Visiting Sydney-Melbourne-Uralla-Rockhampton

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
dirich92
200 or more found
200 or more found

Visiting Sydney-Melbourne-Uralla-Rockhampton

Post by dirich92 » 04 August 05 12:55 pm

Hi there, dirich92 here. We're visiting from the United States and have what feels like a suitcase full of travel bugs to place in a cache. Most of them are racers in an Aus-Aus (Australia-Austin) travel bug race. The event cache we held to gather the bugs is GCPM5F on gc.com. We're looking for a suitable large cache in the Melbourne area to place them in for the beginning of the race. Are there any events coming up in the next week which might draw lots of cachers?
<br><br>
We're currently driving from Sydney to Melbourne via Prince's Highway. Saturday we'll be on the Great Ocean Road. Then we're planning on driving back near Sydney and Katoomba next week, arriving at a farmstay near Uralla on 14/8. After a fortnight in the area, we'll be off to near Yeppoon for the remainder of our visit, with a few side trips to tropical north Queensland and the gemfields (to make our fortune :D ).
<br><br>
Any suggestions on caches not to be missed or events to visit would be most welcome. We can be reached through either gc.com or gc.com.au. Internet access is spotty, but we can find access at libraries.
<br><br>
dirich92 is Di and Rich and two boys, 4 and 3.
<br><br>
Thanks!
<br><br>
--Di

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 04 August 05 7:13 pm

Unfortunately many of the inner city caches in Melbourne are too small to hold any large number of TBs :shock: <br><br> The nearest cache (that I know of) of a reasonable size to the Melbourne CBD is <b>BT VI – The Big Men Fly GCN1EC</b> which would probably hold a few - and is located near the Melbourne Cricket Ground :) - parking should be easy as long as you don't visit on Saturday or Sunday afternoon :wink: <br><br>If you're travelling back to NSW via the Hume Highway don't forget to stop off and find some caches on the way through NE Victoria. Some caches not far off the highway (and worth a break to stretch you legs) are: <br>If you want a bit of a detour you can visit the site of Ned Kelly's shootout with the police at Stringybark Creek at <b>Stringybark GCJRTT </b> and then turn towards Wangaratta via the Mansfield-Whitfield Road and visit another bushranger's hideout and enjoy some great views at <b>There's something about Harry GCM3MH </b><br><br>Enjoy the journey, and good luck :D

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 04 August 05 9:03 pm

Theres not too many caches (or cachers) in Rockhampton... but I think you'll find that most of the ones that are there are quality caches. You should have fun with most of them.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 04 August 05 9:15 pm

Well there are a number of caches in the Rocky and Yeppoon area.

3 to 4 year old friendly caches

Walking on Trash
Inner City Rainbow
What's The Time Mary?
Double Head
The Borough
Woddaview You will need a 4WD to get to it
ALEXANDRA I have not found it yet (not the lack of trying) but easy walking so far

If you can get a babysitter

Rocky View Your'll need about 1 hour
Jim's Cache Your'll need about 2 hours
Your a Dead Man Dooghan Your'll need about a day to do it
The SLEEPING GIANT Your'll need about a day to do it

Dooghan

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 04 August 05 11:50 pm

If you're in the Brisbane neighbourhood on the weekend of the 27th August, drop by at the Qld 4wd Bush Bash . link here<p>There should be a couple of spare seats & plenty of cachers to have a chat with. :wink: <p>... Geoff ...

dirich92
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by dirich92 » 05 August 05 5:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We are planning on the Hume Hwy for part of the way back to NSW, and we won't be against the clock as we are now (need to meet my parents tomorrow). We've been looking forward to the Rocky area caches for a long time, and will have a babysitter (again, my parents) so can do some of the longer ones.

I'll check the calendar for 27-Aug and see where we'll be.

Thanks again!

--Di