GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
strong-arm
500 or more caches logged

Post by strong-arm » 01 September 08 11:26 pm

Regarding this one:
GeosportZ wrote:10: Decathlon
Find and log ten caches of any type in two consecutive days in order to claim this requirement. When making your claim, list the highest point claim you can and in the justification include the waypoint codes (either GC or GA) for the other 9 caches that you found over the two day period.
Does this have to be over two days or can you do it over one?

Can you use locationless caches as part of the "other" caches?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 08 10:04 am

strong-arm wrote:Regarding this one:
GeosportZ wrote:10: Decathlon
Find and log ten caches of any type in two consecutive days in order to claim this requirement. When making your claim, list the highest point claim you can and in the justification include the waypoint codes (either GC or GA) for the other 9 caches that you found over the two day period.
Does this have to be over two days or can you do it over one?

Can you use locationless caches as part of the "other" caches?
The rules requires over two days, so that's what would be needed.

Caches you claim for the game must be physical caches. i.e. Virtual and / or locationless caches are not acceptable for this game.
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 03 September 08 7:02 pm

If a cache had a swimming attribute, but you didn't want to defy the "no swimming" sign at the cache location and used a boat instead , could you claim 8: Canoe / Kayak instead, even though the cache description doesn't indicate that some type of watercraft is required in order to find this cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 September 08 7:21 pm

Dik: wrote:If a cache had a swimming attribute, but you didn't want to defy the "no swimming" sign at the cache location and used a boat instead , could you claim 8: Canoe / Kayak instead, even though the cache description doesn't indicate that some type of watercraft is required in order to find this cache.
8: Canoe / Kayak
Find and log or hide a cache that required you to use a kayak, canoe or other watercraft to find the cache and you actually used the kayak, canoe or watercraft to find the cache in order to claim this requirement. The cache description must indicate that some type of watercraft is required in order to find this cache. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.

Relevant bit in bold.

red tag
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by red tag » 04 September 08 8:25 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Gwennie1984 wrote:For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Does it count if the word ring is within the cache name but not on its own, ie. keyring?
Sorry, but no. The word needs to appear as a word unto itself.
does the word 'ringing' qualify as a word unto itself?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 September 08 9:31 pm

red tag wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Gwennie1984 wrote:For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Does it count if the word ring is within the cache name but not on its own, ie. keyring?
Sorry, but no. The word needs to appear as a word unto itself.
does the word 'ringing' qualify as a word unto itself?
A quick word with Facitman and we'll allow it.
Why?
Plurals are OK, so being an adjective or verb is also OK.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 September 08 12:51 am

Going to go for Decathlon this weekend with a nice high point cache (weather permitting).

Question - if I find the high point cache on Saturday but don't complete the 10 until Sunday which day should I claim it for? Just to be fair in case in ends up being the decider in a countback on points vs dates for a position.

If
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 05 September 08 1:29 am

I have just run into an obstacle I didn't expect because I didn't read the requirements :oops:
Unfortunately this requirement seems to negate any hides that are being made during the geosportz period :?
"Caches for the game must be published before 00:00:01 1 August 2008 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) unless the requirement clearly states an exception"
I don't see any exceptions :cry:
Does this statement invalidate all hides (and claims made against such hides) made after the first of August 2008 ?

I tried to make a claim on a cache hidden after 1st Aug 2008 and got knocked back.
There seems to be an awful lot of claims made against the 8-8 requirement which are as rare as hens teeth in previous years. Surely these claims are as invalid as mine, the cache being hidden after the first of August this year ?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 08 9:57 am

richary wrote:Going to go for Decathlon this weekend with a nice high point cache (weather permitting).

Question - if I find the high point cache on Saturday but don't complete the 10 until Sunday which day should I claim it for? Just to be fair in case in ends up being the decider in a countback on points vs dates for a position.
You lodge the claim for the day you found the cache you claim. So if you find the highest points on Saturday, use that date for your claim.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 05 September 08 9:58 am

If

Yes the rule is that a cache needs to be hidden prior to game start to be eligible for finding. This avoids people hiding a cache specifically to enable other players to meet a requirement. The 0808 requirement specifically states "hidden or published on the 8th August in any year". this is the "clearly stated exception" so we are approving find claims against caches hidden on 8th August 2008.

For requirements with an hide option, clearly we expect the hide will be dated after the 1st Aug 2008 but other than 0808 these hides will not qualify for use on find claims.

I don't believe that we have approved any finds against caches hidden after 1st Aug except for the 0808 case.

Hope this clarifies the rule.
Peter

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 17 September 08 6:52 pm

Given that Requirement 29 involves posting a photo with the cache log, is it possible to have links to the photos/logs for those that have claimed this requirement?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 September 08 11:05 pm

McPhan wrote:Given that Requirement 29 involves posting a photo with the cache log, is it possible to have links to the photos/logs for those that have claimed this requirement?
Good idea. It's been added to the ladder page visible right now.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 September 08 11:07 pm

Don't forget. Only 6 days to go.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 25 September 08 8:45 am

Quick question: How long before it starts? :roll: :lol:

mm

ninasclan
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Geosportz

Post by ninasclan » 01 October 08 9:27 pm

What a great activity. This was our first caching games experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't make it to the 888 points (well done to the 15 teams that did!). I stayed up until midnight last night trying to use a bank of caches we'd prepared earlier in a bid to hit that 25th spot. Seems I wasn't the only one with that idea. In the end I just threw all my finds into the game.

Thanks to everyone who worked behind the scenes on this one. You certainly were kept busy last night.

Congratulations to the winners.