Best Perth and Brisbane Caches for holidayers

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Colonial Marine

Best Perth and Brisbane Caches for holidayers

Post by Colonial Marine » 28 February 05 6:47 am

Hello all,

Me, Mrs Marine and Mini Marine (aged 2) will be visiting Perth (Scarborough) and Brisbane (Gold Coast and city center) in April this year. We will spend roughly 10 days in each city. No disparaging comments about the areas please, we have already booked, and compared to crappy London I bet they are perfect! :wink:

Please can you suggest your favourite caches for us to seek out and have some fun exploring and seeing the sites in and around our areas.

We will have a hire car all the time (not 4x4) so are happy to travel anywhere up to say an hour or two out of each city.

To keep Mrs Marine and toddler happy please keep the footslogging to a minimum, ie no big hikes (say longer than 1-2km from the car) and please (as much as possible in a tropical paradise like Australia) keep away from any stingy bitey beasties! :shock:

Also I will do my best to assist with any travel bugs with long range travel aspirations both from here in the UK and of course bringing some back from Australia to the UK.

Thanks in advance

CM

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 28 February 05 1:24 pm

Have a look at the geocaching.com.au recommended caches for each state:

http://geocaching.com.au/search/?sr=qld (For Queensland/Brisbane)

http://geocaching.com.au/search/?sr=wa (For WA/Perth)

These are the caches that the locals themselves recommend.

If you're coming to Brisbane make sure you fit in the 'Looking' Series by the dohertys, i.e.:

Looking Around Windsor, Qld ••• •· dohertys
Looking Back Corinda, Qld •• • dohertys
Looking Down (Virtually) South Brisbane, Qld ••· • dohertys
Looking Good Breakfast Creek, Qld ••· •· dohertys
Looking Out (Virtually) South Brisbane, Qld •· •· dohertys
Looking Sharp Hamilton, Qld ••• • dohertys
Looking Up Myrtletown, Qld ••• • dohertys
Looking About Tarragindi, Qld ••· •• dohertys
Look No More Enoggera Reservoir, Qld •••· •• dohertys

Geoforce 5

Travel Bug needs safe passage to UK.

Post by Geoforce 5 » 28 February 05 9:31 pm

I have to agree with the Garner Family - the Looking Series is fantastic (I'm halfway thru them). Another one you may be interested in is -

"Where Eagles Dare" by jrfreak. In this cache is a travel bug (his name is Doornob) who would very much like to make it to the UK. I forgot the TB number and am awaiting the owner to contact me in the next few days. The cache itself could easliy be picked up when you arrive or on your way to the airport to leave- (5 min drive). Will post his TB number as soon as I have it.

Geoforce 5

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 28 February 05 11:59 pm

Doorknob: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 8140c99847

He hasn't been logged as being taken out of Treason yet.

belken

Post by belken » 01 March 05 12:40 am

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 02 March 05 6:04 am

Wow, what a comprehensive reply!

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Team CM

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 02 March 05 6:20 am

The Garner Family wrote:Doorknob: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 8140c99847

He hasn't been logged as being taken out of Treason yet.
If doorknob is still about I'll do my damndest to get him back to the UK for you!

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 09 March 05 10:38 pm

If you're looking for a mate to tag along with while in Qld, we'll be glad to help. Can organise a 4wd trip up the beach. :D

... Geoff & Mel 'OMY130' ...

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 18 March 05 8:10 am

OMY130 sorry for delay in replying, Ive been all over the shop with wife and toddler organising and spending money on travel goodies, and not much time to cache!

Thats a very generous offer about the 4WD ing. We are a bit pressed for time unfortunatly as this is a scouting trip for a planned imigration, hopefully sometime towards Christmas. I can't say day to day what we will be doing because I want to arrange appointments so I'd hate to let you down at the last minute.

How about we both keep any eye on this thread, and once we arrive in Auatralia we will hopefully have a better idea what we are doing after a few days? I shall hopefully pop into an internet cafe and keep up to date. I also want to buy an Australian sim card for my mobile so I dont have to remortgague the house just to make some calls!

Then if you and I DO have some free time that coincides we can get together.

Thanks again

Rory (CM)

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 18 March 05 9:09 pm

No worries mate, I'll send you a contact number & when you're in town give us a call.

... Geoff ...

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 30 March 05 5:37 am

Juat a little heads up, any travel bugs you want to see good old blighty please let me know, I'll do my best to pick up. Team CM arrives in Oz on 09/04/2005. Im sooo excited, I even got some custom made cache calling cards made! COOL 8)

J. Edgar

Post by J. Edgar » 30 March 05 9:28 am

Heya,

Just an addit to some of the caches mentioned by belken.

If you visit Neil's Front Yard during the early morning or late afternoon, you will see wild kangaroos hopping about. Take a bag of parrot seed with you and hand feed the galahs and cockatoos. Plus, it's only a 5 minute drive (or less) from a major shopping complex. Have lunch and a coffee before/after your hunt!
belken wrote:We are fairly new but we can recommend some that we have enjoyed. We think they are all good spots for visitors and are kid friendly.
I'm fairly new also, and have logged some of these caches. However, I have to question if Hill Nod and Trigg Or Treat are kid friendly. Sure, Hill Nod has a great park, but you wouldn't want to take a 2 year old on the sandy track up the hill. Best to leave the little one with mum or dad at the park. IMHO, Trigg or Treat is a fair hike. I wouldn't take my 10 year old on that one.

Like belken, I can certainly recommend Running Waters for sure. Great place for a barbecue, and a great playground for the little one. We live nearby and take our kids there from time to time.

I'm sure you'll have a great time none-the-less.

Enjoy your trip!

Jamie