GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 08 August 08 1:29 pm

Coffee and Cache wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
If it's your team, then you must also meet the requirement to claim this cache: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0337

Wrestling and GA0337 ! - Not a pretty sight :lol:
<p>
Thanks for the answer.
<P>Be careful what you wish for!

Gwennie1984
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Gwennie1984 » 09 August 08 4:47 pm

For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Does it count if the word ring is within the cache name but not on its own, ie. keyring?

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 August 08 8:46 pm

I was about to ask a question on the same requirement - i.e. is "rings" acceptable instead of "ring", or for #15 Hockey "sticks" instead of "stick"

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 09 August 08 8:59 pm

Gwennie1984 wrote:For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Does it count if the word ring is within the cache name but not on its own, ie. keyring?
They've already knocked me back for the word 'bar' as part of 'Barnes', so I would expect keyring to be out as well.

Not sure how Richary will go with a plural...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 August 08 9:06 pm

Gwennie1984 wrote:For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Sorry, but no. The word needs to appear as a word unto itself.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 August 08 9:07 pm

richary wrote:I was about to ask a question on the same requirement - i.e. is "rings" acceptable instead of "ring", or for #15 Hockey "sticks" instead of "stick"
Plurals are acceptable.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 August 08 3:16 pm

Please note the following problem and resolution.

1: 0808
Find and log a cache that was hidden or published on the 8th August in any year or the published co-ordinates contain two instances of the number 08 in order to claim this requirement.

Note: This requirement originally appeared on the website with the following additional verbiage - If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger. This was an anomaly and should not have appeared. As some game members have made a claim against the original text, their claims will stand. If you wish to make a claim against the original text and your cache was hidden on 080808 then if you make a claim, your claim will also stand.

I apologise profusely for the confusion.

Richary

Post by Richary » 10 August 08 11:21 pm

20: Sailing
Find and log or hide a physical cache that is located on the beach or at the edge of a lake in order to claim this requirement.
<p>
Just to clarify - this has to be on a beach or lake, or can it be a on a headland overlooking the ocean? The cache I have in mind is probably closer to the ocean than any beach hides. I understand the difference between it and #19:Rowing as it doesn't include rivers or creeks etc.

four-fun
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by four-fun » 10 August 08 11:28 pm

Requirement 1. 0808
Does the wording 'published on the 8th August in any year' mean that it includes the caches published on the 8th August 2008?

Richary

Post by Richary » 11 August 08 12:21 am

four-fun wrote:Requirement 1. 0808
Does the wording 'published on the 8th August in any year' mean that it includes the caches published on the 8th August 2008?
<p>Hi mate - was looking at the same option as there were none here that were placed on 8/8. Deliberately targetted one in Vic on a work trip (slight detour but no rush on that trip) last Wednesday but held off claiming it in case something better came up locally (which it hasn't). So anyway got 28 points for that I wouldn't have otherwise.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 August 08 10:56 am

four-fun wrote:Requirement 1. 0808
Yes, yes it does.
From the rules:
Caches for the game must be published before 00:00:01 1 August 2008 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) unless the requirement clearly states an exception.

The exception applied to requirement 1 is:
1: 0808
Find and log a cache that was hidden or published on the 8th August in any year or the published co-ordinates contain two instances of the number 08 in order to claim this requirement.

So, the newest XoE caches (or any cache) hidden or published on 080808 is fair game.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 11 August 08 2:48 pm

richary wrote:
20: Sailing
Find and log or hide a physical cache that is located on the beach or at the edge of a lake in order to claim this requirement.
Just to clarify - this has to be on a beach or lake, or can it be a on a headland overlooking the ocean? The cache I have in mind is probably closer to the ocean than any beach hides. I understand the difference between it and #19:Rowing as it doesn't include rivers or creeks etc.
Anywhere next to the Ocean is fine. A vertical beach maybe? :lol:

Rowing is A natural waterway includes creeks, streams, billabongs, lakes, rivers, ponds, oceans, seas, bays and any other natural location that has water either running or standing
Sailing is located on the beach or at the edge of a lake so a lake (enclosed body of water greater than 500m long and 200m wide) or ocean ONLY

Peter

HZ1278

Post by HZ1278 » 12 August 08 11:47 am

This might be a silly question but I am having trouble working out how the points system works. Can some one please explain? Cheers

caughtatwork

Re: Points

Post by caughtatwork » 12 August 08 11:55 am

HZ1278 wrote:This might be a silly question but I am having trouble working out how the points system works. Can some one please explain? Cheers
Sure thing.

Points are awarded on the basis of:

* (Difficulty + Terrain) * (Cache Type + Cache Container)

Cache Type Ratings:

* Other* = 1 Point
* Traditional = 2 Points
* Multi = 3 Points
* Mystery / Puzzle / Unknown = 4 Points

* Note that for the purposes of this game, other means any physical cache that is not a traditional, multi, or mystery / puzzle / unknown cache.
Cache Container Ratings:

* Other* = 1 Point
* Nano / Micro = 2 Points
* Small = 3 Points
* Regular = 4 Points
* Large = 5 Points

* Note that for the purposes of this game, other means any physical cache that is not nano / micro, small, regular or large.

So if you find a difficulty 2, terrain 3 cache which is a traditional cache and it is regular size you get:

(2+3) * (2+4)
5 * 6
30 points.

If you find a difficulty 4, terrain 1 cache which is a multi and is a large cache you get:

(4+1) * (3+5)
5 * 8
40 points.

Does that help?

HZ1278

Post by HZ1278 » 12 August 08 12:07 pm

I see you times them together. Umm sneaky I am use to a "x" not a "*".
Thankyou for clearing that up for me.