National Park Closures

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

National Park Closures

Post by Hounddog » 02 May 03 10:17 pm

I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the NPWS still not opening some parks that are obviously now safe. It's 6 moths after the bushfires passed through Marramara National Park but still it remaines closed. The park is recovering very well especially after all the recent rains.

I have phoned the local area rangers for info but so far all I get is answering machines and no reply to my messages.

Anyone else having the same frustration with the NPWS?

Urban caches are good but hey it's time to get back to some real Adventure Caching.

Hounddog.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Frustration

Post by swampgecko » 02 May 03 10:24 pm

Only frustration I got was tonight when I couldn't finish your spot lights off Hounddog.... and thanks too... you just answered a question I had :P :wink:

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 06 May 03 5:59 pm

I fixed up Kookaburra last Sunday :D

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 08 May 03 11:18 am

It was a long time coming but finaly some joy.

The ranger from MarraMarra NP returned my calls. After a long discussion, this was the outcome.

It seems that the NPWS is keeping the parks closed for a longer period because of safety/liability fears. The ranger stated that regeneration was not really a major issue.

The unofficial NPWS stand on entering the remaining closed areas is this. If you do enter a closed arear, the chances of them issuing a fine is next to zero. However the park is still officialy closed so if you come to grief the NPWS is protected from liability because you "technicaly" disobeyed the signs.

Sounds screwy but this is the sort of thing the public liabilty madness has created.

The latest 2 dogs cache, "Tower 126", is only accessible under this circumstance, with the added request that we stay only on the formed roads. Take the usual due care when walking/searching and all will be ok.

Hounddog