Most cache dense areas in Ausrtalia?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Most cache dense areas in Ausrtalia?

Post by Laighside Legends » 06 October 10 6:35 pm

Question:
What are the most cache dense rural areas in Australia :?: (And the most dense urban areas as well)

I am from Yorke Peninsula and now that I have been caching for a while I am starting to think YP might be pretty high on the list.
When I first started I just thourgh there were this may caches everywhere. But now I can't find anywhere else that has as many as YP (Adelaide Hills as a lot but is this a rural area???).

Does anyone know the answer?
:D

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: Most cache dense areas in Ausrtalia?

Post by Echo » 07 October 10 3:40 pm

We sometimes think that micros in rural areas are pretty dense...

Does that help? [-X

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 07 October 10 6:23 pm

If i can get the data, I will try to update the density maps for the whole of Australia in the next few weeks. I think i only ever did victoria in the last batch, but will try to extnd that to australia.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 07 October 10 6:46 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote:If i can get the data, I will try to update the density maps for the whole of Australia in the next few weeks. I think i only ever did victoria in the last batch, but will try to extnd that to australia.
I think you'll find you've already done it! :lol:

I downloaded the file from your post here.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 October 10 6:48 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote:If i can get the data, I will try to update the density maps for the whole of Australia in the next few weeks. I think i only ever did victoria in the last batch, but will try to extnd that to australia.
Incoming !!!!!!

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 07 October 10 8:15 pm

Wow, I didn't realise my westnet files still are out there... havn't been with them for years! The data on the previous link is from 2008 so much will have changed. I'll update it to 2010 data when i get the chance.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 07 October 10 9:33 pm

Had a look at the old data - very interesting! :D (Can't wait for the updated version!)
Does anyone know where the data at (http://www.roblisa.com/geocache) comes from :?:
Not sure how you would do it but is there a way to distinguish between built-up areas and farmland?

Thanks for everyone's help! :D :D :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 10 9:56 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:Does anyone know where the data at (http://www.roblisa.com/geocache) comes from :?:
Yes, I know where it came from.

It's also VERY VERY stale data.

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 07 October 10 10:35 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
Not sure how you would do it but is there a way to distinguish between built-up areas and farmland?
There are aways ways and means for these things. I can do density maps of just about anything if i have the data and i can easily obtain data about landuse types, so its possible to distinguish between built up areas and farmland. I'll have a look into it but will prioritise getting an australia wide density map similar to the linked example.
Laighside Legends wrote:Had a look at the old data - very interesting! :D (Can't wait for the updated version!)
Does anyone know where the data at (http://www.roblisa.com/geocache) comes from :?:
I will have proper data this time thanks to C@W so should be so much more up to date than the last version.

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 19 October 10 3:34 pm

Just finished updating the Google Density Maps. They can now be found via this link
Laighside Legends wrote:I am from Yorke Peninsula and now that I have been caching for a while I am starting to think YP might be pretty high on the list.
When I first started I just thourgh there were this may caches everywhere. But now I can't find anywhere else that has as many as YP (Adelaide Hills as a lot but is this a rural area???).
As for your question re: areas near the Yorke Peninsula...
The Wallaroo area is fairly packed full of caches, with 74 in its 20x20km grid. Also, Adelaide is full of caches taking out 3 of the top 10 places for the most cache dense regions in Australia.

Hope the maps help you out there. If you were interested in having maps produced for outside of the city limits or for a specific region, let me know and I can make up some custom maps for the geocaching community. If you have some specific requests, please post them via this link