GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 18 August 08 10:47 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:The cache is named for the cache owner, not the budgie itself. Different reason.
So "Eagle Mountain?" would be okay?
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1BMT6
Yes, Eagle Mountain? would be fine.
What about birds that can't fly like Mission Cassowary or 'Course a Kiwi Can :P :?:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 August 08 10:59 am

rhinogeo wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:The cache is named for the cache owner, not the budgie itself. Different reason.
So "Eagle Mountain?" would be okay?
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1BMT6
Yes, Eagle Mountain? would be fine.
What about birds that can't fly like Mission Cassowary or 'Course a Kiwi Can :P :?:
The first one, nope. Not animal powered flight.
Second one, nope, refers to the tobacco company not the kiwi (which can't fly anyway).

svn07
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Flying

Post by svn07 » 18 August 08 8:49 pm

There are other creatures that fly...besides birds :lol:

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: Flying

Post by Dik: » 18 August 08 9:46 pm

svn07 wrote:There are other creatures that fly...besides birds :lol:
YES :twisted:

Alpini
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Alpini » 19 August 08 12:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
calumphing_four wrote:18. Modern Pentathlon and 27. Triathlon
Does a puzzle listed cache, that requires information to be gathered from at least 2 or 4 spots count?
E.g GCQHDV - Witch Cache
Ahhhhh! Now I understand. I was very confused there for a while.
'fraid not :-(
The clue caches would not be considered waypoints as they are caches in their own right. In the context of these two requirements, we'd be looking for waypoints within the same cache.

Hi just to get that right.
The cache cited did not have WP in its listing. As the info was obviously around the given coords.
However I have one example here where you need to get data from 4 TBs which are spread around and from the TB link you get to the TB page and from there to the Cache where it is hidden.
In my eyes this qualifies for the requirement: 18: Modern Pentathlon
Find and log or hide a physical cache that has 5 or more waypoints including the final cache location in order to claim this requirement. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger. Example is GA00019 The fifth Element. So as long as you can proof with your logs that you got the TBs in 4 different caches this fullfills the 5 WP criteria. It is not stated that the WPs have to be directly on the cache page (although I see the ease for checking). Please confirm my understanding.
Regards,
Alpini

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 August 08 3:40 pm

Alpini wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
calumphing_four wrote:18. Modern Pentathlon and 27. Triathlon
Does a puzzle listed cache, that requires information to be gathered from at least 2 or 4 spots count?
E.g GCQHDV - Witch Cache
Ahhhhh! Now I understand. I was very confused there for a while.
'fraid not :-(
The clue caches would not be considered waypoints as they are caches in their own right. In the context of these two requirements, we'd be looking for waypoints within the same cache.

Hi just to get that right.
The cache cited did not have WP in its listing. As the info was obviously around the given coords.
However I have one example here where you need to get data from 4 TBs which are spread around and from the TB link you get to the TB page and from there to the Cache where it is hidden.
In my eyes this qualifies for the requirement: 18: Modern Pentathlon
Find and log or hide a physical cache that has 5 or more waypoints including the final cache location in order to claim this requirement. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger. Example is GA00019 The fifth Element. So as long as you can proof with your logs that you got the TBs in 4 different caches this fullfills the 5 WP criteria. It is not stated that the WPs have to be directly on the cache page (although I see the ease for checking). Please confirm my understanding.
Regards,
Alpini
Your understanding is not correct.

A cache is not considered a waypoint in this context.

You are looking for a cache that has intermediate waypoints, not a cache that uses other caches or travel bugs to achieve.

Alpini

Post by Alpini » 19 August 08 5:48 pm

You are looking for a cache that has intermediate waypoints, not a cache that uses other caches or travel bugs to achieve.
Hi,
thanks for making me change my plans. In other words I accept your decision. However, I still do not agree with the flow of arguementation. In this cache there are "changing" WPs as individual caches involved. They are obviously up to five unless two TBs are in the same cache, which probably never happened as no one would give away two TBs in one cache...
Let's see if that cache fits some other criteria (I doubt it except wrestling and 4x4).
Ah what about sailing? The given coordinates are somewhat in front of a beach... is there a 200 m rule off shore as well? Would the adminitrator be satisfied with that?
Regards,
Alpini

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 August 08 6:01 pm

Alpini wrote:

Hi,
thanks for making me change my plans. In other words I accept your decision. However, I still do not agree with the flow of arguementation. In this cache there are "changing" WPs as individual caches involved. They are obviously up to five unless two TBs are in the same cache, which probably never happened as no one would give away two TBs in one cache...
Let's see if that cache fits some other criteria (I doubt it except wrestling and 4x4).
Ah what about sailing? The given coordinates are somewhat in front of a beach... is there a 200 m rule off shore as well? Would the adminitrator be satisfied with that?
Regards,
Alpini
Refer this clarification which may assist with the misnomer about 200m.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 867#114867

If you could post (or PM me) the waypoint ID (GC code) and the requirement I can provide a better answer.

Basically the CACHE must be alongside the waterway or beach, not the posted co-ords. If the co-ords are in the water then I assume the cache is not there (unless it's an underwater cache). If the cache is not at the posted co-ords then I don't know where the cache is unless you tell me.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 August 08 10:20 pm

For ones like Decathlon the cache claimed needs to have been placed before 1/8/2008. That's cool. What about the other 9 you list in the justification? Do they all need to be older as well?

Doesn't affect what I have planned for the weekend but thought it worth clarifying for all the participants.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 08 10:31 pm

richary wrote:For ones like Decathlon the cache claimed needs to have been placed before 1/8/2008. That's cool. What about the other 9 you list in the justification? Do they all need to be older as well?

Doesn't affect what I have planned for the weekend but thought it worth clarifying for all the participants.
Yes, yes they do.
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php

Caches for the game must be published before 00:00:01 1 August 2008 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) unless the requirement clearly states an exception.

If you are claiming it for the game, it must meet this rule.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 23 August 08 9:23 am

I note the wording of aquatics states:
2: Aquatics
Find and log or hide a physical cache that you can swim or wade to in order to claim this requirement. You may not use any watercraft to assist you in getting to the cache. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.
In particular, does the word "CAN" mean that you "HAVE TO"? To me the wording suggests only that swimming is possible, but that you are not absolutely required to (as long as you don't use watercraft).

This is in contrast to the much stronger wording of kayaking:
8: Canoe / Kayak
Find and log or hide a cache that required you to use a kayak, canoe or other watercraft to find the cache and you actually used the kayak, canoe or watercraft to find the cache in order to claim this requirement.
Mind you, I have no idea if I can find a cache and method where I can use the wording of Aquatics to get out of getting wet during a cold winter!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 August 08 12:08 pm

SamCarter wrote:I note the wording of aquatics states:
2: Aquatics
Find and log or hide a physical cache that you can swim or wade to in order to claim this requirement. You may not use any watercraft to assist you in getting to the cache. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.
In particular, does the word "CAN" mean that you "HAVE TO"? To me the wording suggests only that swimming is possible, but that you are not absolutely required to (as long as you don't use watercraft).

This is in contrast to the much stronger wording of kayaking:
8: Canoe / Kayak
Find and log or hide a cache that required you to use a kayak, canoe or other watercraft to find the cache and you actually used the kayak, canoe or watercraft to find the cache in order to claim this requirement.
Mind you, I have no idea if I can find a cache and method where I can use the wording of Aquatics to get out of getting wet during a cold winter!
That is correct.

As an example, depending on the tide, you may need to wade to the cache OR if the tide is low, you can walk to it without getting wet.

The cache should indicate that wetness is a possibility though.

You can't really just approach the cache from the wrong side of the creek and jump over it as even though you 'could' have got wet the cache didn't require you to get wet.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 23 August 08 1:49 pm

SamCarter wrote:Mind you, I have no idea if I can find a cache and method where I can use the wording of Aquatics to get out of getting wet during a cold winter!
Here's a cache that qualifies ... Derringer's Wet'n'Wild but you won't be able to avoid getting wet :P

Richary

Post by Richary » 25 August 08 9:59 pm

I know we haven't got there yet but the final requirement of finding a cache placed on the 29th of any month - would that include caches placed 29/8/08 or 29/09/08 - or does it require ones placed pre 1/8/08 as for the rest (except the 0808 one). The wording doesn't make it perfectly clear.

Just to clarify for all the players 8)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 August 08 11:47 pm

richary wrote:I know we haven't got there yet but the final requirement of finding a cache placed on the 29th of any month - would that include caches placed 29/8/08 or 29/09/08 - or does it require ones placed pre 1/8/08 as for the rest (except the 0808 one). The wording doesn't make it perfectly clear.

Just to clarify for all the players 8)
Most excellent question.

1: 0808
Find and log a cache that was hidden or published on the 8th August in any year or the published co-ordinates contain two instances of the number 08 in order to claim this requirement.

30: XXIX
Find and log a physical cache that was hidden on the 29th of any month in order to claim this requirement.

The difference is in bold.

Requirement 30 also needs to be read in conjunction with the rules http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php which requires Caches for the game must be published before 00:00:01 1 August 2008 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) unless the requirement clearly states an exception.

As there is no clearly stated exception for requirement 30, the rule takes precedence and therefore the cache must have been published before the game started.