Offline US Caches

Other issues that relate to international Geocaching.
firesafe
10000 or more caches found

Offline US Caches

Post by firesafe » 16 August 09 2:56 pm

I was having a look at my US finds from July and it shows that a number of the caches are offline in GCA but on checking GC they are alive and well.

Is there a way to change them from offline to online??

I have tried uploading the gpx files from GC

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Re: Offline US Caches

Post by setsujoku » 16 August 09 3:10 pm

The only way that they can be marked as active is through the feed, but as the feed doesn't update those caches there isn't any way to re-activate those caches.
Uploading GPX files doesn't change the status of a cache back to active, even if there are finds from yesterday for example.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 August 09 3:49 pm

firesafe wrote:I was having a look at my US finds from July and it shows that a number of the caches are offline in GCA but on checking GC they are alive and well.

Out of interest, is there any NEED to do this? (Just curious)
I say this because I would expect no-one would be using this site to look for caches outside of AU/NZ

We can only do so much with what we have, and unless geocaching.com open up their database, we won't be able to actively track OS caches.

firesafe

Post by firesafe » 16 August 09 4:25 pm

I was curious myself as you go to my finds page and there are 20 or so red with lines through which are the US ones but not all of them - strange...

If it cant be done then so be it. :)

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 16 August 09 5:58 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to label non-Aus/NZ caches with a "not updated" indicator and/or a different strikethough to differentiate them from the archived Aus/NZ ones?

Nilbog_Aus
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Nilbog_Aus » 16 August 09 6:52 pm

CraigRat wrote:
firesafe wrote:I was having a look at my US finds from July and it shows that a number of the caches are offline in GCA but on checking GC they are alive and well.

Out of interest, is there any NEED to do this? (Just curious)
I say this because I would expect no-one would be using this site to look for caches outside of AU/NZ

We can only do so much with what we have, and unless geocaching.com open up their database, we won't be able to actively track OS caches.
I have a couple of caches OS. It would be nice to have a way to mark them as active again so they show up correctly in my stats and graphs.

Definitely not a need but it would be nice.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 August 09 9:40 pm

Unfortunately, the way that the feed works is that we don't get a feed for archived caches. I think you can all work out why this is.

Once a cache goes without a feed in 10 days we assume that it's no longer coming through in the feed as it's been archived. There is little we can do with regards to archiving of caches that aren't archived.

If it's an overseas cache that IS archived, then no feed comes through and it gets archived.
If it's an overseas cache that is NOT archived, then no feed comes through and it gets archived.

See the dilemma? We can't differentiate between archived because it's archived and archived because we don't get a feed :-(

There are some possibilities for marking caches unarchived, but once they get archived at the source, we leave them as unarchived because they were set to not-to-be-archived so then we get people complaining that a cache SHOULD be archived but isn't.

We're caught in the middle.