Visiting Sydney, Canberra, Gosford, Central Coast

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
LettyN

Visiting Sydney, Canberra, Gosford, Central Coast

Post by LettyN » 14 November 05 10:37 am

Hello!
I'm coming over to Australia for three weeks in April 2006. Probably starting out in Sydney, then moving to Canberra and Gosford (visiting my Australian boyfriend's relatives in these three cities). Possibly staying near Anna Bay for a while.

It'll be my first time down under, and I'm looking forward to it. Any tips for caches we shouldn't miss? Do I need to bring some sort of poking device to ward off spiders and snakes (having lived in snake-free Ireland, and adders-only Netherlands, I'm not too familiar with them)?

Touristy tips welcome too!

Don't worry, I know all about the drop bears. Nasty buggers.

Letty
Last edited by LettyN on 26 November 05 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LettyN

Post by LettyN » 26 November 05 4:45 am

No tips at all?

We like a good hike.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 26 November 05 6:30 am

Poking device? pick up a good stick while you are walking... but more importantly just be observant. Most snakes will have moved on before you reach where they were(that sound right? :? ). Bring a torch, and flash that around in any holes before you go poking your hand in there. Any snake that you spot should be given a wide berth. Wider the better, the closest encounter I had was with a death adder making his way between my booted feet. Total distance from my quivering flesh would have been a couple of centimetres. If you end up in that situation, or similar, just remain calm and let the snake decide what it wants to do.

Be careful of the spiders, in particular the various types of the Funnel web spider, They like the moist cool spots normally favoured by caches.

But in saying all this, there are few funnel web spider bites reported each year.

Enjoy the Aussie Bush, and the drop bears are not a problem any more, the cane toads ate them.......

lattejed
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by lattejed » 26 November 05 7:56 am

Whilst I have visited Anna Bay and Sydney, Canberra is my town and I will let others advise you on the other places.

Of course there are more qualified people than me but if you have wheels you have a lot of caches in easy driving/riding distance from the city centre that will get you into the aussie bush. Here is a short list of caches to get you into the local bush.

Rememberance Park
Putting all my clothes on
Pins and Needles
Mirror image
City country
Mt Majura Flat
Third time lucky

Vernon's View if almost the centre of the city so it's not a bad one to give you an idea of distance and direction from the city.

You have a very good chance to see kangaroos on most of these, but especially City country and Mt Majura. There are plenty of more challenging caches nearby but you would need a car to get you in the area. cheers Peter

LettyN

Post by LettyN » 26 November 05 11:11 pm

Excellent, thanks for that (both of you)!
<br>
Looking at the Death Adder, I think Dutch adders should now be renamed 'Minor Discomfort Adder'.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 26 November 05 11:11 pm

See http://gallery.geocaching.com.au/Maps/gc_ACT_19aug05 for an idea of caches throughout the ACT. I can send you an updated map and/or one with more detail of the urban area if that helps. <P>Do you know where you will be staying and what transport you will have access to (foot, public transport, bike, car)?<P>There is a good selection of caches both rural and urban, a lot of which tend to be located on hills :wink:

Grank

Central Coast / Gosford

Post by Grank » 08 December 05 8:08 am

More than enough caches in the Central Coast / Gosford area to keep you very busy. Use postcode 2250 in the GC.com search or on this site look for Grank, Pesky!, Wyoming Wombats, C.O.D , Shifter Brains and you will get a good 90 or so caches available on the Central Coast area.
<br><br>
Suggest you carry some gardening gloves, I do.

LettyN

Post by LettyN » 08 December 05 10:31 pm

Thanks again. We'll probably be renting a car, except within Sydney, where we'll just use public transport. The gloves are not a bad idea, I should start using them here in Ireland for the muddier caches.
Also planning to go into the Blue Mountains. Am already looking forward to it and it's still 4 months away!

Grank

Post by Grank » 18 December 05 1:38 pm

If there are areas that you're interested in visiting here is a link to aussie postcode lookup (we have a different postcode allocation to where you live - it is by area not by house). It is here http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/search/tools.jhtml
In this way you can lookup the postcode of areas you will visit and search on GC.com by postcode for the caches.