ANZAC themed Megga Multi

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

ANZAC themed Megga Multi

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 09 3:52 pm

Looking for advise, comments and help on idea for a megga cache I have been hatching for some time.
I would like this cache to be a tribute to those who fought to make the world we now live in what it is today. As such, I do not want to do anything disrespectful. I would also like to do it as professionally as possible and create a real challenge for the average cacher as well as the fanatic.
I am employed as the Australian/New Zealand sales rep for a German refrigeration tooling company. My role requires me to travel regularly through all of Australia and New Zealand at my leisure and at my choosing. Its tough but someone has to do it! (geocaching was a major contributor when I decided to take the job. See thread "You know your a geocacher when..." This is not the part I need advice on and I am sure some comments would not be nice. What I would some help with is my Mega Multi ANZAC cache idea.
What I have thought of so far;
A multi that would require a visit to war memorials throughout Australia and New Zealand. I am thinking of a waypoint stage in at least every state capital and probably some other major centres such as Cairns, Alice Springs etc in Australia. In New Zealand it would be major towns and/or interesting places. The pre-requisite would be some kind of war memorial. Information gathering and in some cases a physical cache from each site and a physical cache at the end. Maybe two physical endcaches, one in Australia and one in New Zealand but to complete either would require a visit to the other country or a team in the other country.
Obviously, not every geocacher would have the means to visit every waypoint to gather the information required. Therefore, I thought I would allow two or three ways to log the find. 1. Visit every waypoint in both countries, provide photographic proof, and then log the final physical cache. This would be the one that would get all the kudos and the biggest FTY prize. 2. Log every waypoint in your own country and team up with other caches that live in the areas where the waypoints are in the other country and as a team, log the cache. 3. Use teamwork to find some or all of the caches in either country and log the cache.
I am thinking about minting some ANZAC Earthtags for the physical caches and some ANZAC coins for FTF prizes.
So, I would like some input on;
1.Worthy war memorials. These could be anywhere not just in the capitals. The more interesting and special the better. The final waypoint may end up being a memorial in Hill End or somewhere if it is worthy (if you are reading this many months later looking for clues, this does not mean anything and it is probably not at Hill End....or is it?)
2.Ideas for what to ask for by way of information off the memorial.
3.Design ideas for pathtags and coins.
4. Anything else that may help.
If your idea is particularly clever and you would rather not share it in public, please PM or email me.

Also, I would like some sort of input on whether you are likely to attempt the big one or more likely to get with a team for some or all of it.
This may be a GCA cache as I think I would struggle to get it published on GC.com

Please help

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: ANZAC themed Megga Multi

Post by Echo » 12 November 09 7:20 pm

Seems complicated? :-k

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 12 November 09 8:20 pm

It strikes me that maintenance of such a cache(s) is an issue. There are a number of such caches in existence already (eg. Frequent Flyer, The Aussie Icon series) and it may be worth asking the owners of such caches how they manage.

I have at least twice been stymied by cache legs being not available after having gone to some effort to get to them. I'm not keen for it to happen again!

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 09 8:55 pm

Alansee wrote:It strikes me that maintenance of such a cache(s) is an issue. There are a number of such caches in existence already (eg. Frequent Flyer, The Aussie Icon series) and it may be worth asking the owners of such caches how they manage.

I have at least twice been stymied by cache legs being not available after having gone to some effort to get to them. I'm not keen for it to happen again!
I was planning on enlisting local cachers to help maintain distant caches I might not get to for a month or two.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 12 November 09 9:17 pm

Perhaps contact Weary Banker & Bookworm in regards to their mulit-cache The Magnificent Journey.

I'm sure they could offer some useful tips on this sort of thing.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 09 9:34 pm

J_&_J wrote:Perhaps contact Weary Banker & Bookworm in regards to their mulit-cache The Magnificent Journey.

I'm sure they could offer some useful tips on this sort of thing.
Now THAT looks complicated!

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 28 November 09 10:23 pm

I have been giving this megga multi some further thought and obtained some photos and info on war memorials in my latest travels. I had pretty much decided it was going to be something like the Frequent Flier multi where the final coordinates are contrived from information obtained from memorials throughout Australia and New Zealand with a physical cache at the end. This gets away from the problem of maintaining the waypoints as war memorials tend to hang around for a good while.
Tonight I was reading the US forums and came across this http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=236799
Now I am wondering if I will get this cache published on the main site at all. The inference is that it will be reviewer dependant as it could be considered to have an agenda, which is against the rules of Groundspeak.
Doesn't seem right but I suppose the feelings of everyone have to be considered.

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 28 November 09 10:39 pm

There's a lot of leeway in the interpretation of agendas and commercial content and that sort of stuff.

Basically, don't get all jingoistic about "our brave boys" or "fallen heroes who gave their lives for Freedom" or the like and you'll probably be OK.

Let the locations speak for themselves.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 28 November 09 10:47 pm

theUMP wrote:There's a lot of leeway in the interpretation of agendas and commercial content and that sort of stuff.

Basically, don't get all jingoistic about "our brave boys" or "fallen heroes who gave their lives for Freedom" or the like and you'll probably be OK.

Let the locations speak for themselves.
Thanks Ump. That was my interpretation as well so glad you confirmed it. I was put back a bit by my lack of giving this any thought at all. We always think that WE are on the side of goodness and right but others do have differing opinions.

reasonjo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by reasonjo » 29 November 09 3:12 am

There is a beautiful War Cemetery at Adelaide River, a small town about an hour and a half south of Darwin. There's also a cenotaph on the Esplanade in Darwin City. There are a thousand and one war memorials and war sites up here - most of them are WWII as that war actually came to Darwin. I'm sure there are other's who know of some really cool spots, but I'll keep my eyes peeled and see what out-of-the-way or little known sites I come across.

I'm still new to the game, and pretty inexperienced, but I'll help maintain the Darwin caches if you place any here. My brother drives up regularly from Katherine so he'd help me out with the Adelaide River one if you put one there.

Give me a yell if you want me to go out and look for likely hidey spots. I'll go down and check out the Adelaide River Cemetery if you'd like me to and get some coordinates for likely hidey holes. I'd make a day of it and get a few caches on the drive down and back. Haven't cached past Batchelor yet :)

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 29 November 09 6:28 am

I've been reading this thread with increasing confusion. I read the link as well, and that just made it worse.

Am I correct in my understanding: we are not supposed to place a cache if we have an "agenda"? (I am assuming an agenda to be a motive.)

So what exactly are the reasons we ARE allowed to have?

Just to place another cache is not a good reason.
Anything else is an agenda - isn't it?

Or is it that I am allowed to have an agenda, as long as I don't actually SAY so?

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 29 November 09 8:27 am

Black Bunny wrote:I've been reading this thread with increasing confusion. I read the link as well, and that just made it worse.

Am I correct in my understanding: we are not supposed to place a cache if we have an "agenda"? (I am assuming an agenda to be a motive.)

So what exactly are the reasons we ARE allowed to have?

Just to place another cache is not a good reason.
Anything else is an agenda - isn't it?

Or is it that I am allowed to have an agenda, as long as I don't actually SAY so?
I don't think we need to get bogged down in this. I think it is a rule that Groundspeak can use if need be to limit commercial or extreme points of view. I can't imagine them pulling this rule out very often.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 29 November 09 8:54 am

reasonjo wrote:There is a beautiful War Cemetery at Adelaide River, a small town about an hour and a half south of Darwin. There's also a cenotaph on the Esplanade in Darwin City. There are a thousand and one war memorials and war sites up here - most of them are WWII as that war actually came to Darwin. I'm sure there are other's who know of some really cool spots, but I'll keep my eyes peeled and see what out-of-the-way or little known sites I come across.

I'm still new to the game, and pretty inexperienced, but I'll help maintain the Darwin caches if you place any here. My brother drives up regularly from Katherine so he'd help me out with the Adelaide River one if you put one there.

Give me a yell if you want me to go out and look for likely hidey spots. I'll go down and check out the Adelaide River Cemetery if you'd like me to and get some coordinates for likely hidey holes. I'd make a day of it and get a few caches on the drive down and back. Haven't cached past Batchelor yet :)
Thanks for the offer. I was up that way this week and did do some forward intelligence gathering. I have a location in mind and it is one of the places you mentioned.
At this stage, I am probably going to make the waypoints "virtual" so there will be minimal maintenance required but it is still good to have a local reporting on the location. Councils can close off access by fencing off work areas etc so I may be in touch in the coming months.
At this stage it looks like I should have it together by about April or May 2010