Wet Cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
80rangie

Wet Cache

Post by 80rangie » 15 December 08 10:24 am

Hi All, As a newby I have a quick question.

Yesterday I went in search of a cache which is very close to my home. I found it fairly quickly. (Once I worked out that the datum on my GPS needed changing).

The cache itself is more or less out in the open and when I found it the lid had come off and as we have had a fair bit of rain lately it was completely full of water.

I have taken the cache home to dry out and should have it back in place by tomorrow.

I am wondering if this is the correct thing to do or should I have left it there and logged a maintenance required note.

Also should I note on the log that I have taken it for repair or perhaps contact the owner to inform them.

As I said taking it home to repair it seemed to be the best option but I hope I haven't upset any rules by doing so.

Hopefully someone can set me straight, Thanks 80 Rangie :?

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 15 December 08 11:10 am

Maintaining the cache is a good thing to do. - Just let the owner know (so they can monitor DNF's while it is out of commission).

Fixing or logging a maintenance note is a bit subjective, and really depends on such things as: your distance from home, extent of damage, your ability to repair, etc. Your common sense and good judgement will prevail.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 15 December 08 11:30 am

Put a note on the cache page so the owner and any other hunters know that the cache is not at the normal location and why.

When you return it again put a note that it is back in position.

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 15 December 08 11:54 am

ian-and-penny wrote:Maintaining the cache is a good thing to do. - Just let the owner know.
I support ian and penny's view. As a cache owner I certainly appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Certainly a note on the cache page will let all know the current state of play.

Keep up the good work :D

Post by Guest » 15 December 08 12:57 pm

Or you could just post the WSG84 co-ords in a comment rather than telling people to switch... ;)

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 15 December 08 7:36 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:Or you could just post the WSG84 co-ords in a comment rather than telling people to switch... ;)
Huh?

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 15 December 08 8:25 pm

I have found a few caches in recent times that have become wet with all the rain. I normally log needs maintenance because I thought it would have been against the rules to take it, though I do feel guilty about not doing anything. Perhaps I will be more proactive in the future. :)

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 16 December 08 10:52 am

Being in the wet state, this occurs quite often. Have usually found that ten minutes of the car heater on full blast dries out most caches, and a bit of duct tape will fix most ingress points.

Post by Guest » 16 December 08 11:40 am

Boagsratz wrote:Being in the wet state, this occurs quite often. Have usually found that ten minutes of the car heater on full blast dries out most caches, and a bit of duct tape will fix most ingress points.
Someone in another thread pondered about an unused tampoon in the cache, and someone else suggested it might be to soak up water ;)

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 16 December 08 3:22 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
Boagsratz wrote:Being in the wet state, this occurs quite often. Have usually found that ten minutes of the car heater on full blast dries out most caches, and a bit of duct tape will fix most ingress points.
Someone in another thread pondered about an unused tampoon in the cache, and someone else suggested it might be to soak up water ;)
Hahahaha Image