Hawkesbury Canoe Classic

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TheFourC's

Hawkesbury Canoe Classic

Post by TheFourC's » 12 June 08 5:49 pm

I am planning on entering the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic this year. It's a 111km paddle down the Hawkesbury River from Windsor to Brooklyn overnight on the 1st/2nd November.

I was wondering...
1) Has anyone done this before?
2) Does anyone have any coordinates for any of the checkpoints (especially major)
3) Is anyone thinking of doing it this year?
4) Any hints or tips would be very much appreciated.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 13 June 08 3:19 pm

Sorry can't help you with many details, except one of the check points is normally at/near the Sackville Ferry.

There are a few caches along the river banks you might be able to use those as waypoints. eg.Cables Near the Oval

I always wanted to do the Classic, but I am not a competitive paddler, just a fisho.

My brother , nephew and I did paddle from the Grose River to Windsor bridge one day, 18kls roughly in 4.5hrs and we were mucking around a little bit.

TheFourC's

Post by TheFourC's » 26 June 08 9:51 am

You should give it a go Swampgecko. You don't have to be a competitive paddler to enter. About half the people entering are first-timers, and some are completely new to paddling. Some people go in it and have never paddled more than 2 hours before (not something I would recommend). A lot of people pull out at Wisemans Ferry (about 65km into it). The atmosphere is amazing.