Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 13 November 10 8:15 pm

tatty wrote:There is only one current catch with putting a chirp in your car (I have one there too), you continually find yourself every time you are near the car and as such cannot find any other chirp whilst the car is in range :roll:
Garmin needs to be pushed for a software update to allow an ignore this chirp setting or enable the ability to find another chirp whilst already receiving a signal from one.
Oooh, the sabotage possibilities... :twisted:
(Put a couple of chirps around an existing chirp waypoint, within overlap range, preferably in the likely directions that cachers will approach.)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 15 November 10 8:24 am

After the recent access to a Chirp without Garmin hardware I am still convinced the iPhone has Chirp compatible hardware in it just without the appropriate API. iPhone already does Nike+ a, a protocol built off ANT.

I dream of the day I can wirelessly send a Geocach to my Garmin Oregon via the iPhone.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 15 November 10 7:14 pm

Just had conformation that the Garmin has released the Chirp in Australia today. You should see it on JAS website within the next day or so with stock to arrive in the next week. Priced at $25 AUD + p&p

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 November 10 9:51 pm

Sydney now has it's first chirp cache. http://coord.info/GC2HPF1

Considering whether to put it on the ignore list, or hope I get a day out with someone with a chirp enabled device.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 15 November 10 10:43 pm

I did what I did for the new Where I Go... put a note on the cache page to team up with a local Garmin owner :D

Fuddley
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 16 November 10 6:39 am

Octapc in WA will also have Chirps on their web site today or tomorrow, with stock arriving by early next week.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 16 November 10 7:43 am

Anaconda should not be far behind.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 November 10 8:07 am

And don't forget the geocacher "alex" at Cartographics in Adelaide.

tatty

Post by tatty » 16 November 10 8:14 am

covert wrote:Anaconda should not be far behind.
I wouldn't count on it, a month ago they were still waiting for Garmin Topo 2010 stock and that is how many months old already. They had ordered 6 SD and 6 DVD but head office had not supplied any and there was no ETA, just a keep checking back in to see if we have it yet.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 16 November 10 11:13 am

Fuddley wrote:Just had conformation that the Garmin has released the Chirp in Australia today. You should see it on JAS website within the next day or so with stock to arrive in the next week. Priced at $25 AUD + p&p
About time, I rang JAGPS at the beginning of the month and had a stand up argument with the guy as to whether there was even such a thing.

Pricing is still a bit steep. My (and others that I purchased for) Chirps arrived here today landed for $24.50 at the old US exchange rate around 96c. I would have thought JAGPS would be able to do them at the Garmin retail of $22 considering the exchange rate.

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 16 November 10 11:17 am

Pricing is still a bit steep. My (and others that I purchased for) Chirps arrived here today landed for $24.50 at the old US exchange rate around 96c. I would have thought JAGPS would be able to do them at the Garmin retail of $22 considering the exchange rate.
Yep, generally that is Australian businesses for you. More and more are learning that the savy buyer is looking elsewhere these days. I like to support Australian businesses where possible but sometimes the savings in $ overrides such loyalties to local businesses.

Cheers!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 November 10 11:56 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:Pricing is still a bit steep. My (and others that I purchased for) Chirps arrived here today landed for $24.50 at the old US exchange rate around 96c. I would have thought JAGPS would be able to do them at the Garmin retail of $22 considering the exchange rate.
That's assuming that they don't operate from a fixed price wholesale agreement, which I assume they do. Might take quite a while for the exchange rate to filter thru to their price lists! (My company is selling us parts from our own factories in the US at an exchange rate of $.87 still!)

Has anyone pulled one apart yet?
Could you get the components out of it and shove them in a fake rock anything like that? (or a Gnome??)

The Empire
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Empire » 16 November 10 12:30 pm

CraigRat wrote:(or a Gnome??)
The possibilities for a moveable cache are awesome. Although there could be an issue if the moveable is placed near the chirp of another...

Fuddley

Post by Fuddley » 16 November 10 1:31 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Fuddley wrote:Just had conformation that the Garmin has released the Chirp in Australia today. You should see it on JAS website within the next day or so with stock to arrive in the next week. Priced at $25 AUD + p&p
About time, I rang JAGPS at the beginning of the month and had a stand up argument with the guy as to whether there was even such a thing.

I thought I saw them on Garmins site listed at $25 AUD i.e Garmins RRP in Australia is $25.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 16 November 10 3:00 pm

Fuddley wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:

I thought I saw them on Garmins site listed at $25 AUD i.e Garmins RRP in Australia is $25.
I was refering to Garmin US @ $22 with a dollar for dollar exchange rate (well almost) you think they would be at parity.

As CR points out that is not allways the case.