Vacation Between Sydney and Melbourne

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
fhlai

Vacation Between Sydney and Melbourne

Post by fhlai » 08 June 05 11:45 am

I'm new in geocaching and haven't tried any. I bought a Garmin Etrex for a month and want to use it for navigation and fun. I will go to Australia and hire a car for vacation for 8 days in August. I've tried to find an electronic map of Australia having coordinates, but I couldn't find one. Can anybody give me a hand to find one and suggest a route of cache between Sydney and Melbourne.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 08 June 05 11:59 am

What exactly are you after? Maps that you can load into your etrex or a map for use with an application like Oziexplorer?

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 09 June 05 5:19 am

Our Garden To Garden (State) will keep you busy for a little while :wink:

fhlai

Post by fhlai » 09 June 05 11:43 am

As I only get 8 days, please advise a route that is good for sightseeing. I have been there once long time ago. Would that be a good trip through Snowy Mountain to Melbourne?

Thanks

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 09 June 05 12:49 pm

It certainly would be, but the main road through will probably be closed. You can probably still go to the Snowy's and then around.

An alternative is to stick to the coast.

Sydney - Melbourne

Post by Guest » 09 June 05 11:00 pm

Thank you. Do u know how to get GPS coordinates along the route?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Sydney - Melbourne

Post by riblit » 09 June 05 11:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thank you. Do u know how to get GPS coordinates along the route?
What do you want coordinates of, caches, service stations, eateries?

fhlai

Post by fhlai » 10 June 05 12:08 am

I'm planning the route from Sydney to Melbourne. Therefore if there is a soft map, then I can work out the waypoints with coordinates of the places of interest.

Thanks in advance.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 June 05 11:10 am

Mind Socket wrote:It certainly would be, but the main road through will probably be closed. You can probably still go to the Snowy's and then around.

An alternative is to stick to the coast.
<p>The Cabramurra-Khancoban Road is closed from the start of the snow season in June until October (subject to snow conditions), but the Alpine Way remains open throughout the winter (but chains must be carried) and would be a good way to get from Cooma to Corryong.<br>Alternately you could visit Canberra for a day or so and take a side trip to the Snowy Mountains before continuing down the Hume Hwy to Melbourne<p><p>Ther eare LOTS of caches handy to the Hume Hwy from Albury/Wodonga all the way to Melbounre<p>

fhlai

Post by fhlai » 10 June 05 11:53 am

Where can I get the waypoints of the caches?

Post by Guest » 10 June 05 1:04 pm

fhlai wrote:Where can I get the waypoints of the caches?
<p>PM me your email address and I'll email you a gpx file and 3 jpgs of map images which cover the Hume Hwy from Albury/Wodonga to Melbourne (and a lot of NE Vic) with all the caches marked on them :) <p>

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 June 05 1:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:
fhlai wrote:Where can I get the waypoints of the caches?
<p>PM me your email address and I'll email you a gpx file and 3 jpgs of map images which cover the Hume Hwy from Albury/Wodonga to Melbourne (and a lot of NE Vic) with all the caches marked on them :) <p>
<p>The above post is mine - I don't know what happened - somehow I got logged off :shock: </p><p>A suggested caching itinerary for the southern park of your journey:<br>
Travel down the Hume after visiting Canberra<br>
Find 2 caches in Holbrook (north of Albury)<br>
Find a dozen or so caches in Albury/Wodonga<br>
Drive from Wodonga via Yackandandah and Beechworth and pick up another couple of caches<br>
After Beechworth you could flex down to Myrtleford and find the one cache there before heading for Benalla via Milawa (where you could visit the wineries and cheese factory)<br>
Just before Benall at the Mokoan Rest area on the Hume Hwy there is a cache, and another one in Benalla<br>
If you overnight in Benalla there is a great night cache that starts in the nearby Reef Hills and is well worth doing if you have the time<br>
There is another cache in Violet Town and 2 in Euroa (and 4 not far from Euroa in the Strathbogies)<br>
From Euroa you could take the Euroa-Mansfield Road to Merton picking up a cache on the way before finding another couple near Yea (Over and Under is just north of Yea and well worth finding)<br>
From Yea you could return to the Hume via the Broadford-Flowerdale Road and find the first cache that was placed in VIC, 'Melbournes 1st"<br>
Continuing on to Melbourne, there are too many to mention.....
:D

fhlai

Flea Market

Post by fhlai » 11 June 05 10:13 am

My wife loves to see things at flea market wherever we travel. Please give us directions to some flea markets in Melboure and Sydney.

Thanks