Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Stargiver
Venerable giver of Stars

Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

Post by Stargiver » 03 April 03 7:52 pm

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/13/02 4:42:12 pm)
| Del All Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is Darryn and I live in the Ballarat area in Victoria.
You can contact me at caching@bigpond.com
or on ICQ 77576722
I am on most nights.

Use this thread as a member section. We may move it to a more appropriate place later.

Cheers Darryn

Edited by: Pyrenees kid at: 5/13/02 5:07:42 pm

LynandGavin
(1/13/02 4:51:11 pm)
| Del Re: Where are we all from???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Lyn here (aka redsand), writing on behalf of my husband Gavin also. We are from 20km north of the Clare Valley in South Australia.

We started geocaching after returning from a New Zealand holiday in October. Wish we'd known about it before we went as we were within 4 ks a several geocaches and we must have been practically standing on one!

Our caches are listed at www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?state_id=55

We hide them in outback and semi outback locations - there are several in the Flinders Ranges for example. However, no one goes that far afield to find them.......

We also like confluencing, and our most recent exploit (in our son's car!) can be seen at
http://www.confluence.org/confluence.ph ... 38&visit=1

We look forward to reading of everyone's adventures and getting to know you all.

Lyn and Gavin

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/13/02 5:34:50 pm)
Another person with another great 4x4- Pajero.

Quote:
We also like confluencing, and our most recent exploit (in our son's car!)

embi
Administrator
(1/13/02 10:35:26 pm)
We are embi (Mark & Bec). We are originally from Ballarat, and soon to be back in Ballarat. (watch out central vic). We are currently in Moama NSW, where we own and run a restaurant business. I am dying to get back to "paid" work where someone else can have the stress of running a business. We also recently got engaged. We have a small webpage mainly about GEOrge the CACHE bear.

quasar217
Unregistered User
(1/14/02 9:14:39 pm)
| Del Where are we from...
I'm from Ringwood, outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I've had my Magellan 315 since last June, and I got it specifically for geocaching. I've planted 6 caches all up, 3 east of Melbourne, 2 in South Australia, and 1 in Canberra.

Glenn

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/15/02 2:37:50 am)
| Del Re: Where are we from...
Glenn,

Your the only other cacher I have come across that uses a Megellan.
I hide mine when I meet up with other cachers. I have no troubles and I think they are a top unit.

The others are just jealous i think.

Darryn.

tonybri
Unregistered User
(1/15/02 2:38:26 pm)
| Del The Brierley's
Hi my name is Tony and I am part of the Brierley family caching unit. When I feel adventurous I take the clan out in search of GOODS!(Daniel 13, Charlotte 8 & Kate 6). This is when the fun starts ( I want this...no I saw it first)... but we all love it. We got our Magellan Blazer12 nice and cheap from the Web auctions and has served us well to date. We are currently located in the Box Hill area and have recently sold up with the intentions to be settled in Ballarat by the end of 2002. So hurry up and get out there to give Anne and I lots of relief by planting heaps of caches around Ballarat. I reckon we should try to make Ballarat the Mecca for rural caching. The Brierley's

tonybri
(1/15/02 2:47:03 pm)
| Del Megellan
I have a Magellan Blazer12 and for $190, I am not complaining. We have only missed finding 1 attempted cache so far and that is only because we gave in due to the difficulty of the terrain(Scottish hillside I think it was called). At least we are out there doing it! Go Magellan! Boo to GARMIN )) See you on the track.
embi
Administrator
(1/15/02 4:32:19 pm)
| Del Re: Megellan
Bec and I will be back in Ballarat early March. We will be doing heaps more geocaching when we get back. Maybe we should have the first Victorian Cache Getogether. Anyone interested?

woodiebro
Unregistered User
(1/20/02 6:52:08 pm)
| Del Location
Hi all
I live in Elphinstone, I have a signwriting business full time and am a woodturner part time and now a cacher for about 3 weeks. And I have a Magellan 315

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/20/02 7:00:58 pm)
| Del Re: Location
Welcome aboard Woodiebro,

Nothing wrong with the Magellans

embi
Administrator
(1/20/02 7:11:41 pm)
"Nothing wrong with the Magellans"

Unless you ask me. I've had one experience with a magellan (darryn, you'll never live this
one down )

Hence the etrex at the top of the forums

(try the spell checker Mark )

Edited by: Pyrenees kid at: 1/20/02 8:20:56 pm

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/20/02 7:14:17 pm)
Bugger!!

It was a simple mistake and no..............

It won't be forgotten............. 'sigh'

embi
Administrator
(1/20/02 7:16:54 pm)
Hey ....I did have fun searching...even if it was for 3 hrs in the dark :)
embi
Administrator
(1/20/02 7:23:32 pm)
Hi woodiebro. I pass through your way quite often and have had plans to hide a cache very near Elphingstone. Looks like I'd better get on to it. You have found one of my caches in Ballarat (Bells). The new one I have plans for is a micro cache.

embi

quasar217
(1/22/02 5:42:00 pm)
What is it about Ballarat? All the cachers are moving there!!!

Looks like quite a few people use Magellans. I can't really comment on how good they are because I've never had a go at any other brand.

Glenn

Pyrenees kid
Operator
(1/22/02 6:31:15 pm)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: Location
Ballarat the caching capital............

GeoMonkey Prime
(1/24/02 1:20:31 pm)
Team GeoMonkeys, are from Sydney NSW.
I'm, GeoMonkey Prime, am ( is/are?) from Woy Woy, a beautiful suburb of the lower central coast( S:33'30.600 E:151'18.800), only 40 Mins from sydney, depending on who's driving!

we have been geocaching for over a year now, and you can see some of our exploits at..
clik.to/geomonkeys
We use one garmin ETrex, and a GPS 12x
and a heap of other equipment, and software, and techonogikal stuff like that. it doesnt helpo us find the caches faster, but its fun.
see you all around.
G.
Lyn Pat Nat
(4/9/02 8:49:12 pm)
Lyn Pat and Nathan. looks like we are the only ones from Perth Western Australia and out in Armadale. We have been cacheing for over a year and have placed 11 so far, found about the same number too..Things are quiet here but we still hope there will be more active users to make it more interesting. We have also placed one in Penang when we were there but its pretty lame as our son was also lame at the time with a broken arm (he fell up some stairs in the hotel...hmmmm)..our favorite one (cache) was up Bluff Knoll near Albany..check out the photos..beautiful views lynpatnat@yahoo.com

Edited by: GeoMonkey Prime at: 4/11/02 4:58:55 pm

Dooghan
(4/10/02 11:51:08 am)
Hi all

Ballarat the caching capital............NOOOOO......Lets make Nth QLD the cashing capital. I live in Rocky and apart from my own, the nearest caches are 700kms away in Brisbane. I don't get to Brisbane much so lets see some more in Nth QLD.

Dooghan
Pyrenees kid
Aka 'Wanderers'

(4/10/02 5:28:22 pm)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: Where are we all from???
Caching Capital, Nth Qld....................

You have a long way to go yet
    Last edited by Stargiver on 09 April 03 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stargiver
    Venerable giver of Stars

Post by Stargiver » 03 April 03 8:11 pm

Riblit
    (4/14/02 12:33:04 pm)
    Hi All - Tis John here. I found this board this morning after following a link from a geocaching.com forum. Which I found while searching for something completely different. As I have a gpsr I started to read a bit and thought I could give it a go. Strange how these things happen. I live within 5K of EcoTeam's "Traffic Hazard" cache (look it up) and planned to have a look for it this afternoon however the sky has opened up and it's duck weather, so it will have to wait.

ring rain... so many not founds in the pouring rain.
    GeoMonkey Prime

(4/14/02 3:50:01 pm)
    welcome aboard Riblit. you lety a litle rain stop you?, as you will see, when you read a few more forums, most of us believed,at first , that you could only geocache in the rain!
    So many hunts in the pou

Pyrenees kid
    Aka 'Wanderers'

(4/14/02 3:56:04 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Where are we all from???
    For a while there I thought the Geocaching was only to be done in the rain.

embi
    Administrator

(4/14/02 5:18:58 pm)
    youve got iot all wrong....geocaching is better at night! :)
    Riblit
    (4/14/02 5:25:45 pm)
    Suppose I could pack the blow up boat in case the creek has risen.

LynandGavin
    Redsand & KB5
    (4/14/02 6:24:41 pm)
    What's rain?

Dooghan
    (4/15/02 12:18:23 pm)
    What rain?? Ummmm.....Good question??

SNIFTER1948
    (4/26/02 11:55:08 am)
    The 2 Dogs live in Sydney but we like to travel around so we don't mind where the caches are.
    I have just returned from Darwin where I found 2 caches and placed 2 caches.

Sparkky
    (4/30/02 7:07:14 pm)
    | Del Where are we all from?
    Hi my name is Jeff and my wife Janine and I are from Eltham a suburb north east of Melbourne.
    We have been caching since December 2001 after seeing a short documentry on it on Foxtel.
    After that I went and borrowed a mates GPSr to give this new game a tryout.
    A week later I bought my own Magellan 315 and it has performed to perfection every time.

PS: Just wondering why the Pajero up above has a Toyota badge on it?
    Sorry I just had to put that in lol

Pyrenees kid
    Aka 'Wanderers'

(5/2/02 4:23:47 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Where are we all from?
    Hi Jeff and Janine. Welcome to Geocaching and of course a warm welcome to the forum.
    I had a quick look at the pic above and you are right..........
    Well picked out. I think it is a dealers sticker.

GeoMonkey Prime

(5/14/02 4:42:01 pm)
    | Del Re: Where are we all from?
    Hey Sparkky! that docco you saw on Foxtell. was that an australian one, or the one from the states?

if it was the australian one, you may have seen us, yes the GeoMonkeys being interviewed. Big bunch of dags we were that day.
    had fun doing the interview, but haven't seen the final result myself. I dont have cable, or digital tv.
    the interview we did was for a show called "Twitch", which airs on ABC digital , and foxtell, we have neither.

welcome aboard, and have fun.

Edited by: GeoMonkey Prime at: 6/18/02 5:35:53 pm

Sparkky
    (5/14/02 7:37:47 pm)
    | Del Re: Where are we all from?
    The doco that I saw was one from the states it was centered around New York.
    Thanks for the welcome

Regards Jeff

Biggles Bear
    (5/15/02 9:01:47 am)
    Hi all, Biggles Bear

Having spent quite a while lurking, and having no real intention of getting involved, we have finally been stung into action.

So now that we’re here, we’re based in inner Melbourne, and are using a Garmin GPS12, and have enjoyed visiting location we might otherwise have driven straight past.

Look forward to seeing you at a cache somewhere

embi
    Administrator

(5/15/02 9:16:38 am)
    Hi Biggles bear and welcome to the aussie forums.....enjoy your stay!
    "Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

gunn parker
    GeoCacher

(5/15/02 11:38:24 am)
    I'm Here from Perth too
    But do not have a gps at the moment hope to get one soon
    I been out looking a couple of times but without any succsess so far I hope to go and have a look for
    Bridging Henry this weekend
    Bye

maccamob
    (5/15/02 8:05:21 pm)
    Hello to all. I am David. Mary and I have been caching for almost four weeks. Time really does fly when you are having fun. We live in Hoppers Crossing, an outer suburb south-west of Melbourne. I have had a long interest in maps and electronic gadgets, and first read about geocaching in mid-2000. However, it took both our daughters to take up geocaching to prod us into action (son so far has no interest), and we went out and bought a new Magellan Meridian. Should have started long ago. Enjoyed meeting embi and wanderers in Ballarat last saturday. We are leaving for a three week drive to Townsville and back shortly, but won't have much time to cache as the details were locked in over a month ago and is taken up with visiting friends and relatives plus a reunion. We will try to get that lone cache at Rockhampton though. For most of the rest further south, we'll just have to go again some time.

Edited by: maccamob at: 5/15/02 8:14:34 pm

Slider and Smurf
    (5/25/02 5:39:29 pm)
    | Del Re: Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself)
    Hi all - Andrew and Alison, based in Adelaide. We've been caching since Christmas 2001, and have managed to hook Alison's sister (aka JoMac) and parents (aka MaccaMob, above) in the few months since. We're lucky to have a very active caching community in Adelaide and SA in general, so there are always a few new ones popping up ... finding time in between part-time uni, landscaping the new house and work is the hard part!!

Bronze247Au
    (6/4/02 1:31:05 pm)
    | Del
    Re: Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself)
    Howdy All,

I'm Bronze and I live in Lake Macquarie / Newcastle region and study Secondary Geography / Drama Teaching at the University of Newcastle. I live near Wallsend with my Wife and two boys aged four and three.

A regular to you forum is my best mate Dooghan. Thanks mate for showing me yet another awesome Ezeboard . I come from the Aussieveedubber.com forum and visit their for about an hour daily. Like you they are also wonderful people and look forward to meeting some of the local geocachers some day.

So if you see a bloke getting around suspiciously inthe bush with an Orange Volkswagen Baja (Pronounced Baha) bug (the 'Dog-O-War') then come up and say G'day and have a chat with me. If for some strange reason I don't know what Geocaching is, then arrest me cause that means some bastard who wants to be me stole the Dog-O-War.
    www.offroadvw.net/bajaboyz/NSW/bronze/Bronze.htm

The Bronze.
    "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Edited by: Bronze247Au at: 6/4/02 3:38:46 am

disy
    (6/5/02 7:33:57 am)
    | Del hello
    hi, i'm diane based in brisbane, queensland. i just bought a gps last week - a garmin etrex, and went geocaching for the first time on the weekend with 3 finds

there's not too many caches here in queensland, compared to the other states, but i will be heading over to london/uk in the next couple of months, and there appears to be plenty of caches there to keep me busy.

i plan on setting loose a travel bug in south-east queensland in the coming weeks, before taking it over to the uk with me and letting it loose over there.

a queensland get together of geocachers would be great!

swampgecko
    (6/8/02 10:49:28 am)
    Hi All

My name is Swampgecko

My caching crew also consists of my wife, Clare and my daughters Kaitlyn,10yrs and Mikaela, 6yrs. Mikaela is a keen cacher but of limited stamina, unless there is lollies involved.

We do the bulk of our caching around Sydney, but I have just completed a world wide caching blitz to the UK and back with stops in the USA. Will explain more later.

If you happen to see a white Hilux ute with "Betty" on the bullbar or a boat called "SwampGecko Patrol" give us a "coo-ee!!" and have a chat, alway keen to meet more of our fellow cache hunters.

A garmin GPS12 is the cache to satellite interface system of choice for TEAM SWAMPGECKO
    Last edited by Stargiver on 09 April 03 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargiver
    Venerable giver of Stars

Post by Stargiver » 03 April 03 8:14 pm

Horace Caching
    (6/27/02 4:04:15 pm)
    Hello,
    I am Tyson from Horace Caching, the team and i are based in South Australia, and consist of many of the South Australian Junior Orienteers. I started caching as a result of trying to break up long trips to and from the many Orienteering Maps in South Australia (and Australia). I use a Garmin GPS2+. Horace Caching have so far placed one cache down the South East of South Asutralia, and have found about 14 caches so far, this number is quickly growing. I hope to bump in to some of you out in the Caching Arena.
    Cheers
    Tyson from Horace Caching.

ps. to catch up with the antics of Horace Caching, go to kickme.to/horace .

Edited by: Horace Caching at: 6/27/02 6:36:45 pm

Pyrenees kid
    Aka 'Wanderers'

(6/27/02 6:58:50 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself)
    Hi Tyson (Horace)
    Welcome to the board. looking forward to your posts......
    Enjoy.

JoMac
    (6/27/02 7:35:11 pm)
    Hello - JoMac here... About time I introduced myself, although I have already met quite a few cachers at last weekend's Vic Picnic and of course the rest of the caching family (Slider&Smurf & Maccamob). I've been caching for three months now with my Magellan 315. Took a while to get the hang of it - but look forward to every weekend when I can add a few more finds to my tally. Now that I have a digital camera (thanks for the tip Embi) - I might be able to do a few virtual ones too! I'm down in Geelong, Victoria - and have hidden 4 caches + a webcam so far.

Team piggy
    (6/28/02 10:43:25 pm)
    | Del Caching Capital.
    I haven't done the full mathmatics on it yet.
    But I think SA (Adelaide) is possibly has possibly the most growth in the placement of new caches in the past 6 months.
    So maybe it's the new caching capital..

Let the quest begin..

quasar217
    (7/4/02 10:24:27 pm)
    | Del Re: Caching Capital.
    South Australia has had the highest number of caches per capita for a very long time...It has 2/3rds as many caches as NSW, with less than 1/4 of the population.

ravateur
    (7/9/02 9:05:42 pm)
    | Del Re: Caching Capital.
    Robert, from Yarraville in Melbourne. Not Ballarat, but at least it's west! Finally got around to geoaching recently, been out twice. I go out with my wife and 3-month old daughter, plus friends. Also spend a lot of time in the local forests in our 4WD. I use an eMap, iPaq and Oziexplorer(CE).

--
    Robert
    Last edited by Stargiver on 09 April 03 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargiver
    Venerable giver of Stars

Post by Stargiver » 03 April 03 8:20 pm

ideology
    (7/14/02 7:25:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Introduce Yourself Part 2
    My name is George and I like to dance and sing!

Bronze247Au

(7/15/02 9:00:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: Introduce Yourself Part 2
    And I'm Bronze and I grind Georges organ.
    Nah, seriously I'm in Part one and have no role to play in the sequel here .

The Bronze.
    "But what ... is it good for?" --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

H0LL0W
    (7/19/02 2:35:16 pm)
    Hey all,
    Thought i'd introduce myself.
    My names Steve, I live on the northern edge of Brisbane (Pine Rivers near Northpine dam for those that know the area), i'm 21 years old, I found out about geocaching not long ago when I was poking around the web looking for info on a hike I wanted to do up Mt.Beerwah.
    One of my cousins lives up around the Glasshouse Mountains area (Landsborough) so we are really getting into geocaching now and plan to find the caches from the Glasshouse area down to north Brisbane including the Mt.Mee area.
    We're looking around and thinking of some areas to plant some of our own caches, so hopefully we'll get some new caches planted soonish for you guys to find =]
    I'm also going to be driving upto Cape York in September/October for 6 weeks so hopefully i'll get a chance to plant a cache or two along the way. I'm hoping to find a spot near the northern most point of mainland Australia.
    Should be fun anyway =]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- There is no problem that can not be solved using high explosives. If you don't have time to do it right, will you have time to do it again?

DeltaOne84
    (7/22/02 8:12:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del :)
    i am Brendan, Steves cousin.
    yes and i live in landsborough... what he said

GeoMonkey Prime

(7/23/02 12:10:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Hi to all the new startes,
    great to see some new blood in the game.

Oh BTW, our research monkies tell up there is already a cache up on cape yourk, but its actually on Thursday Island, just off the tip of the cape.
    So have fun planting a cache on the mainland.

Geomonkey prime.

DeltaOne84
    (7/25/02 6:30:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del sorry
    thursay island is not part of cape york. Apologys fo correcting u

rastas000
    (7/29/02 11:23:13 am)
    G'day folks,

My name is Bob and I live in the sunny climes of South East Queensland, in Brisbane in fact.

I am one part of a Geocache team called Dominant_Duo and have been mucking around in one persona or the other for a while now.

I am out of caching for a little while due to a stolen EMap, but with luck the insurance company will cough up most of what I need.... To replace it.

H0LL0W
    (7/29/02 1:13:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del good luck
    hope you get a new gps soon =]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There is no problem that can not be solved using high explosives. If you don't have time to do it right, will you have time to do it again?

Redback
    (7/31/02 11:40:39 am)
    Hi my name is Darren and IÂ’m from Echuca, Victoria.
    IÂ’ve been caching a couple of times late last year with my two year old son Thomas. Hope to get into it a bit more soon, as he seems to really enjoy it.

Edited by: Redback at: 7/31/02 12:55:36 pm

northern invaders
    (9/15/02 5:59:58 pm)
    Hi, we are Northern Invaders from Adelaide...name came from the team members coming from Northern Australia but living in SA.

Edited by: northern invaders at: 11/1/02 3:12:31 pm

RusAndAng
    (9/29/02 4:51:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hello from Rockingham WA
    Hi, Im just going to cut and paste our bio from the geocaching.com site, where we are known as 'Bishop's' (fyi!)

Here tis...very long, probably will edit it soon, but hope its okay for now!

Well, we've just discovered this hobby... was a bit of a treasure hunt to find out about it actually.

I am learning about rubber stamping and as a result, came across info on 'letterboxing' and after fruitless searches for 'letterboxing in australia' I stumbled across a New Zeland orienteering site. I had given up, I thought no-one did it here, (even had thoughts that I might have to introduce Aussies to this facinating hobby!!!) but the NZ site had some interesting pics on it, so I was looking at them when I seen a link to geocaching, and thought, 'thats not a word'...clicked on the link to check it out and...well, stayed up all night learning about it (sounds much better than letterboxing...gps is a godsend!).

Just about to hit up my brother for his gps that lays dormant in his 'technology i dont use' box.

I know myself, my husband and daugter will get alot out of the hunt, and the caches, and discover WA (and futher afield) at the same time.

Glad to be in at (well, almost at) the ground floor(in western australia). Find it facinating that the sport/hobby is so wonderfully flexible and inclusive of everyones age/ideas/abilities/finances/etc, and family friendly, health friendly, (endeavors to be environmentally friendly), and is community minded too!! Geez, its got everything!.

Also glad to be involed whilst its able to operate so innocently, with the caches avalible to everyone on the www. (Perhaps one day, you will have to become a paying member to veiw the location of caches, just for the preservation of the caches themselves.)

Dissapointed we missed the meeting day in WA, maybe next year hey.

Will introduce whoever we can to the sport/hobby. Will try to find some locations for caches.

Just about to trot off on our first hunt, it's about 5 minutes away from us!...'Rockingham Rocks'!!!

We are in our mid 20's with a primary school aged blonde bombshell. We've been in WA for 2 years, and are very interested in discovering all the hidden natural treasures of WA, and now we can find (or, probably more often, leave) a cashe treasure at the same time.

would love to learn from the experts (in WA especially), if you have any tips or want to say g'day, please contact us.

dajjct
    (11/1/02 11:26:58 am)
    Hi,

Have been geoching for about 12 months with an etrex. Usually visiting the cache's with my self and upto the 5 other members of my family. We live in the outer east of Melbourne in Upwey.

David, Allison, Jemimah (10), Josiah (7), Caleb (3) and Tabitha (1)

Mind Socket
    (11/1/02 1:21:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Don't think I've filled this in yet ...

My name's Roger, aka Mind Socket in the mysterious world of geocaching (it's also the name I used when running a web design business with a friend and while trying to become a famous electronic musician a couple of years ago). :) I live in Artarmon, Sydney and have been caching for a couple months now. I'm throroughly addicted to the game.

Very keen to help make geocaching fun for all. I've seen a lot of input from some dedicated people, and I hope to offer something unique to the community myself.

- Rog

northern invaders
    (11/1/02 3:10:04 pm)
    I can't remember if I have logged on this yet. OK, we are Northern Invaders. The main team members are Ann, 48, Brian, 48, the dog, i think about 8, and me, Leigh 15. We enjoy geocaching a lot as it takes us places we wouldn't usually go...like the hidden parts of the airport, the nut house, hidden back roads in the country, and many more...Also gives you a nice tan

Jedda01
    (11/2/02 7:54:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Gday from Newcastle...
    ... thought Id make this my 1st post. I started geocaching in 2001, but had my GPS stolen back in december and have only just got a new one!(I thank m******n australia for that delay with 2 dud receivers!, hopefully 3rd time lucky). My brother inlaw introduced me to the game and I have found it very addictive, and frustratingly fun!

gatley1
    (11/18/02 10:17:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .......
    Hi everyone

My names Anthony and i live in logan city, which is about 15 mins south of brisbane and 20 mins north of the gold coast.

I'm actually studying surverying at uni, which has got me really interested in GPS and it's capabilities. I originally was going to buy a unit to map a lot of the tracks that i 4wd on around my area and for uni work, but stumbled apon geocaching.com the other day while researching gps prices.

I'm probably gonna go with the etrex venture, which i can hopefully pick up later in the week.

I'm off to northern victoria for a fortnight next week, so i hope to be able to have a play with my new toy both there and on the way down. Maybe even slot in some geocaching

embi
    Administrator

(11/19/02 8:24:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: .......
    Welcome Anthony. You will enjoy caching I'm sure. I like your comment "Maybe even slot in some geocaching". Once you start, everything else is what you slot in. Geocaching is the top priority! :)

"To find something you can enjoy is far better than finding something you can possess."

gatley1
    (11/21/02 4:15:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .......
    thanks embi

i actually picked up a gps just today. ended up going with just the base yellow etrex, didn't really want any of the other fancy stuff, just enough to do some mapping of 4wd tracks, and some geocaching.

hopefully on the weekend i can search for my first cache

Pyrenees kid
    Aka 'Wanderers'

(11/21/02 5:14:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .......
    Hi and Welcome to the board Anthony.

Mark (Embi) uses the yellow etrex himself and the unit does a great job.
    You should have many years of enjoyment from that unit.

Darryn.

samichelon
    (11/27/02 10:24:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .......
    Hi all. My name is Shane, and my family and I have been geoaching on and off for about a year (more off than on). We really like to get out and about and discover some of the wonderfull parts of our country's backyard.

We live in Rowville (outer south east Melbourne) and our team consits of:

Shane (me) (samichelon@hotmail.com)
    Leonie (my wife)
    Talia (6)
    Ben (5)

and part time members Dashing Dog Alex and Dashing Dog Cody.

We would love to team up with others in the area for an informal cahe hunt or two.

We will be attending the Vic Cachers getaway in early December and hope to see some of you there!

Hi Shane and Family....
    Welcome to the board. Its great to see new members here and its even better that we are going to be meeting you all within the next few weeks. Looking forward to reading your posts on this board. Darryn.

Edited by: Pyrenees kid at: 11/27/02 6:46:38 pm
    Last edited by Stargiver on 09 April 03 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargiver
    Venerable giver of Stars

Post by Stargiver » 03 April 03 8:22 pm

samichelon
    (12/2/02 9:32:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Magellan Vs Garmin
    I see a few posts about Magellan GPSs. It seems like not many people use them. Well due to the fact that I got into this whole can of worms (Geocaching that is), by a visit to Dick Smith Electronics, I purchased the Magellan Blazer 12, which was the only one on offer at the shop I went to.

My experience with the Magellan Blazer 12 is that it is slow, buggy (ie need to reset quite a bit), is very hard to get it to establish a position. But once it had a lock, it generally was accurate and worked quite well.

Since then I gave it away to my cousin (who has a boat), as a thankyou for helping us move house. This generous gift had an alterior motive though, it gave me an excuse to buy a new GPS! I immediately purchased the Magellan Map 330. I have found this to be a great GPS. It locks within 30seconds most of the time (and often faster), never locks up, and its maps are very detailed and generally accurate (I bought the Victorian Mapsend CD).

Sorry for the off topic post, but someone else raised the issue!

Shane

samichelon
    (12/2/02 9:35:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Personal Profile
    As I am relatively new to the board, I often click on the usernames to see the profiles of the people here. I notice that often people leave them completely blank. Obviously people have security concerns, but I would like to request that people fill in those bits of info they don't mind sharing.

Thanks,

Shane

Dagsy64
    (12/7/02 10:54:15 am)
    Hi

My name is Darren and I live in Brisbane. I have just joined this site and have recently become involved in this area. My family are also now enjoying the art of Geocaching as well. We are known on other sites as Webbys We R. Lookforward to lot's more good stuff.

BaRRaS
    (1/10/03 12:50:06 pm)
    Hey!

Hello everybody!

Oops, forgot to say that I'm in Brisvegas!

Hi Jim, Welcome to the board. Looking forward to your comments and feed back to do with our hobby, Geocaching.

Edited by: Pyrenees kid at: 1/10/03 7:25:13 pm

Dale
    (1/16/03 9:25:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hello
    G'day all,
    Dale from sunny WA.

New to this Geocaching thing and loving it...well at least I will be when i get a bloody GPS that works.

MantaRay99
    (2/2/03 10:16:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Introduce yourself Part 2
    Hi all,

Been into Geocaching since mid-2001 but just haven't got around to scrolling through the forums 'til now.

I live in bayside Brisbane and love it when new caches are placed on my side of town , for a change!

My name is Simon but I have two game tags: Manta (my main account) and Geo-Wraith. The Manta nickname derives from my favourite scuba diving companions. Geo-Wraith comes from quite often being second to new caches - feeling the presence of a GPS but never quite able to catch up to it's bearer!

My wife and two daughters enjoy the game as well.

Cheers,
    Manta.

Edited by: MantaRay99 at: 2/2/03 10:18:21 am

The Rats
    (3/31/03 11:00:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Introduce yourself Part 2
    Hi all,

I finally decided to sign up to this forum so here's my first post. We're "The Rats" or specifically Dave & Leonie + rugrats.
    We originally started geocaching as the SES RATS back in January '02, but since then we've dropped the SES just to be known as "The Rats".
    We live in suburb of Wollongong, NSW, approx' an hour or so south of Sydney. We have a love of the outdoors and what better way to do that than to go caching.
    Check out our homepage at www.geocities.com/eelfad

Happy hunting
    The Rats

Edited by: The Rats at: 3/31/03 11:25:56 am
    Last edited by Stargiver on 09 April 03 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damian007

Re: Where Are We All From??

Post by Damian007 » 04 April 03 8:12 pm

Hi All,

We're From Nanango, Queensland. Love This Geocaching Activity. Haven't Been Into It All That Long. Before We Aquired Our Meridian We Had A GPS310.

Anyone Else HAve A Meridian? And How Do You Like It?

Thanks To Everyone Involved For Making It A Great Hobby. It Sure Beats The Telly... :roll:

Damian & Val..

Two Goth Geeks
    50 or more caches found
    50 or more caches found
    Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 05 April 03 7:36 pm

My name is Jason and I'm a self-confessed Geocache-aholic. I'm also learning programming. Anything from PHP&SQL to C and Perl. I also do Webpage design. (Although the design of my main website is extremely basic. I'm usually far to busy designing other sites ;) )

I live in the Sutherland Shire.
    I drag along anywhere from 1 to 3 friends with me generally, but at times just head off by myself.

I've been Geocaching since last December when I ran out and bought a basic eTrex. I couldn't wait to get a cheaper one mailed to me. I just had to have one right there and then so I could start the treasure hunt.

Team Geo-Nads
    550 or more Caches found
    550 or more Caches found

Post by Team Geo-Nads » 09 April 03 10:13 pm

Hi my name is Len and we live in Dubbo. Not many caches out this way but we are working on it.

Team Galaxyquest

Hey All

Post by Team Galaxyquest » 29 April 03 10:09 pm

G'day
    Jono Team GalaxyQuest here. We are a team of 4 from SA who take this stuff fairly seriously. Unfortunatly we find ourselves at work almost 24/7 but i can assure you when we go cacheing its all out, or nothing. We are a fairly Hi-tech outfit with 3 garmin rino 120's, an etrex Vista, a Palm Tungsten |T (web enabled) which we use to log caches on the run and a UV torch to find caches which have been camo'd and put in hard to find places (this sucker lights up an ants nipple 100m away!)
    Its amazing that we still havent bumped into another SA cacher in our travels, but thats the way it goes!

Jono (Team GalaxyQuest)

aandm
    400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by aandm » 11 May 03 3:18 pm

Hi everyone,
    We are AandM also known as Andrew and Maryan. We live just outside Brisbane in Queensland.

Lead-lined

Post by Lead-lined » 13 May 03 1:36 am

G'day. My name is Dave. I started out geocaching around Sept 2002. I'm in the South West Sydney area. I was hooked from day one. My hit miss ratio is pretty poor at the moment, but I'm learning from every trip. I have family in Perth, so I get to log some caches over there from time to time.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 13 May 03 12:18 pm

I hope you get your passport to enter WA to find our caches ;)

Lead-lined

Post by Lead-lined » 13 May 03 8:24 pm

I hope my WA passport is still valid. I've only been living in Sydney for just over 3 years now :) I've got a few finds in Perth with some more planned when I'm over there next month.

mcmillan mob

New Member Intro

Post by mcmillan mob » 19 May 03 9:14 pm

Hi all. New member Lyndon, Marg & Pru (aka McMillan Mob) signing on for the first time at suggestion of Maccamob. Living in Glen Iris ,a suburb of Melbourne and sometimes 4WD explorer and hiker, we were introduced about a year ago by a friend but didn't have a GPS. Once on though we're hooked. Fancy having an actual aim to having a walk. With so many caches around, we check when we go visiting country friends and build time to go caching. Great pastime. Haven't planted my own yet but as we learn the strategies, it's not far off.

wyoming_wombats

Post by wyoming_wombats » 07 June 03 8:26 am

Hello all. The Wyoming Wombats are Tony (surveyor), Judy (nurse), Steven (15) and Karyn (12). I was introduced into caching at the beginning of the year and the rest of the family were dragged kicking and sceaming soon after. They now enjoy it. Wyoming (for those who don't know) is a suburb of Gosford, just north of Sydney.