Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by CraigRat » 28 June 11 8:35 am

Chirp/Beacon caches should be their own cache type.... I NEVER look at attributes and most of the Caching apps I use dont handle attributes anyway.

PLEASE for the love of all that's good put it in the actual description in bold!!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 July 11 6:18 am

:oops: Turns out the CO of this "Little Birdie" that has caused all the fuss is just a lot cleverer then the average cacher ;) You can read my logs to get the full story... evil bastard :twisted:

The damn thing is hidden in a multi story car park above a shopping centre. On first glance from the street the co-ords look off as they are 20m inside the building. On a hunch (or if you used google maps) I found the carpark and zero'd the co-ords... and found the chirp :P (which the CO assured me I didnt HAVE to use if I was clever). At that challenge well, lets just say the sat reception at GZ is not exactly as good as it is at the chirp location \:D/

Top, but evil cache.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 10 July 11 10:35 pm

Did my first chirp cache today. Ho hum, is all I can say. Nothing against the particular cache, but I can't really see the benefit of it over a standard multi.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 July 11 10:44 am

norkmeister wrote:Did my first chirp cache today. Ho hum, is all I can say. Nothing against the particular cache, but I can't really see the benefit of it over a standard multi.
Yep, compared to WIG which is a totally different experience, I haven't really seen a creative use of a chirp yet... especially considering the the cost and the limited audience.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 11 July 11 10:33 pm

Well with the price of them coming down Dick Smiths has them for about $19 i might give a couple a try.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 18 July 17 8:58 pm

I've searched the forum and read 5 pages of this thread - I'm going to sane myself time and just ask...

Are there any apps or cheap devices yet that can search a chirp enabled beacon cache WITHOUT a Garmin GPSr?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 July 17 9:42 am

Some smart phone are ANT+ capable. What sort of phone do you have?

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/
Look for the search box and enter your phoene brand / model.

If it doesn't show your phone, then you do not have ANT+ enabled hardware and you will need to buy an enternal antenna.

If you have an iPhone you will need one of these https://www.thisisant.com/directory/wah ... for-iphone and an adaptor if you have a lightning plug.

andrewbt
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by andrewbt » 22 July 17 12:17 pm

Chirps use ANT+ eh?

I might have to take my bike computer to a chirp cache and get it to tell me what it sees =P

(Better yet, could take a laptop with my ANT+ USB dongle, with appropriate software.. hmmmmm)

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 22 July 17 11:02 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Some smart phone are ANT+ capable. What sort of phone do you have?

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/
Look for the search box and enter your phoene brand / model.

If it doesn't show your phone, then you do not have ANT+ enabled hardware and you will need to buy an enternal antenna.

If you have an iPhone you will need one of these https://www.thisisant.com/directory/wah ... for-iphone and an adaptor if you have a lightning plug.
Android. I won't need it till a month away and hope to get a new phone by then - must consult this list again to choose which phone methinks. Any one have any suggestions on which app would be most suitable?
Last edited by Now_To_Morrow on 23 July 17 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 17 11:55 am

Never done one, so I have no idea. I assume there are a bunch of free ones, so load a few up give them a try. All they will do is display the text from the beacon. There's nothing special about it I wouldn't have thought.