 10 2:39 pm

caughtatwork wrote:They could have a codeword which comes up on your GPS that you use to confirm the find.
No Additional Logging Requirements in GC caches!
caughtatwork wrote:They could be used in so many different ways we chose to offer a new cache type so the community could experiment with what works and what doesn't.
Umm.. all those different ways are basically the same... "Get some information when you're near this spot", just like reading a tag, or using the SSID of a wi-fi access point, or counting the tiles on a mosaic. A nifty and high-tech way of getting info, sure, but hardly a sea change.
caughtatwork wrote:After all a multi-cache and a traditional cache are just boxes under a bush with a different method of finding them, so as the same (or similar) could be said for the beacon devices why not just make a multi-cache a traditional cache with a "muli waypoint" attribute.
Now you're just being disingenuous. You can find a Trad with nothing but the coords, which is fundamentally different to a multi or a mystery. (The line between those latter types is more blurred, but at least you know that, with a multi, there's a point to going to the listed coords and then reading the description for what to do next.)
caughtatwork wrote:I suppose at the very least, if it's tagged as a Beacon cache and you know you don't have the necessary equipment you can simply exclude all caches of that type from your GPS rather than rely on an attribute that may or may not get set and may depend on the beacon type being used.
If someone's sensible and honest enough to use the right cache type, they're probably also on the ball enough to use the attribute. Especially the ones keen enough to spend USD23 on a waypoint!

(The reviewers will probably require Chirp-using caches to add that attribute, unlike other completely optional use of them. I know I'd be annoyed to find that my lack of high-end Garmin makes the cache I've started looking for inaccessible to me!)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 10 3:45 pm

They can be considered waypoints of a multi cache which are no different to counting tiles, but if we don't experiment with new ideas and ways of playing the game we would have no innovation and everything would be a can of beans in a bucket buried in the ground.

I really don't know what sort of fun people might have with them, so we chose to allow innovation by way of a new cache type.

The cost to GCA to deploy the new cache type was about 2 minutes work and 5 minutes testing, so it's not like there's been a huge investment in making massive changes to the system to cater for something. If the community choose not to use the new cache type at GCA, then they're not forced to, they can continue to pick and choose the technology that they want to play by. Of course a beacon cache (or cache at GC with a beacon attribute) is not restricted to a Garmin Chirp. As you say it could be a wifi signal, a SPOT, a Chirp, a wireless FM signal, loads of different things. Not all of them will require new technology, but they are all related so we created a new type to explore the game.

We've had "podcaches" for about 2 years now, but no-one has listed one and it's no skin off my nose if no-one uses that particular type of cache. It's there if people would like to use it. Same deal with a Beacon cache. If you like to explore outside the box in technology terms, then there is an opportunity for you to define your cache as something different. Of course, you're welcome to hide caches with beacons as multi or mystery or anything really.

I think the possibilities are exciting for use in a myriad of ways, including personal beacons at events, attached to swaggies or your car as a swaggie, use as waypoints, providers of codewords, loads of different things. I look forward to getting my hands on one or two or finding a cache that uses them in a creative way, regardless of whether it's a GC cache as a mystery or GCA caches as a Beacon.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 19 October 10 4:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote:As you say it could be a ... wireless FM signal
http://coord.info/GCYB0Y

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 19 October 10 7:01 pm

I can't order one form the Garmin site :(

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 October 10 7:29 pm

Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:As you say it could be a ... wireless FM signal
http://coord.info/GCYB0Y
or a LAN WiFi signal http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 04c42a645d

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 19 October 10 8:15 pm

covert wrote:I can't order one form the Garmin site :(
Yep, went to buy one and I can't ... ](*,)
so, now I'll just wait for someone to reverse engineer it, say about a week, and then build one? :-"

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 19 October 10 9:40 pm

Or maybe used as a personal safety beacon "You are within x metres of injured geocacher Sheelby Rightjack", or maybe just used for mischief.

What sort of range does the Chirp have? EDIT: Aha, up to 32 feet.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 19 October 10 9:49 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:A nifty and high-tech way of getting info, sure, but hardly a sea change.
Unlike Wherigo?

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 19 October 10 10:59 pm

How about use one as a TB on a car? Once you were near it would pop up on the screen!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 October 10 7:58 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:How about use one as a TB on a car? Once you were near it would pop up on the screen!
Yes, exactly and it would fire you the password at the same time. These are very exciting devices and I really, really want a a couple.