Geocaching in Bali

Other issues that relate to international Geocaching.
the freaks

Geocaching in Bali

Post by the freaks » 08 October 09 5:01 pm

Heading over to Bali next week on a family holiday and I've managed to secure one day of the trip to dedicate to geocaching. I haven't done much research yet but see there is quite a few caches on the Island.

Just wandering if anyone has done some geocaching in Bali and do they know of any "must do" caches in Bali?

Cheers, Shane :wink:

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Geocaching in Bali

Post by Gunn Parker » 09 October 09 11:13 am

I know there are or at least was some over there. I'm heading over myself next year and will see what's available too.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 October 09 9:05 pm

I am pretty sure Freddo or Team Astro has been over. They might offer some advice.

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 03 November 09 10:52 pm

I go to Indonesia every 18 months or so, but haven't been since I started caching. It'd be nice if there were as many on other islands as there are in Bali! They're few and far between elsewhere.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 13 December 09 7:49 pm

Any cachers going to be in Bali in January?

Tealby
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Tealby » 14 December 09 9:37 pm

Caching in Bali is a very different experience to anything in Australia. It is very difficult to place a cache in a public area because the locals are so curious & these caches tend to go walkabout very quickly. Therefore caches tend to get placed on private property with local cache "guardians". In many cases you go to a spot & ask for the box & it is handed to you :shock:.

I haven't been caching in Bali in the last 2 years & there have been a few new ones placed in the meantime, so I cannot comment on those. I did hire a driver & do a big loop trip over 2 days & I think we got a grand total of 5 caches! So even though Bali is a small island, it is not quick to get around, so don't imagine you'll be able to clean out all the caches in a couple of days.

A couple of my favourites were:
1. Campuhan Ridge - even though it is on private property, you get to search for the container - plus my sister Urch placed the cache!! Do the scenic ridge walk from Ubud early in the morning to beat the heat - or you can even stay on site
2. Jatiluwih - the scenery is very special, but it is out of the way & you will need a driver to get there - plan to stop here for morning/afternoon tea or lunch
3. Tanah Lot #2 - this is a GCA cache & I am the only finder to date, so I am not 100% confident the cache will still be there, but the location is well worth a visit regardless of the presence or otherwise of a cache - you search for this cache on the beach in the rocky headland
(Note - there are several virtual GCA caches in Bali, so if the GC.com selection looks a bit lean, then you should check out those too - not all of them are listed as being in Indonesia though, so you need to check the map - try centering a search around Volcano Bali - which by the way is a great cache to do if you are planning to do the downhill bike ride - lots of fun.)

I think I listed the contact details for the driver we had while caching in Bali, so check my logs if you want someone who knows what caching is all about - it's not that expensive to get a driver for the whole day.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 14 January 10 11:23 pm

Going on Tuesday, if anyone wants any bugs taken. PM to arrange pick up.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 November 10 11:27 pm

http://coord.info/GCPE46 Great Dane is a fantastic cache. Takes a bit of time and a taxi though.