Any hints for a visitor?

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
mathgeek

Any hints for a visitor?

Post by mathgeek » 23 July 04 5:59 am

I'll be visiting Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Cairns, Port Douglas and Alice Springs.
I'd like to drop off and possibly take some travel bugs.
Are there any travel bug caches in these areas?

Where would be the best place to get a more detailed map of Australia for my gps?

Thanks!

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 23 July 04 10:54 am

We have a cache along the Great Ocean Rd and it just so happens that the finders today left a TB in it. Maybe this is an option for you.<p>The cache can be found here Lock the car George<p>The Rats

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: Any hints for a visitor?

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 23 July 04 11:32 am

mathgeek wrote:Where would be the best place to get a more detailed map of Australia for my gps?
<p>
When you say "for my gps", do you mean MapSource, MapSend? Or do you mean digital scans for OziExplorer? Or something else?
<p>
If the former, you need to specify the brand name of your GPSr.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 23 July 04 6:10 pm

By the way, I'm willing to help. I just need to know if I can help.
<p>
Feel free to send me an email through the forum with details, and we'll see what we can work out.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Phlosten

Post by Phlosten » 23 July 04 9:49 pm

From what I gather, if you went to the Great Ocean Road from Melb by car and tripped back through ballarat you would be in the area of heaps!.
<p>
My parents are just over an hour from the 12 apostles and next time we are down there we are planning to do quite a few caches.
<p>
try geocaching.com searches for Lorne 3232, to start down there.
<p>
www.whitepages.com.au's postcode finder to locate more in the other areas.

Mikkozzz
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Mikkozzz » 24 July 04 4:13 am

dak's Emu Mob wrote:
mathgeek wrote:Where would be the best place to get a more detailed map of Australia for my gps?
<p>
When you say "for my gps", do you mean MapSource, MapSend? Or do you mean digital scans for OziExplorer? Or something else
<p>
<p>
I have the same question. My device is Magellan SporTrak Pro. MapSend WorldWide Basemap covers Australia, but is it any good? Are there any other maps that even a computer dummy like me could upload to his device? :roll:

At this point I would only need areas around Sydney, Melbourne, ACT and perhaps Blue Mountains. I have travelled to almost every corner of Australia on my five trips there, but that was before I know of geocaching. Now I must repeat those journeys seeking caches and good maps are useful in process :lol: :lol:

The Brumby Mob

Post by The Brumby Mob » 25 July 04 9:08 am

Mikkozzz wrote:MapSend WorldWide Basemap covers Australia, but is it any good?
In a word NO. It is the greateast waste of money I have ever been stupid enough to invest in. Try The Great Desert Tracks or DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks, I use DiscoverAus but believe GDT is equally as good.<p>
Good luck with the caching,<p>
Dave

mathgeek

Post by mathgeek » 26 July 04 4:00 pm

When you say "for my gps", do you mean MapSource, MapSend? Or do you mean digital scans for OziExplorer? Or something else?

I have a Garmin e-trex vista. Currently I have some of the Texas MapSource maps on them. Are there maps of Australia that can be downloaded to the gps?

Thanks for all the hints so far! I've very excited about this trip.

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 26 July 04 5:05 pm

Sorry mathgeek. I'm a Magellan user, so I don't have any Garmin mapping tools. I don't know of such maps being available for download.
<p>
I was in the U.S. last year, and I put out a similar request to yours for maps. A cacher kindly 'lent' me his US Streets and Destinations CD, for which I am eternally grateful. Perhaps someone here can provide the same courtesy.
<p>
Of course, you can purchase MapSource maps for Oz. The CD is about AUS$180 (US$130) at Johnny Appleseed over here (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/).
<p>
Good luck, and enjoy your trip downunder.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

major tom

help

Post by major tom » 21 October 04 4:30 pm

Iam traveling over here and I am using youth hostels to stay at and i used multimap to locate hostels using the post code.on this map it gives the lat and long but it still does not get me very close to the hostel 900mtr out.I feel that it needed another digit with the lat and long.I know that we use wgs84 and i wanted to change the set up to find hostels I use an etrex so there are plenty of changes there but which ones for australia. there is also an x y on the map could i use this .I hope that I have explained things ok.
any help please,
major tom & family