Geocaching Africa?

Other issues that relate to international Geocaching.
VikingOlly
Twitter: Vikingolly

Geocaching Africa?

Post by VikingOlly » 17 June 12 10:44 pm

Anyone had experience geocaching in remote Africa? Botswana, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Tanzania? I'm heading that way soon with some trackables from Oz.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching Africa?

Post by akkatracker » 19 June 12 8:40 pm

I have cached close to the Tanzanian Border. The caches tend to be decent and be sure to get the earthcaches.

VikingOlly

Post by VikingOlly » 13 July 12 8:00 am

Good suggestion on the latter. I was wondering how secure the traditional caches are from being muggled.

stanley
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by stanley » 13 July 12 12:46 pm

We cached in Cape Town a few years ago but not remote Africa. We did release an Australian geocoin which travelled around South Africa and Zimbabwe or maybe Botswana. Its goal was to come back to us in Australia which it did a month ago! Did not expect it to last either by being muggled or taken, but it did.
Have fun and stay safe and come back and tell us about your travels.

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 25 July 12 9:02 am

In Kenya caches do sometimes survive if they're either very remote, or in a relatively secure area and the security staff have some incentive to keep them un-muggled. There are also virtuals and Earthcaches, which mostly can't be that easily muggled...

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 25 July 12 9:31 am

There aren't that many caches in 'remote' Africa but in Cape Town and Semi remote south Africa we found some great caches including one on an abandoned fort from the Boer war that is little known about

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 25 July 12 11:00 am

There is a powertrail in the Cradle of Humankind to the west of Jo'Burg, if thats your thing. The caches start with GPS (Gauteng Powertrail Series). I didn't do any as the lodge I was satying at was a bit too far away (only had walking shoes), but the route is popular with cyclists. I think there was something like 230 in the series.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 25 July 12 2:03 pm

Got every cache in that area but the gps. Quite sad but we were on a holiday, not caching

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: craigjw

Post by hgl » 26 July 12 1:14 am

VikingOlly wrote:Anyone had experience geocaching in remote Africa? Botswana, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Tanzania? I'm heading that way soon with some trackables from Oz.
I did a few caches while visiting Johannesburg a few years ago (nothing remote) the best thing I did was to hook up with a local Geocacher (through the GC forums), who took me around and kept me safe .. was great fun!

VikingOlly

Post by VikingOlly » 24 February 13 7:41 pm

:D Well we are back from Africa, and amazing it was, both to visit (again after 30 years) and for caching! We found caches in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya. First the ones in SOuth Africa are professional and very findable. There is one on top of the mountain (after you go up the cable car) that is particularly popular and a GREAT place to place and get trackables. My TB's set free in Cape Town travelled all over the world, very quickly. There is also some great traditional caches in Nairobi, one being "Karens Place" where my trackables moved fast and it seems secure. The really wild ones are in Kigali in Rwanda - a truly fascinatiing and seemingly safe place to visit.

Last, I left two caches out in the wilds of Botswana (within resorts) in the far north but neither has been visited yet!

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 February 13 8:32 pm

VikingOlly wrote::D Well we are back from Africa, and amazing it was, both to visit (again after 30 years) and for caching! We found caches in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya. First the ones in SOuth Africa are professional and very findable. There is one on top of the mountain (after you go up the cable car) that is particularly popular and a GREAT place to place and get trackables. My TB's set free in Cape Town travelled all over the world, very quickly. There is also some great traditional caches in Nairobi, one being "Karens Place" where my trackables moved fast and it seems secure. The really wild ones are in Kigali in Rwanda - a truly fascinatiing and seemingly safe place to visit.

Last, I left two caches out in the wilds of Botswana (within resorts) in the far north but neither has been visited yet!
Great work mate. The cache on Table Mountain was cache of the week on gc.com. If I ever go to Botswana (I'm in Africa every 2nd year) I'll make sure to find your caches.

VikingOlly

Post by VikingOlly » 10 June 13 10:03 pm

akkatracker wrote:
VikingOlly wrote::D Well we are back from Africa, and amazing it was, both to visit (again after 30 years) and for caching! We found caches in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya. First the ones in SOuth Africa are professional and very findable. There is one on top of the mountain (after you go up the cable car) that is particularly popular and a GREAT place to place and get trackables. My TB's set free in Cape Town travelled all over the world, very quickly. There is also some great traditional caches in Nairobi, one being "Karens Place" where my trackables moved fast and it seems secure. The really wild ones are in Kigali in Rwanda - a truly fascinatiing and seemingly safe place to visit.

Great work mate. The cache on Table Mountain was cache of the week on gc.com. If I ever go to Botswana (I'm in Africa every 2nd year) I'll make sure to find your caches.
I'm looking forward to someone finding my two caches in northern Botswana any time soon! as there are trackables in them!